Thread: How to increase my vertical jump?

Wannabebig Member

How to increase my vertical jump?

I'm basketball player and my jumping aint too bad but I want to increase my vertical jump. Not as in standing still and jump and jump higher like jump higher permanently you know. But the thing is i'm not sure what workouts should i be doing to directly increase it.

I heard that squatting and doing prometrics or something like that exercises would increase jumping height, doing both would further increase better the height they said. True or not?

I need to know prometric exercises to do and how often to do it... Really want to increase vertical jump....

Pls shoot out all your *** thank you very much
    Last edited by sockjordan; 09-22-2003 at 10:07 AM.

look into plyometrics, not prometrics(dont know what that is lol)

i can post some plyo exercises you can do later, but i got to run
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Wannabebig Member
    I'm sort of indirectly working on that right now. From what I've read, you don't want to do plyos until you have a 1.5-2 bodyweight squat. The reason for that is you need a good strength base and THEN you get the SSC. Beginners will get some gains from plyos. However, you want to see what your squat is. If it's heavy, but you can't jump high, then your RFD is too slow. You fix that through plyos and olympic lifts/power variations. If you already can jump fairly high, but can't squat worth anything, then you work on increasing absolute strength and then go back to get the RFD that was previously high.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm no expert on this, but I think that the way to go is to squat heavy 2 days per week, and in between do one day of plyometrics or speed work (using light weights, ~40%-60% of your max, and going for speed). That makes 3 workouts per week. If 2 days of heavy squatting per week is too much, cut it back to one. I'm going to start a program like this in a week or two.

Wannabebig Member
    ok good strength base - 1.5 times BW sounds reasonable so after that than start polymetrics right? thanks delldell... What is SSC and RFD means? I'm 5.7 weigh 135 lb only. i think i can squat max ....only 154lb. 1.5 times BW is about 200. after which i provide to polymetrics? is that right?

Why cannot do polymetrics right now? I mean what you mean is have a good 'base' before going to advance things but some people can jump higher than me with height and weight ratio almost the same what's the key to jumping high and higher beside jumping the right way?

i probably can squat more than my high jumping friends but their max jumping height is like 5 to 6 inches more than me! rims here are not standard height they are like lower a little only and and at 5.6 5.7 and dunkable is pretty ****ting good you know. But erm... not me of course ahha....
    Last edited by sockjordan; 09-22-2003 at 11:49 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Oh savage beast oh ok I'll try that.... sometimes i squat 2 times a week sometimes 3 sometimes i dont squat for weeks... sometimes i squat 50 % sometimes almost max you get the idea... how much can you squat?

SSC is stretch-shortening cycle. Its the mechanism describing how the energy of the eccentric action is absorbed and instantly reversed into the concentric action.

RFD is rate of force development, which is simply a measure of how fast force is generated by the relevant muscles.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Why wait until squat is 1.5x bodyweight? children have performed actions exactly like plyometrics daily, for years, and they do not have any problems (as a population group, not individually)

Wannabebig Member
    Because they're doing low impact stuff like bounds. If he was doing depth jumps, they'd kill the knees.

ok what's your goal with jumping do you want to be able to dunk? i found out if you want to dunk practice dunking, use a adjustable hoop and put it where you can barely dunk, and keep practicing. thats how i got to be able to dunk.

if rebounding is your goal, have someone throw the ball against the glass and you jump up and grab is, try to grab the ball at your highest level. then land and explode back up for the layup.

plyo, some exercises that helped me was...
    bounding- you want to jump as high and as far as possible, kindda like a standing broad jump, do this the length of the court.

bounding- this is jumping straight up as high as you can, try to touch the back board or rim or what ever. once you land explode right back up, (act like the ground is hot and you want to spend the least about of time on the ground) do this for x amount of reps

lung jumps/step jumps- two ways of doing this, first you can get in like a lung position, then explode up in the air and land with the opposite leg in front, then jump up again and switch legs.
    another way of doing this is find a step that is about waist high, put one foot on the step and push off with that foot straight up into the air, and land with the opposite foot on the step...

these are a couple of my fav plyo exercises, if you want pm and i could send you some more. ill try to find some pics or videos, to help explain better
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Wannabebig Member
    No. I do not really mean i liked to jump higher to be able to dunk, if i could dunk i would still want to be able to jump higher. I think rebounding is very important and height is an advantage. Untall people can compensate for their jumping abilities so getting higher is important.

Bounding... i think most people can doing this at the court except they do not go back up after they jumped. I do that sometimes during the match to get rebounds and also when self-alleying your own rebound.... I know it kinda of looks stupid jumping like that people would start laughing nvm i talk too much.

The lung jump can you explain why and how exactly is it for? Is it suppose to comcentrate on one leg at the time? And so the reason for the waist high steps?

You could type everything you know all types of plyo exercises you know no problem the more the better. nevermind the pics and videos ok. Thanks for the info...

will doing this get better? like after 1 month bounding gets faster and higher and the standing board jump further for instance?
    Last edited by sockjordan; 09-24-2003 at 03:31 AM.