The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Truth

Advantages/Disadvantages of full body routines

I know there are a few HST'ers here, maybe a few other full body people..

What do you consider to be the best things about a full body split? What are the worst things?

I've thought about trying one for a while now, gonna give it a shot soon, I think.

I'm either going to try a 4 day split, but twice a week for each muscle group frequency or a 3 day split fully body.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It allows you to work a muscle more (which is perhaps good) often but you cannot use as much weight as with a split. let's say you finish your full body with curl, you won't curl a big weight ! But if you do a split and have a day arms then you'll curl an heavier weight which means more growth ! Full Body also allow you to find "the optimal" a frequency which allows you to make progress every workout. It might be a Full Body once a week or once every 3 days, 5 days et.
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Gavan
    It allows you to work a muscle more (which is perhaps good) often but you cannot use as much weight as with a split. let's say you finish your full body with curl, you won't curl a big weight ! But if you do a split and have a day arms then you'll curl an heavier weight which means more growth ! Full Body also allow you to find "the optimal" a frequency which allows you to make progress every workout. It might be a Full Body once a week or once every 3 days, 5 days et.
    I disagree. In a traditional split routine by the time you get to those extra sets your muscles are usually tired and won't exeprience as much tension. What you're saying is that although the volume per muscle group per session is greater you can lift more weight which is obviously a contradiction. You're probably missing lack of condictioning something else I'm not sure what.

I don't know what's a traditional split, I spoke about a "arm day"

so you start with Curl then Extension for as many sets as you believe you need.

for me it means 1 set of Barbell Curl to failure rest 2-3 min then one set of Triceps Extension to Failure. I can use more weight on these exercices than if I do them after Legs, Back, Chest, Shoulders.

PS I'm back to High Intensity, I love to kill my CNS
    Last edited by Gavan; 09-22-2003 at 04:36 PM.
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

Wannabebig Member
    If you have enough energy for the workout, I usually notice that I can perform the normal weight for each muscle.

You are not fatiguing your muscle, just your body. If you replenish yourself with energy during a workout with either a sports drink or more time in between sets, you should achieve results similar to a split day training.

This is just what I have noticed. It will vary from person to person.

I make sure I have enough carbs to energize my whole workout.
    :|Alec

The main thing to remember if you do full body is that you really don't need to do say 15 sets for chest in a single day. Also try to vary the exercises, I find this helps. Occasionally I will over do it for one muscle group and press my luck, if the next workout day rolls around and I'm still hurting I will still work out, but I will hit that muscle group very light, light enough so by the next workout I will be ready to kick ass. This also teaches me something, it lets me know for example, "hey, next time don't do 4 sets pullups". You learn to recognize your breaking point very quickly with fullbody and you learn how to lift so that you feel rdy to kickass again by the time the next workout rolls around. Just never skip a workout, even if you got assDOMS up the wazoo, just hit it light, the body becomes used to the frequent training I think.

Your routine should be based on your goals. The best thing IMO would be to do all the compounds and hit every muscle in your body.

Raise or lower the sets, depending on how you feel that day. Lift light one day, or lift heavy, as long as you are lifting frequently I think gains will come.

Something like...

1 or more sets deadlift
    1 or more sets squat
    1 or more sets bench

Then hit the other muscles, like one set for these.
    rear delt
    front delt
    side delt
    bicep
    tricep
    hamstring
    calf
    abs
    lats

If you feel like killing yourself you can, just remember when the next workout day rolls around, you will pay for it. So you will have to keep that next workout light most likely, just don't skip a workout ever!

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Dedicated
    You learn to recognize your breaking point very quickly with fullbody and you learn how to lift so that you feel rdy to kickass again by the time the next workout rolls around.
    big bump...

My hst routine, although you didnt ask, involves

Bench Press
    Row
    Chinup
    Dip
    Front Squat
    SLDL
    Shoulder Press
    Curl
    CGBP (or any tricep extension)

very basic setup, 1x per exercise, maybe twice on compounds.

The Truth
    How do you guys periodize your training..because if you do a 3x frequency split, you're getting a lot more workouts in 4 weeks than a typical 1x split...

You just have a one heavy day a week, med, light... or you cycle it like a weeks...then go light for weeks...then work back up...

If I do full body, I'll probably do like
    r6phantom, just 1 set per exercise, maybe occasionally 2..all sets to failure though..guess I wouldn't on a light/medium day tho, so probably would have more sets to get the blood pumping. What TUT theory do you guys think is better...Mentzer 10/10 constant tension HDT or Arthur Jones style of first reps are slow, rest are explosive but since it's fast weight, it'll be slow anyway.

And how often do you full body guys change up rep ranges?

HST PRO'S:

MUSCLE GAIN
    NO "LEG DAY"
    GREAT PUMP

HST CONS:

VERY TIRING (IM USUALLY BACK TO BED 4 HOURS POST WORKOUT)
    JOINTS AND TENDONS WILL GET SORE TOWARDS THE LAST WEEK OR TWO
    Sychokid trying to solve an equation on AIM:

RolyPolyAA: 3x - 7 < 8.
    RolyPolyAA: okay well
    RolyPolyAA: minus 3x from one side
    RolyPolyAA: to the other
    RolyPolyAA: then take the 8
    WiNgS162k3: lol
    RolyPolyAA: and subtract it to the other side
    RolyPolyAA: and make them have sex
    WiNgS162k3: u dont know what the fvck ur doing!
    RolyPolyAA: until they produce a 69
    RolyPolyAA: and la la alal
    WiNgS162k3: LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RolyPolyAA: ;-)

The optimal workout time is just over an hour, after that time I imagine most peoples bodies have depleted their carb energy sources and you end up doing more harm than good.

I find the Full-body workout idea not so good for this reason, plus recovery time is so much higher.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Exnor
    The optimal workout time is just over an hour, after that time I imagine most peoples bodies have depleted their carb energy sources and you end up doing more harm than good.

The reason why you should keep your workouts under one hour has nothing to do with "carb energy", it's related to the negative impact it has on the endocrine system. It will leave you with a testosterone to cortisol ratio less conductive to muscle gains.

My full body workouts are always under one hour and I do up to three sets per muscle group.

I find the Full-body workout idea not so good for this reason, plus recovery time is so much higher.
    No it isn't.

Anyone has some FAIR, LOGICAL and reasonable criticism towards full body workouts, for a change?
    Last edited by restless; 09-23-2003 at 12:37 PM.

The Truth
    Originally posted by Tru
    How do you guys periodize your training..because if you do a 3x frequency split, you're getting a lot more workouts in 4 weeks than a typical 1x split...

You just have a one heavy day a week, med, light... or you cycle it like a weeks...then go light for weeks...then work back up...

If I do full body, I'll probably do like
    r6phantom, just 1 set per exercise, maybe occasionally 2..all sets to failure though..guess I wouldn't on a light/medium day tho, so probably would have more sets to get the blood pumping. What TUT theory do you guys think is better...Mentzer 10/10 constant tension HDT or Arthur Jones style of first reps are slow, rest are explosive but since it's fast weight, it'll be slow anyway.

And how often do you full body guys change up rep ranges?

i did 3x3 for a little while, and to be perfectly honest, i'm thinking of doing it again...

I'm liking HST so far. No CNS burnout from training to failure, and I get to hit all my muscles every 48 hours.

The Truth
    Bump for periodization, reps, and that ****.

Originally posted by Tru
    Bump for periodization, reps, and that ****.
    Make your own routine. Listen to your body, nobody can tell you what to lift better than you can. I mean it can't hurt, as long as you are lifting gains will eventually happen.

If you really need a routine though, check out the HST site.

This is what I did, btw I was gonna do HST at first but figured what the hell heh.
    I just picked a bunch of exercises, enough to where if I do one set of each I'm hitting all the muscles. So then I do at least 1 set of each every workout, and on some days if I feel like it I do more for a certain exercise. Like yesterday I did 4 sets of squats, 4 sets of cg bench, and 2 sets of bench. For everything else I did 1 set and kept it light for the most part. Today I feel great, some chest soreness but neither my triceps or legs are sore.

Try it, just pick some exercises, and do at least 1 set of each maybe 3 times a week or every other day. Play with the reps and play with the weights, vary them to keep it fun. As long as you are doing the exercises you picked frequently with some kind of weight, growth will happen.

