Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Be So Concerned About What You're Lifting

Don't Be So Concerned About What You're Lifting

One thing I've noticed while browsing this forum are that there are a lot of you that complain that you're not lifting the weight you feel you should be, or want to be. It seems the people that should be more concerned with this are powerlifters, not body builders. Why?

What's key when it comes to gaining the mass so many of us strive for? Yes, nutrition probably pops into mind. But think about it in terms of your work out. Finding the right exercises coupled with our bodies ideal number of sets and reps. And when it comes down to it, finding the proper resistance is really a huge key. Does your body know if you're using 60 lb DB's instead of the 80 lb DB's you wish you were using? Nope. All your body know's is that there's a certain amount of resistance being applied. Those numbers on the sides of the plates and DB's are there as a means to measure your progress.

Why do I bring this up? Think about how many people have horrible form in an effort to lift more weight. They sacrifice applying proper resistance in a controlled manner just to look good or be able to tell others they curled 100 lbs or more last night. And even those who are more concerned about building up their body over looking good in the gym still fall snare to the same jerking movements and improper form because they feel they should be lifting more weight. And that's really a step back.

Getting the right resistance is the key.

I thought these few points might serve as a good reminder for those that complain about what they're lifting or feel they should be able to lift more. When it comes down to it, if you're getting the physical results that you're shooting for, then how much you're lifting is just side note to accomplishing your goals of getting big.
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 09-23-2003 at 08:43 PM.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    I have to agree. Theres a big difference between how bodybuilders and powerlifters should train. I know for myself, as a bodybuilder, I'm more concerned with getting the right resistance, and placing the maximum amount of stress on the muscle, rather than just putting up big numbers.

So, if you're interested in bodybuilding in with any sort of sincerity, these are words to live by
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

what a load of crap

im not a powerlifter in terms of being competitive or even having a respectable total, but do i lift like one? yes. why? because if you're not lifting for strength, what's the point? having 300lbs of muscle is pretty useless if you can't lift for **** if you ask me.

if you want to maintain a nice physique, go for it, but thats more a function of diet and having low body fat than anything else. if you lift for the sole purpose of "looking good" and spend more time looking in the mirror during your workout than actually lifting weights, then guess what... your personality is probably just as shallow as your squats. so get the hell out of the rack and stop wasting everybody's time. looks should be a SIDE EFFECT of something that promotes the healthy lifestyle assosciated with lifting, not the main goal IMO.

and since i know almost nobody will agree with me, don't bother arguing. you're not going to change my opinion, and i'm not going to change yours, so just call me an idiot and leave the thread

I haven't hit a 1 rep max PR on deads in over a month.
    5-9 170

Simplistic
    Progression is the best way to track progress.

Originally posted by Neil
    Progression is the best way to track progress.
    yes! and speed is the best way to measure how fast something is going

Simplistic
    Are you being sarcastic, or you just don't get it?
    Last edited by Neil; 09-23-2003 at 10:48 PM.

yes

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    I didnt get to the size I am currently at by NOT worrying about my poundages...so I will keep on lifting for strength and size.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Simplistic
    Concentrate on making small poundage increases in good form and you will see the results in your physique. That better for you, unshift?

Originally posted by unshift

yes! and speed is the best way to measure how fast something is going

aaaaaaaaaaahahahah god this one made my tummy hurt!
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

what a load of crap
    im not a powerlifter in terms of being competitive or even having a respectable total, but do i lift like one? yes. why? because if you're not lifting for strength, what's the point? having 300lbs of muscle is pretty useless if you can't lift for **** if you ask me.
    That's the whole point of bodybuilding. Building your body

