Thread: Need some advice

Wannabebig Member

Need some advice

Well, I started wbb#1 at the beginning of July and I made some decent gains. I was 150 at the beginning of the summer and now I'm 178 (Im 6'2''). This week I'm not doing anything really, becasue last week I couldn't do ANYTHING, and i felt like I was going to collapse in the gym...nothing was going right, and BEFORE that (like 2 weeks ago) I was basically doing the same amount of weights, and not really progressing - so I figured I should change my rountine. I dont want to do wbb#2 because doesnt that increases the amount of reps, and I want to stay low b/c i want to get bigger? is anyone in my situation, or knows of my situation? and could you suggest a rountine? I'm trying to eat everything I can, and I still think im gaining weight (hopefully).

Here is what I could do 2 weeks ago:

Monday: Chest/ Back
    Chest: Bench - 6 @ 215
    - 4 @ 225
    Incline - 7 @ 185
    - 6-7 @ 185
    Cable Flys - 14 @ 80
    - 10 @ 80

Back Pull ups - 10
    - 7 W/ BW + 20lbs
    - 6 '' BW + 25 lbs
    Dead lift - 8 @ 155
    - 7 @ 185
    - 7 @ 185
    Barbell row - 7 @ 180
    - 7 @ 180
    Lat pulldowns - 7 @ 180
    - 6 @ 190

Tues: REST
    Wed: Shoulders, arms

Shoulders: Military - 7 @ 155
    - 6 @ 155
    DB mIlitary - 7 @ 70's
    - 7 @ 70's
    The things where you lift the dumbells up to shoulder height: 7 @ 40
    7 @ 40
    Tris: Skulls: 7 @ 75
    5 @ 85
    Close grip Bench: 7 @ 165
    7 @ 175
    Push downs 8 @ 80
    8 @ 80
    Bis: BB curl 7 @ 95
    6 @ 95
    Preachers: 7 @ 90
    6 @ 90
    DB curl 7 @ 50
    7 @ 50
    THurs: REST
    FRi: LEG - same as WBB

Wannabebig Member
    woops, switch wed and fri....legs go on wednesday....also for legs:

Squat:
    8 @ 185
    7 @ 195

Leg extension:
    7 @ 115
    6 @ 120

Quad machine:
    8 @ 80
    7 @ 90

Calf raises
    8 @ 120
    8 @ 130

what do you mean by not progressing? you mean not increasing lifts, or not gaining weight?

how does your diet look?
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    not progressing as in if I put on an extra 5-10 pounds, instead of doing 4 - 225, I would be doing the weight twice, which really doesn't seem effective....I have tried adding more weight, but all I have done is hurt my rotator cuff....(mainly adding weight to incline bench and military)

My diet is actually good, last time I checked I was taking in around 3100 calories....it's kind of hard to track my calories since I eat at college and some of the food I eat is all mixed and stuff...but I eat at least 5 meals a day, for example today:

1)
    5 eggs, 2 yolks, 3 whites
    2 pieces of bread...the 12 grain slice with like 26 carbs per slice
    17 g protein shake w/milk + a cup of orange juice

2) roast beef sand. w/ like 5 pieces of cheese, a LOAD of pasta + rice w/olive oil, 2 glasses of milk....4 glasses of water...string beans....1 cup of yogurt....bannana....

3) peanut butter sand.w/ tunafish (I LOVE it) w/ a plate of rice w/ olive oil

4) plate of pasta w/ olive oil, 3 chicken breasts, salad, 2 cups of milk, 4 glasses of water....bowl of oatmeal...

5) protein shake w/ milk....bowl of oatmeal....
    Last edited by jcny19x; 09-18-2003 at 04:58 PM.

If you can't increase the weight on the bar, increase your reps until you can make the jump.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

its my opinion that I haven't reached a plateau until I've stayed at the same weight for at least 1 month.
    Since I work body parts once a week I dont think 2 weeks is representative of a plateau as there are to many variables.
    Try switching your order, taking creatine, eating more before workouts to get over plateaus...Also, track your workouts on paper at the gym so you know how much to do (exactly)

Also, you can't expect to go up in weight by 5lbs every week....
    if that were possible we'd all be be going up in bench lets see...about 260 lbs a year
    ya gotta be a little more patient for gains....I think if you can go up in bench (assuming you in shape, and just using bench as an example) 40lbs in a year thats AWESOME progress...that breaks down to 3lb increase a month so dont rush it and expect any more....hope that helps with a little perspective

Gonadius Maximus
    I was advised to do drop sets or negatives to get progression moving and it worked.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the advice....I've decided that I'm gonna stay on my original routine and try and break through this plateau....I'm still eating a lot, but I ONLY take whey protein....no creatine or anything else....as supplements (so i should be more patient I guess?). Geoff, what do you mean by switching my order? the order of my lifts?
    Last edited by jcny19x; 09-19-2003 at 03:38 PM.

jcny19x, yah the order of your lifts.
    like say in this order:
    deadlifts
    pullups
    rows
    shrugs

that your shrugs are plateaued, then try doing shrugs first for 2-3 weeks