Thread: Squats and ?

Wannabebig Member

Squats and ?

Hi everyone,

I started doing squats about a year ago and have made O. K. progress in both strength and size, but my size increases seem to be mostly limited to the upper thighs and hips.
    Are there any lifts I can do that would target the lower thighs ( just above the knees). Thanks

hack squat seems to work the teardrop well
    upper chest freak

Deeper squats.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

When you squat "to the floor," after the parallel point. The work that your quads does gets reduced and other muscles come into play. This true?

that's what i think too .
    upper chest freak

Think about how the muscles work during a squat.

How would squatting deeper reduce the work of the quad?

Using your logic, one would be able to squat heavier weight ATF than they would to parallel.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Hey Mclifter, if you didn't yet give front squats a try or just bring in your stance on regular squats.
    Paul I think what MA meant was that when you go below parellel alot of the extra work is done by the hammies and glutes and hips.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Originally posted by getin bigger
    Paul I think what MA meant was that when you go below parellel alot of the extra work is done by the hammies and glutes and hips.
    Exactly, squatting below parellel also puts more stress on the knees as well.

I go as low as I can with light weights and when I'm warming up. But, when I'm going heavy I go to parellel because I've had problems with my knees from squating.

Wannabebig Member
    Deep squatting is the only thing that helps my knee I have horrid knee problems it swells up and can't be bent to much and the only relief is to do ATF squats so all that garbage about I go to parralell because of knee problems is bull.
    live to lift

ATF? what does it stand for?

Wannabebig Member
    @ss To Floor
    live to lift

Re: Squats and ?

Originally posted by MClifter
    Hi everyone,

I started doing squats about a year ago and have made O. K. progress in both strength and size, but my size increases seem to be mostly limited to the upper thighs and hips.
    Are there any lifts I can do that would target the lower thighs ( just above the knees). Thanks

Varying the depth of your squats isn't going to to anything extraordinary to build the area around the kneecap (assuming you were doing parallel squats to begin with). I squat to parallel and have no problem with my lower quads, it is a genetic thing. You can make your whole leg bigger, but you really cannot make only the upper or lower portion grow in a different fashion than you are genetically determined to grow. So, just keep training and your legs will please you as they get bigger as a whole.

Bigger fewl
    chris be right.

Still, try front squats like getin bigger said. Isolates quads more.

ATF is better for your knees then going to parallel.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

Hardcore, what else?
    Front squats don't "isolate" your quads better, they stress the quads better beings the load is place right above them and not behind like on a standard barbell squat.
    When will it be my time to shine? - me

Originally posted by DaChickenShowYo
    ATF is better for your knees then going to parallel.

How do you figure? I really don't see how any of you think it's safer/better for your knees if you go ATF.

Where do you guys read this stuff at? Or what kind of proof of this?

Bigger fewl
    From the good doctor! Dr. Squat that is!

Umm ok degsta, you just repeated me using different words.

Carpe diem

Hardcore, what else?
    Oh no I didn't. There's a world of difference between the words isolate and stress in terms of lifting.

Isolate- working just one muscle.

Stressing- putting more of a load on one muscle than the others; even though other muscles are still working.

Granted these words are to be taken in context when I was referring to squats.

Bigger fewl
    tuttut

I said isolated the quad MORE than back squats, not fully isolated the quads.

Carpe diem

Hardcore, what else?
    Just tellin ya, the difference in a word could make you look like you know what you're talking about or not.

Bad terminology= hehe

3:16
    for the front squats. for me they take stress off the back. I do not know if quad requitment is better/worse or the same. But i do know that your lower back will not give up first. therefore you guarente that your legs(quads/hamstrings) will give up before your back. For normal squats it probably varies if your leg or back give up fisrt.

In my leg routines if i squat first, my lower back the next day is sore. When i squat after doing leg press, ham curls and leg ext then my back is not sore as my lower back is still much more relative stronger than my legs therefore my quads will go fisrt and my back does not recive much stimulation. (though when squating last i use about 70 pounds less for the same amount of reps.). but squating first my lower back is very soar as it recieves so much more stimulation.

for front squats does anyone have trouble balancing a olympic bar? or do you use smith machine?

body, you might want to check your form when squatting? i don't know. it's just that i could squat all day long if my quads let and my lower back would be fine. i don't even feel any "stress" in my lower back when doing squats.

maybe you're bending over too far?

3:16
    muscle- i have not got the most supple ankle. so i do wide stance squat and lean relatively forward to most people so i can get to parrell. the gym i train at has not got a hack squat or a wood board to raise my heel of my foot.
    I am on about DOMS soreness not bad back sorenss. I think other people stress there lower back. Chris mason does not do deadlifts for that reason so i imagine as its because he get ample stimultion form squats. So does he get DOMS in his back? well i do not know.

Bigger fewl
    Many people's legs are much stronger than their lower back.

Carpe diem