Wannabebig Member
    The argument that those concerned with building a healthy physique that is attractive to members of the opposite sex, should not be concerned with how much weight they lift is one that has always puzzled me. As does the often accompanying assertion that only power lifters are concerned with max strength levels.
    I do not fall into the power lifting category. Using dumbbells for my chest, dead lifts infrequently and squats, due to knee injury never. Yet is my primary goal strength and power? YES.
    Why? I am a man, and like most men I want to have the physical strength to protect both myself and those that I care about. Certainly the muscle I have built in conjunction with this has been something that I have welcomed. Hey, I love the looks my chest draws from the ladies. And as for my current girl, she wouldn?t have it any other way. But everything I have is functional hypertrophy, and reflective of the strength I possess.
    When I hear statements such as, you should not be concerned in any way with what weight you lift. I am always at a complete loss as to understanding the mentality of those who speak it. Why bother lifting at all? Why not just have those hard silicone implants inserted, and save the time of working out at all.
    Unlike most any other activities, weight training, offers everyone to one extent or another, the chance for that sense of personal accomplishment, that comes when you come back to an exercise and find you can lift just that little bit more weight or complete a few extra reps. Other activities certainly offer the chance to improve ones somatic capacity. But not to the extent, either in scope, or frequency that training with weights does. You may start running for example, and improve your times, but after the first couple of months, any gains, will be minimal at best for most.
    Tim I agree with your statements regarding the sacrifice of exercise form on the alter of ego. It is something that most of us, at one time or another have been guilty of. I know I certainly have. But to take that further and suggest that the weight that is lifted should come second to the building of a muscular physique. One that would be built upon non functional (sarcoplasmic) hypertrophy is one I cannot agree with.
    I want the strength. Though am not a power lifter.
    I enjoy the muscle. Though I have no intention of stripping down to a pair of speedo?s shaving my hairy torso, covering myself in baby oil, and posing so that other men can mark me on how I look.
    What it comes down to at the end of the day is that given the choice of 19 inch arms with a 45kg 5RM on my dumbbell curls (not there yet, lol), or 20 plus inch arms with much reduced strength levels. I would always go for the strength.
    And when I hear stories such as Charles Poliquin?s who recounts that he has come across at least 3 Mr Olympia contestants, who could not even bench press 315lbs for 6 reps I just shake my head, and then get back to lifting heavy and trying (always) to increase my strength.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    How about you stop caring so much about people's personal goals and just lift the ****ing bar?

:withstupi

my first im with stupid smiley
    Last edited by Exnor; 09-24-2003 at 03:23 AM.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    what a load of crap

Some folks just don't get it.

Lift as heavily as you can while maintaining proper... that is, STRICT form. Eat right. Get the rest you need. If you do these simple things, you will NATURALLY increase your strength level as you go.

When you are trying to build your physique, it's all about the look. It's cosmetic. Certainly, there are a TON of health benefits to doing this, but that's not what it's about. A competitive BB'er I net on Sunday (he took 3rd in Hurricane Bay the night before) said BB is all about showing off your musculature. He referred to it as COMPETITIVE DIETING. He's right.

In BB, it does not matter if you bench 100# or 1,000# as long as you have symmetry, size, definition...

All others should learn more about powerlifting. That has very little to do with the look and everything to do with the amount of weight one lifts. There, it's about totals. Bench, Squat, Deadlift. Take your best lift from each event and add it together... that's your total. Highest number wins.

So remember... BB = Look, PL = Strength
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Nice post Tim, also I agree W8_4_Me.

i'll never understand bodybuilders.

but then again, i have more important things to worry about than getting exactly 2961.5 calories today and really beefing up my outer upper left pec.

I understand about the proper form but at the same time most alot of bodybuilders I know also want to see gains in volume and not just in muscle mass. If you just stay at one weight of dumbbells forever then it doesnt work as effectively as when you move up the volume when you are able to do over 10 reps easily. Most of us want to move up on volume in order to back up the muscle that we do have. I have been stuck at a certain volume in some excercises but at the same time that bodypart has continued to grow. If the volume of weights and size of my muscles both increase then that gives me more of a motivation and a sense of well being after I leave the gym. I want to have that perfect body but at the same time I want to be able to work with the serious weights, and just because a little guy is able to do heavy volume doesnt mean that it always has to be improper form because then he wouldnt have the body to back up the weight.

oh yeah and i forgot to mention

Originally posted by W8_4_Me

Lift as heavily as you can while maintaining proper... that is, STRICT form. Eat right. Get the rest you need. If you do these simple things, you will NATURALLY increase your strength level as you go.
    i agree 100%. however, wearing sleeveless shirts to show off your "guns" and having Inflated Lat Syndrome really has no place in the world. those are the people i'm getting at... the people who do a set, then take 3 hours looking in the mirror, and do another set. what a waste of time

and as for trying to "scuplt" yourself, again, waste of time if you ask me. in a previous thread someone said "don't do deadlifts often, or they'll increase the width of your lower back" ... but what difference does your lower back width make if you're gaining a ridiculous amount of functional strength? these are the things that i don't, and never will, understand
    Last edited by unshift; 09-24-2003 at 07:23 AM.

