The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Straps...please don't start fighting

I know this has been done before, but I figure what the heck I'll ask again and give my opinion.

So last night I did deads, and for the first time ever I used straps. I usually do deads 5x5 of 315. So last night I used straps and was able to bump up my weight 350 - 365. It was so much easier, and my back is tired, not sore, but much more tired than normal. So I'm going to have to say that using straps really helps. I know the argument is you don't get a good forearm workout if you use straps, but I work my forearms directly so it shouldn't matter.

I was just wondering if this is how others on this bored feel as well.

E.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you are a bodybuilder then I don't see straps as being a problem. Its when you are a competitive powerlifter that its a big no-no.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I'm a big fan of using straps

but IMO for the sake of 35-50 lbs I would lay off the straps as you are allready lifting heavy without them

if it's the difference of 100lbs then yes

I don't think you really can't build a grip the same way by training forearms

it doesn't hit my fingers the same way as deads

just my opinion...

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Re: Straps...please don't start fighting

tuttut

You increased weight by 50lbs in one go, that is not a smart move, 50lbs is a big differnce to your tendons/ligaments.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    I agree with both these guys.

When im deadlifting, I started using straps for my lighter sets, saving my grip for the heavier sets. This way I can pull more (for my hammies and back) but I also am holding more naturally (for my grip). You might wanna try it, if you care about your grip at all, because as holto said, forearm doesnt = finger grip.

Oh, and if you did want a finger grip excercise... You know those one gallon watter bottles, that have a little strap on them at the top? Or i guess a regular gallon bottle would work. You can do finger curls or static finger holds with those. *OUCH* for realz....

D&G,

I totally agree with you, but I moved up slowly to see what I could do. I didn't just jump in at 350, I bumped it up slowly...5LBS at a time...and 350 wasn't to much of a strain. So I think I'll be alright, but thanks for the warning.

e.

I use straps only on back day. I could probably do most of my lifts w/o straps on that day, but I really don't want my grip to limit my sets for back. Any other exercises or lifts which require me to grip (walking lunges, dead lifts, Barbell shrugs, close grip chins, RDL) I don't use straps. With deads, I really couldn't decided whether to use straps or not. When I found out that alternating hand grip really helped, I decided not to use them. Also, I consider the DL as a whole body lift. Using straps kinda defeats that purpose for me. Yes it's just forearms, but I think it makes a difference. My grip has improved dramatically ever since I started doing deads w/o straps.

The ironic thing about deads for me is that I usually crap out not because of my grip, but my back.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I use straps for heavy deads and for shrugs.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I use them for rowing and deads. I find that they really let me concentrate on squeezing my back while rowing, instead of worrying about my grip the whole time.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock