Thread: Cannot use barbells!

Hybrid View

Cannot use barbells!

I have been lifting for almost 7 months and i started off using only dumbbells. Now when i go back to trying to do barbell i can barely lift anything. with three set of flat bench db i can do 80x12, 90x8, 100x5. but on the barbell i have trouble with 205 i can only do 185x8, 205x6. does anyone know what my problem is?

stats for this lil asian guy:
    5ft3
    was 119lb now 142
    12-13% bf
    Last edited by phi67; 09-23-2003 at 12:49 AM.

um, there doesnt seem to be a problem at all. doing dumbells at 100x5 equates to about 200x5 on the flat barbell....and youre doing 205x6. SO wtf is the problem? Besides your math.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Normally, you should be able to push more weight using Barbell. Sorry, I can't really answer your question or offer any suggestion.

However, I just wanna to say that if you can push 100lb dbs at your weight, that is really impressive. I don't see too many guys pushing 100lb dumbbells at my gym. Especially, not somone who only weight 142lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    That is an impressive number for your size.

Banned
    don't worry.. u just need to adjust to using a bar.

within a few weeks, i bet that as you become accustomed to the different "feel" of a bar, your weight will go up to match your dumbbell weights, relative to its barbbell equivalent.

i heard something like your combined dumbbell bench weight is about 70%-75% of your barbbell bench weight.

this hold pretty true for me.. i lift with 100-110's for reps with dumbbells and 260-265 reps for barbell..

Dumbell weight will usually be lower than what you can lift with a barbell greatly due to the fact more stabilizer muscles are involved with dumbell excersies.

Weak forarms can contribute to having trouble with barbells, its a somewhat unnatural position in certain excersies. This should also reflect somewhat in dumbbells too though I would have thought, hmm strange...
    Last edited by Exnor; 09-23-2003 at 04:17 AM.

yeah i was told that you should be able to lift more on barbell but then only 5lbs more?it just makes my shoulders feel uneasy when i do use the bar. oh, and i've been trying for a month already and there are still not much difference.
    Last edited by phi67; 09-23-2003 at 09:21 AM.

Check your posture/form perhaps?

Originally posted by shansen008
    um, there doesnt seem to be a problem at all. doing dumbells at 100x5 equates to about 200x5 on the flat barbell....and youre doing 205x6. SO wtf is the problem? Besides your math.
    Actually, DBs are much harder with the same weight as barbell. I do about 50 pounds more for the same number of reps on barbell as opposed to DB.
    5-9 170

Gonadius Maximus
    I would like to see you kick up a pair or 100lb DB's

5'3" 140lbs kicking them up would be quite a feat

i think it's just matter of time and getting used to the barbell.
    I faced the same thing as well. Then if you do barbell for a while and go back to dumbell u will be the same way. Muscles and body gets used to pattern.

btw, impressive number for ur weight.
    PHOENIX

height - 5' 10 1/2"
    weight - 161bs
    bench - 240lbs (2x)
    curl - 55lbs (dumbell 3x)
    squat - 285 lbs (few times)

goal to improve body along with strength with help of wbb.com

Originally posted by twisteddendrite
    I would like to see you kick up a pair or 100lb DB's

5'3" 140lbs kicking them up would be quite a feat
    It isnt very hard since i spent over 6 months working up from the 60 lb dumbbells. now im happy that ive gotten to the point where i can do 80lbs as warmup easily. i have someone help me up on the first one, and after that it is pretty easy. as of my form i think i have gotten it down pretty well. i just tried again earlier today and still cannot get any better. maybe my body isnt ever going to accept the bar. am i going to miss out on anything good if i never work on the bar?
    Last edited by phi67; 09-23-2003 at 12:25 PM.

where i can do 80lbs as warmup easily
    I'm must be old and weak!!!! A pair of 80lbs db just to warmup..... That's just amazing.

I'm willing to bet your lack of BB strenth is due to 1 of 2 things. I'm guessing you don't come down as far with the DB's as you do with a BB. I see a lot of smaller guys at the gym using heavy DB's for chest exercises but don't come near low enough. If you imagined where the bar would be most people stop short 2-4 inches. If you are actually coming down all the way, then I'd say you need to examine your form when using a BB. There is a bit of technique when it comes to benching. I know there's threads in here that address that.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, I find dumbells add more size to me chest anyway If its something that really bothers you though, look at form, and just start out lower and work your way back up. Barbells are going to be hitting slightly different muscle areas as well, so they need time to adjust to the new stress.
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

I dont get how everyone thinks it is so impossible for a little person to lift a lot of weight. when the people at my gym see me carry the big dumbbells to the bench they look at me as if im crazy also, but when i actually bench it correctly they stop giving me that dumb look. the dumbbells touches the side of my chest at fully lowered position as of now. or should it go even lower? I always at least let it touch a part of my chest that way i know im not just doing partials. i just want to start doing barbell because a friend of mine who is 2 inches taller and 3 lbs lighter only uses barbell and his max is like 165 now. he has been wanting to compete with me but it is impossible since i cannot use the bar. i really want to beat him at the bar since i can already beat him using dumbbells.
    Last edited by phi67; 09-23-2003 at 11:08 PM.

Good point, Tim. I actually lower my DBs to where they are beside my chest, rather than over. If you stop the DBs so that no part of the DB is under the top of your chest, the 'bars' are still about 2-3" off your chest. If that made any sense.

Makes perfect sense. And if you think about most people's sticking point with bench, it's just a few inches above your chest. So if you never come beneath that point with DB's, you're not have to push past the hardest part in the ROM.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

let me just say that's some awesome lifting for your size
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

I've recently started doing close grip bench for my triceps and I think that they are way easier to do then (less stress on shoulder) then regular bench i was able to hit 135x10 twice and 155x6 once. BTW the close grip bench feels almost as good as skull crushers. I wonder why i havent tried it before. As of the regular bench I still stick at 185x8-10 because anymore is hard for me to do. I guess using the bar isnt my thing, so if my barbell bench doesnt improve I'm going to have to stick with the dumbbells.
    Last edited by phi67; 09-25-2003 at 07:32 PM.

SLOW RIDE
    im opposite 260x5 barbell 105x8 dumbell

Originally posted by PHOENIX
    i think it's just matter of time and getting used to the barbell.
    I faced the same thing as well. Then if you do barbell for a while and go back to dumbell u will be the same way. Muscles and body gets used to pattern.
    I agree.
    One summer I took a break from the barbell for my wrist pain. Used only dumbbells for the whole summer. After that, I couldn't do squat on the BB. Now I'm back in the groove.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties