The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Never Satisfied.

Next step of my cutting diet... what now?

About 2 months ago I posted my then current diet which was at the end of my bulking phase. I was ready to start cutting and wanted to do it as slow and correct and exact as possible so I can lose as much fat and maintain as muscle/strength as humanly possible. In that post, I gave my diet and asked for help getting rid of 300 calories to begin cutting. So far, I think it's going ok. I've lost about 5 pounds total (From about 187 to now 182), 1 full inch from my waist (actually slightly more), and my arm's are still exactly the same size as they were before I started cutting. Strength is also good, most of my lifts have maintained, and some have even increased. My bench has dropped 5lbs and a few reps, but I think that might be a mental thing. I have been maintaining 182lbs now for a couple of weeks, which is making me think it is now time to decrease calories by another 300 or so.

I'm wondering 2 things now. First, does this all seem right? Does this look like its going good? I should now be getting rid of another 300 cals, correct? Second, if so, where should these next 300 calories come from?

Here is my current diet:

7:00am
    *Meal 1* (Pre-workout)

2 pieces of whole wheat bread
    2 average sized red potatoes
    6 egg whites
    1 scoop of whey protein powder (mixed with water)
    5 grams of l-glutamine

Calories: 600
    Protein: 47
    Carbs: 90
    Fat: 3

***WEIGHTLIFTING WORKOUT*** 8:30am - 9:45am

10:00am
    *Meal 2* (Post-workout)

2 scoops of whey protein powder (mixed with water)
    2 average sized red potatoes
    5 grams of l-glutamine

Calories: 420
    Protein: 40
    Carbs: 58
    Fat: 3

1:00pm
    *Meal 3*

1 can of tuna fish
    1 bagel
    1 serving of olive oil
    3 egg whites

Calories: 590
    Protein: 49
    Carbs: 35
    Fat: 19

3:30pm
    *Meal 4*

4 servings of peanuts

Calories: 640
    Protein: 28
    Carbs: 24
    Fat: 52

6:00pm
    *Meal 5*

1 Pure Protein Bar

Calories: 270
    Protein: 32
    Carbs: 28
    Fat: 6

7:00pm
    *Meal 6*

2 Oranges

Calories: 110
    Protein: 0
    Carbs: 30
    Fat: 0

8:00pm
    *Meal 7*

Grilled chicken or lean meat or turkey, etc. (Big serving)
    1 red potato
    Vegetable (broccoli, string beans, salad, etc.)

Calories: 390
    Protein: 40
    Carbs: 41
    Fat: 2

10:00pm
    *Meal 8*

Tuna fish (almost a full can, maybe a little less)

Calories: 110
    Protein: 23
    Carbs: 0
    Fat: 1.5

11:00pm
    *Meal 9*

1 scoop of whey protein powder (mixed in water)

Calories: 90
    Protein: 17
    Carbs: 2
    Fat: 1.5

Daily Total:

Calories: 3220
    Protein: 275
    Carbs: 308
    Fat: 88

Ratio: 34/38/25
    protein/carbs/fat

*I drink a little over a gallon and a half of water a day.

(Also, if something like a piece of bread has 6 grams of protein, I counted that as part of my protein total. Not sure if everyone does that or not, but I did.)

Where should these next 300 calories come from? Does anything need to be increased and something else get decreased? Whatever you're thinking, just let me know. All help is greatly appreciated.
    22 - 5'11 - not big enough yet

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Next step of my cutting diet... what now?

Originally posted by intensity
    I'm wondering 2 things now. First, does this all seem right? Does this look like its going good? I should now be getting rid of another 300 cals, correct? Second, if so, where should these next 300 calories come from?
    It sounds as though you are making progress, which is good. Although I think you could probably stand to lose a little more weight each week, since you have dropped 5lbs. in ~8 weeks. I would shoot for ~1lb. weight loss each week, but this would also depend on your current bf%. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with cutting slowly, but then again you don't want to be dieting forever.

I would probably just shave some cals off of the higher calorie meals, such as Meal 4 and Meal 1. Just make sure you stick to getting ~1g of protein per lb. of bw and ~25% of your daily cals from fat.

(Also, if something like a piece of bread has 6 grams of protein, I counted that as part of my protein total. Not sure if everyone does that or not, but I did.)
    Yes, you can count that toward your daily protein intake.

Never Satisfied.
    Although I think you could probably stand to lose a little more weight each week, since you have dropped 5lbs. in ~8 weeks. I would shoot for ~1lb. weight loss each week, but this would also depend on your current bf%. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with cutting slowly, but then again you don't want to be dieting forever.
    You are probably right. I've only cut 1 time before this, and screwed it up and lost too much muscle in the process. So I guess I'm being a little too extra cautious about it this time.

I would probably just shave some cals off of the higher calorie meals, such as Meal 4 and Meal 1.
    Here's 2 ideas I had, which do you think sounds better.

1) Take away the 2 potatos from meal one. This would get rid of 240 calories, 6 grams of protein, 54 carbs and 0 fat.

OR

2) Take away 1 potato from meal 1, and 1 serving of nuts from meal 4. This would get rid of 280 calories, 10 grams of protein, 33 carbs, and 13 grams of fat.

These are the 2 first idea's I came up with. If you have anything better, feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot for your help, by the way.

2) Take away 1 potato from meal 1, and 1 serving of nuts from meal 4. This would get rid of 280 calories, 10 grams of protein, 33 carbs, and 13 grams of fat.
    The above sounds fine, because I think having some carbs in your preworkout meal would be beneficial.

Never Satisfied.
    Another thought/question I just had...

When cutting, shouldn't most of the cals that you start to get rid of come from carbs, at least at first? Or does it not matter? I'd figure calories from carbs should be the first thing to start eliminating when cutting, as opposed to protein or fat. But then I was also thinking that carbs probably play a role in maintaining muscle, which is also important when cutting.

What are your thoughts on this, oh wise one?

Thanks again man.

When cutting, shouldn't most of the cals that you start to get rid of come from carbs, at least at first? Or does it not matter? I'd figure calories from carbs should be the first thing to start eliminating when cutting, as opposed to protein or fat. But then I was also thinking that carbs probably play a role in maintaining muscle, which is also important when cutting.
    As long as you are taking in adequate protein and EFAs, then you will be fine. Taking in more than 1g of protein per lb. of bw is not really necessary, as far as what is needed by the body. You do want to make sure and keep fat intake up, but removing a serving of peanuts would be an easy place to cut cals, and removing peanuts will only serve to improve the ratio of n-6 to n-3 fatty acids.

You want to ensure that the body has an adequate supply of protein and EFAs, and where the rest of the calories come from does not really matter (from a weight loss perspective).

Taking in carbs around your training will help improve recovery and help in maintaining LBM, and carbs themselves are protein sparing.

As you continue cutting cals throughout the duration of your cut, you will need to cut more carbs from your diet, so as to prevent dropping protein and fat levels too low.