The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

For those who have done bulking...

Tell me what your cutting calories, maintenance and bulking calories are

How long you bulk for

How much weight you gain

And if you know how much is LBM

I ask because I'm just starting bulking.
    My cutting calories are <2100 at which I'll lose 1 lb a week
    I seem to be able to maintain at about 2250-2350
    now I'm bulking and hitting an avg of 2600 this week, but I'm not sure its enough and if not how high I should go, 3500+ seems excessive (and almost impossible if your eating clean, unless your a competitor)

I get tons of protein, in 2500 calories I can easily get 220g of protein, 75g of fat and about 250g of carbs, should this be adjusted at all? (more fat, less carbs?)
    For supps I just take protein/carb shakes, fat, and have some glutamine I'm finishing up (dont think I'll use it again) and creatine kicks from time to time to get over plateaus

I'm 27 years old, 5'10, 180 and my bf is around 8-10% currently
    and have been lifting on and off since I was 17.
    I'd consider myself an intermediate to advanced lifter although I've never done any comps.

I have just completed my second WBB#1 schedule, lasted about 10 weeks, and have just started doing HST, this is the second time I've done an HST regime

But I'd like to bulk until late Dec and back on as much LBM as possible, so suggestions would be appreciated (preferably by people 22+ that have been lifting for at least 2 years, no offense to everyone else but I think knowlege comes with experience)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you are losing a pound of FAT a week at 2100cals, then there is no way you are maintaining at 2350.

1lb fat = 3500/7=500cals a day...so if you hit 2600 cals you should be maintaining.

I cut at 12cals per lb bodyweight, I bulk at whatever I can stuff in my face. Really for bulking why bother counting calories, unless you find it hard to eat huge amounts of food.

I think I may be a bit different from most on this board but when I used to bulk I would not worry about fat gain at all. Just keep an eye on your protein intake, keep it at 1.5-2.0 grams per lb of bodyweight. (that should start an argument!).

Burger king, McDs...eat everything train hard and heavy get a bit fat.
    Last edited by STM; 09-19-2003 at 09:13 AM.

The 'eat everything' approach is not a smart idea, I've done it in the past and had to drop 42lbs to be lean again, unfortunately most foods are so processed and loaded with sugars and trans fats that eating anything is a road to illness and obesity.

Calorie intake depends on what you do in a day, usually people go for about bw in lbs x 18-20, try it and see what works for you. No need to get hung up on exact numbers just look at the scales and in the mirror and you'll soon know if something needs changing.

It doesn't matter how long you bulk for, no one can tell you what to do, just go up to a point where you are happy that you've got something to show under the flab.

By the looks of your post your turning it into mathematic equations, there's simply no need - you can't weigh every single thing you put in your mouth so don't worry about it, just eat lots of good quality foods and see how things go, use numbers as guidelines only.

STM- I do have a hard time eating over 2600 calories in a day.
    I have about 7 meals per day currently, and can't imagine making room for more meals, so I guess I'll just try to add an extra 100calories to each meal to get into the 3200+ ballpark you speak of

D&G, I measure just about everything I take and track it all. Tracking what goes in and how it has affected my body has led to better results in the gym (for me) it sounds anal, but its easier than I would ever have thought and has given better results when I did my cutting cycle than i could have dreamed.

Ah for sure measuring things when cutting is important, you have to know what your eating but for bulking its too anal, if I want to eat an extra slice of turkey I'm not going to tot up the calories or weigh it, lifes too short.

Right now, I'm cutting, because I'm close to 20% bodyfat. Even though I still don't have much muscle, it would be hard for me to put on much more muscle at this point without gaining a lot more fat.

My bulking calories were 3000+ (generally under 3500), so my plan is to cut at 2000-2500.

Hope this helps.

I'm a bit different. I have a fairly high metabolism right now. I probably bulk between 6000-8000 calories (depending on training days) and am currently cutting right now on 3000-3500 (and losing weight).
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Damn Homer, you must be an animal.

bulking
    I'm cutting at about 2100 kcals too, my stats are:174 lbs, 8% BF, 6'1 height. I think I look pretty good/lean atm. Thinking about cutting just a little longer because I feel like I'm losing a lot of muscle now too.

Thinking about raising kcals at about +200 a week and see what happens, I figure I'll start gaining weight at around 2800/3000 kcals. Just don't want to see most of it as fat so I'll keep eating clean and keep doing my HIIT cardio. (atm I'm doing mad cardio, sometimes twice a day)

Re: For those who have done bulking...

Originally posted by geoffgarcia

How long you bulk for

How much weight you gain

What works for others will not necessarily work for you, and the calories needed to cut/maintain/bulk can change, due to factors such as dieting, LBM gains, etc. If you were to diet for extended periods of time your metabolic rate will have decreased, therefore the calories needed to maintain will have changed.

What I am getting at is that it is easier to adjust cals up/down each week, rather than getting hung up on numbers, formulas, etc.

I ask because I'm just starting bulking.
    My cutting calories are <2100 at which I'll lose 1 lb a week
    I seem to be able to maintain at about 2250-2350
    now I'm bulking and hitting an avg of 2600 this week, but I'm not sure its enough and if not how high I should go, 3500+ seems excessive (and almost impossible if your eating clean, unless your a competitor)
    It gets much easier if you focus on calorie dense foods, and 3500 cals would be easily attainable if you spread that amount over 6 meals per day.

I get tons of protein, in 2500 calories I can easily get 220g of protein, 75g of fat and about 250g of carbs, should this be adjusted at all? (more fat, less carbs?)
    Looks fine to me.

Re: Re: For those who have done bulking...

Originally posted by bradley
    What works for others will not necessarily work for you, and the calories needed to cut/maintain/bulk can change, due to factors such as dieting, LBM gains, etc. If you were to diet for extended periods of time your metabolic rate will have decreased, therefore the calories needed to maintain will have changed.
    Bradley's right. I doubt I'll be bulking again close to 8000 calories. But i do have a fast metabolism. I'm not a big guy, but I'm working on it. I think I'm able to eat more while cutting because I really incorporated cardio. You can only lose so much before it becomes necessary to lose more.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

When I was bulking a few months ago I was eating around 3500 calories. I don't have a fast metabolism, so I didn't want to put on a lot of fat. I put on 12 pounds in 4 weeks, and my bodyfat did not change significantly.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Originally posted by geoffgarcia

How long you bulk for

How much weight you gain

When I started my “bulk”, I ate 3200-3300 calories per day, and my maintenance level was ~3000 calories per day. Now after gaining ~15lb LBM, I eat ~3700 calories per day, and my maintenance level is probably ~3500 calories per day. If you are successful at gaining LBM during your bulk, then your caloric requirements will probably increase. A lb of muscle usually burns an extra 20-50 calories per day. I have never intentionally cut before.