I think the initial post is horrible, and poorly thought out. If he'd just said, "lift with good form people," then it may have had value, albeit obvious and unecessary advice.

So let's see, I shouldn't worry about the weight I lift? So I should just keep lifting the same weight? Or maybe just add a little bit more every couple months for fun? Sorry, this is a losers mentality, plain and simple. Basically you are promoting people to not push themselves, not strive to be better, not be disappointed with poor performance, and not improve as well as they could.

That's an attitude that could translate over into other areas of your life as well. Then you'll get no where, probably work in a McDonald's all your life, and think you are doing great.

Sorry, I may now be thinking more as a plifter, but I have never simply been satisfied with whatever I lift. I may be happy with a particular weight I lift, AFTER I lift it. But does that mean I should settle for that same standard in the future? No. I should always be trying to raise the bar, to better myself, to stay motivated and keep training for a purpose.

You can keep lifting the same weight day in and day out or slightly more and get relatively no where, but I doubt many others would agree with that philosophy.

Lifting with good form is a given. Many don't, but there could be plenty of reasons for it. There are many forms of training, and at times cheat reps are completely valid. Sometimes you have a bad day, and your strength isn't what it is, and you either fail or resort to bad form. That doesn't mean you shouldn't continue trying to improve your form and weight as much as you can.

Sorry, this isn't wannabemediocre.com.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I think th epoint of the post was that we shouldn't worry about weight relative to other people, just relative to our own progression.

If ElP benches 315x5, and I bench 275x5, I might still have a better physique. And there might be someone who benches 225x5 who has a better physique than both of us.

A month later, if ElP still benches 315x5, but I've progressed to 295x5, I'm improving, and that's what I should be worried about.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Well, he said this:

"One thing I've noticed while browsing this forum are that there are a lot of you that complain that you're not lifting the weight you feel you should be, or want to be. It seems the people that should be more concerned with this are powerlifters, not body builders. Why?"

That really has nothing to do with others. If I feel I should be lifting more, and it motivates me to do so, or if someone else's weight training motivates me then that's fine.

If you start despairing over it, sure that's lame, but it's not a reason to back off on training hard, and constantly setting higher goals for yourself, regardless of whether you plift or bodybuild.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

The Tuna Tempter
    I totally agree with LP, nice post man!
    Life's too short to be small

Because I'm a bodybuilder I don't worry so much about my deadlift (but of course I do a little ) but is deadlifting going to help me do my desk job any better? Is it going to make my drive to and from work any easier? Nope. So you know what that means? It seems like a pretty ridiculous waste to completely try increase a lift that won't carry over into my goals.

If somebody is an athlete training to do a sport then I can see that they might want to incorporate more functional strength lifting into their routine. That's a given. If somebody just wants to improve their physique because they don't really need the strength then that's something else. Through lifting, their general strength will increase. You have to lift progressively heavier weights to get bigger. Just because somebody isn't so concerned about their 1RM or don't plan on competeting against others in a show of ability or strength does not discredit what they are doing.

The guys that go around wearing sleaveless shirt and ILS are just idiots in general. By generalizing us into that you are making a big mistake. I try to "scuplt" myself. Does that make me any less stronger than you? Does that make me anyless worthy of being in the gym? Is that wasting my time? I don't think so.

and since i know almost nobody will agree with me, don't bother arguing. you're not going to change my opinion, and i'm not going to change yours, so just call me an idiot and leave the thread
    I will call you an idiot for trying to do so in the BB. I think its our thread so you get out.

You are doing too much stereotyping. Just because I lift to look good, that doesn't mean I'm doing for anybody else but myself. You don't lift to compete, so why do you do it? What's the point of going?

I just want to say that people should be more concerned with what they are lifting and not what others are lifting. That's the thing. Of course we should be concerned about what we are lifting but not others. We have to worry about it because it promotes growth. Maybe not strength as always like our buddy unshift here, but its what we lift and its what we do.

After 2 years of training I could still barely bench 135 @ 145lbs. Of course I was worried about it but kept going. I've hit reps of 275 now @ 195lbs. Its all about being persistent. Do what you can and continue to improve upon that. Its the same thing unshift here does but are goals are a bit different so our choice of exercises might be a bit different. He lifts to get stronger, the side effect of it is a respectable physique. We lift to get prettier but strength is a side effect of that. Its all about what you want, but that doesn't discredit what either is doing.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.