I think picking the right exercises is the hardest part, cause you wanna pick enough so that you can hit all your muscles. If you decide to pick your own exercises, I would post what exercises you have in mind to get feedback so you can be sure you aren't missing any important muscles.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 09-24-2003 at 10:48 AM.

The Truth
    I have made my own routine...definitely not going to do HST.

My question is to people who do full body routines...how do they incorporate periodization....since the frequency is different, I assume periodization is a little different than a normal routine..

I will try a HST routine soon, the only thing I expect to find difficult will be the monotony of working the same muscle groups so frequently. Once a week keeps things fresh for me.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

Advantages:

Enjoyable - the post workout feeling is much better than localised fatigure - you know when you've trained hard because you don't want to move, I'm talking about after the workout and not DOMS.

Work the body as a unit - you have one heart, one stomach and all the muscles are linked up together so it makes sense to train them as a unit rather than a collection of parts.

Anabolic environment - chest or arm day doesn't have a really big move to kick start the hormones flying a full body workout starts off with a squat or a dead that gets the blood, test and GH pumping around the whole body which will help the other body
    parts. The big exercises also set the tone for the workout and drive your intensity levels up.

More frequency - get to add weight/reps more often to the big productive exercises, progression is what counts after all.

Aerobic benefits - shifting the blood from one muscle to another and keeping the pace up is great for the heart.

Old school - its how the greats trained back in the day pre-steroids.

Disadvantages

None that I've found so far unless your an obsessive gym rat who craves a pump.

The Tuna Tempter
    :withstupi

I'm really enjoying HST. I'm onto my 4th cycle atm. I really like the frequent training. Sometimes I train 3x a week, sometimes 5-6.

..the full body workout doesn't really get boring either. On my first cycle it did, but now I guess I'm used to it.
    Life's too short to be small

The Truth
    Originally posted by D&amp;G
    Advantages:

Enjoyable - the post workout feeling is much better than localised fatigure - you know when you've trained hard because you don't want to move, I'm talking about after the workout and not DOMS.

Work the body as a unit - you have one heart, one stomach and all the muscles are linked up together so it makes sense to train them as a unit rather than a collection of parts.

Anabolic environment - chest or arm day doesn't have a really big move to kick start the hormones flying a full body workout starts off with a squat or a dead that gets the blood, test and GH pumping around the whole body which will help the other body
    parts. The big exercises also set the tone for the workout and drive your intensity levels up.

More frequency - get to add weight/reps more often to the big productive exercises, progression is what counts after all.

Aerobic benefits - shifting the blood from one muscle to another and keeping the pace up is great for the heart.

Old school - its how the greats trained back in the day pre-steroids.

Disadvantages

None that I've found so far unless your an obsessive gym rat who craves a pump.
    So you've grown a lot off full body? Care to post your split?

The Truth
    I mean..what exercises you do...reps, sets, etc.

I've been doing 1 set to failure for everything, about 11 exercises. 10/10 HDT TUT.

Originally posted by Tru

So you've grown a lot off full body? Care to post your split?
    I'm growing well so far and adding weight every session, up about 6lbs in 3 weeks.

I did want to go to 3x per weekbut I don't think I could recover enough and would need more sleep than I could fit in.

I always just avoid failure, its very basic and uses low reps because they work best for me.

saturday:

Deadlifts (bent leg) - 4
    Flat DB press - 6
    Trap bar deadlift - 2x5
    overhead DB press - 1x6
    sit ups - 1x12
    pullup - 1x6
    L-flye - 1x10+

wednesday:

front squat - 6
    chin - 2x5
    dip 2x5
    sit ups - 12
    SLDL - 1x6
    calf raise 1x6

The Truth
    So you just do twice a week and not to failure?

What's your weight and bodyfat?

Originally posted by Tru
    So you just do twice a week and not to failure?

What's your weight and bodyfat?
    Yup, if I went to failure I'd never recover in time and I think three times a week would be just a little too much, I train within my capabilities rather than being impatient and trying to do too much.

I'm 192 @ 5'11 I don't know my BF but I can just about see my abs in the mirror when tensed. I'm naturally an ecto and I'm about 40lbs heavier than when I started training, most of that has been gained on low volume routines.