The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

To those who have a visual 6 pack

I have two simple questions

#1.What forms of exersizes did you do?

#2.How long did it take for them to become fully defined?

thanks
    Last edited by 2complex; 09-21-2003 at 05:18 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I am also interested in this thread, I am aiming to get a visible 6 pack in 6 months. Do you think that is possible @ 6'1 166lbs? (sorry, I don't have a digicam)
    - James

I have one of these at my gym....

http://www.pedan.dk/produkter/profes...ine/bio4z1.jpg

Not sure if they are any good though? Comments?
    - James

Abs are all about bf%. Forms don't really matter just so long as your abs are at least fairly thick and the time it takes depends on how good your diet is and how long it takes you to get to a low enough bf% so that they can be seen.

There's nothing special about it but just dieting.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

:withstupi
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

I don't do "ab work" and I have a visible six pack. It just means I'm not bulking enough.

If you do enough heavy compound movements you will develop a strong core. Deadlifts and squats are killer.

I like hanging leg raises for their functional value, but they are primarily a hip flexor motion.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I don't have one now but did at one point. The machine I used was this one.

http://store.yahoo.com/homegym/homeabbench.html

your worst nightmare
    I have one now and I haven't done any direct ab work in at least 4 months. It's just a bodyfat issue like Homeyield said. Do one hard ab workout a week consisting of 6 sets, 9 max, and choose your foods wisely. I don't eat a lot of carbs in one sitting and I think this is why I can stay fairly lean during a bulk.
    No, you're not dreaming.

I have 6 packs and it's all about diet ! Anyway ABS are worked a lot with Squat, Dead, Chins, Dips, even Curl !

I very rarely do crunches (maybe one every 2 month)
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

I also agree about the diet and the compound muscle exercises. I kind of have one right now but it is a three pack. My body fat is pretty high and you can barely see it.

When I was at around 8-9 percent you would see them but only if I was squeezing hard or had weights in my hand. In fact I took offense once when my wife saw me lifting some weights and said "wow, you can see your six pack". I was like, what the hell is the big deal I have one and you see it all the time. I guess I thought it was more visible then it actually was. I have a hunch that this time around it may actually show without me making an effort. I mean if I can kind of see it with a 21% body fat, which has to indicate something. I think what has helped me are the deadlifts and squats. Up until that point my stomach felt soft. Now although I have a BIG fat layer, I still can feel my abs under it.

Originally posted by James.uk
    I have one of these at my gym....

http://www.pedan.dk/produkter/profes...ine/bio4z1.jpg

Not sure if they are any good though? Comments?
    its all in the bf% but im sure you know that by now, i just wanted to say the machine looks very sci fi compared to the one in are gym. there all right, but i find myself cheating when useing them, just do crunches and basic stuff like that
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Thanks

I am worried that it is not all about diet for me though, because I can't feel a 6 pack under my flab. Not even when I tense it.
    - James

For me its the wrong time of year for worrying about a 6 pack. I am doing a big bulk this fall and winter. Come mid to late spring Im going to do a serious cut, and if I do this not only will I have that amazing six pack, I wont be one of those skinny guys with a six pack. You know the ones, the guy who weighs in at 140lb, but has a six pack cos they have no fat.
    Save the six pack till the summer, unless you live in a hot hot country whos going to see it?

"Abs are made in the kitchen"

For actually working the abs i find that deadlifts really help build them sufficiently, doing lots of crunches and leg raises are a waste of time imo
    Last edited by Silverback; 09-22-2003 at 01:43 PM.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

I don't do direct ab work anymore, I feel they get worked enough indirectly(compound exercises, skulls work em pretty well), and anyways, I hate workin my abs...
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

If you are getting a six pack to show off to others then you are doing it for the wrong reason.

I am doing it for myself and I want to see them all year long.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    I have a 6 pack, but I have itmainly due to listening to the folks here who told me that it's all about the diet. I work abs, as I work all muscle groups, because i want those muscles to continue to grow, but the key to good abs is diet. Period. End of story.

It's not about what exercises or what machines or what gimmicks you see on infomercials.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

having a flat stomach is nice, but I'd rather have something a little bigger. To that end I tried several movements and along with a good diet and low bodyfat (which I already had) my 6 pack came through in about 3-4 months.
    That was about 6 years ago.

Since then i've always been infatuated with abs. I've continued to believe that exercising them directly is important and when I learned about doing weighted abs (HEAVY!) my abs really began to grow.

After hearing all the people ranting on here about how direct about exercise isn't necessary I decide to limit my ab work from 3 days per week doing 6-8 sets each time to once per week and eventually not as all...the result?

my bodyfat hasn't changed, in fact I feel I've lost a little...however my abs don't look nearly impressive to me. Maybe its a mental thing that they don't feel strong...who knows...All I know is once I'm done with my current HST routine I'm going back to the way I did abs before.

I agree bodyfat/diet is important but its not going to kill you to do a few sets of ab work every week if you really care about how these things look.

PS, genetics play a minor role here also in how ur abs are layed out and where your body stores the bulk of ur bodyfat...regardless, my body tells me to work my abs..so thats my advice