The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Hit the Plateau

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Hit the Plateau

I've hit the wall and need some suggestions.

I began lifting about 4 months ago. I've had great results. Added 15 lbs. of mainly muscle in 3 months using the body for life 3 day a week workout. Upper body one day, lower two days later. 2 excercises per major body part. When I began lifting I improved my eating habits. Take a supplement shake at 3 p.m. and have some form of protein post workout in the evening, either myoplex or can of tuna. Jus started taking creatine 2x daily as well. Have been on Cytovol the entire time but I'm running out and have bought all that I have been taking at 1/4 of the price on sale. Probably not going to pay $70 for a month supply.

I have the encylopedia of bodybuilding which I consult often. My initial thoughts are to increase protein intake, begin a diff. split where I am working out 5 days a week instead of 3 and hit muscle groups with more exercises.

My philosophy is eat and lift iron. I have a free weights and smith machine at home. I have a good workout partner.

Any suggestions.

Paul

6'
    175 lbs.
    very low bf
    ectomorph build

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

if you've been on the same routine/schedule for 4 months your long overdue for a workout change.
    Change out exercises + order

only stay with routines for 10-12 weeks then switch it up to shock your muscles a bit

If you plateau in that period try breaking out with small weight gains, the gym I goto has platemates which let you raise the weight in .25lb increments so you can ALWAYs make gains.

Else try switching up the order for 1-2 workouts
    or try using creatine for 2-3 weeks
    these all help me

ps, watch the books you read, most preach high volume routines with many splits because they are based on steroid loving competitors that recover quickly...if your not on the gear those workouts aren't right for you and will just lead to overtraining and quick burnout

Originally posted by geoffgarcia
    only stay with routines for 10-12 weeks then switch it up to shock your muscles a bit
    No offense geoff, but I thought this was a BB myth?
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Dont think so, IMO constant change really helps to keep me from hitting plateaus so severely. Granted, I still have them, but not as bad as when I stuck to the same routine for months on end.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

I don't know what it's worth, but I've been using the same routine since I started lifting 7 months ago. The same exercises and even the same order, the only thing I change is adding extra weight and/or reps, and I've made great progress so far