The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlifts and lower back width

Ok I just started doing deadlifts maybe 6 weeks ago or so and my best deadlift is only 225lbs X 4. Ok now my friend keeps telling me that I should stop doing deadlifts and that he won't do them ever. He says my lower back will get really wide and I won't get that "V-look". Previously I had ignored him, but today I read a post in another thread and someone was saying that deadlifts can make your lower back freakishly huge. So, my question is, is this true, and if so should I worry about it?

Btw I really enjoy deadlifts so I'd hate to drop them, it is definitely one of my favorite exercises. I enjoy them as much as I enjoy squats and bench. The feel you get doing deadlifts is unique from other lifts I think, really great rush.

Edit - Oh and when I told my friend it wasn't true, he said look at the lower back's of powerlifters, they are freakishly huge in comparison to other parts of their bodies. I have never really "looked" at powerlifters lol, I usually look at women hehe. Anyways it got me worried, should I be?
    Last edited by Dedicated; 09-24-2003 at 07:01 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

keep deadlifting

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Your friend is mistaking "gut" for lower back width.
    w00t

Start powerlifting...or do strongman competitions, lol...you'll fit right in!

...yeah, im a loser...I know.

Our friends are all idiots when it comes to deadlifts. I posted here when I did deadlifts with my friend and how he bitched that it would hurt my back.

Originally posted by harryhoudini66
    Our friends are all idiots when it comes to deadlifts. I posted here when I did deadlifts with my friend and how he bitched that it would hurt my back.
    ROFL, yea they are. The guy who told me this is A LOT bigger than me so I tend to take what he says with some credibility. But I think it's genetics for him cause his whole family is huge. I will keep deadlifting, gonna hit it hard tommorow.

LOL... now we're all worried.

I have a skinny waist, so I'd like to add some width to my lower back. If you already have a v-shape structure, then everything should grow in proportion, and you won't lose it. Anything that comes from deadlifts is going to be positive as long as you use pretty good form. I love the way it works the muscles that run up each sides of the spine, because I never knew ways to hit them before.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Deadlifts don't work your back. Some experts on here even say so! (j/k)
    5-9 170

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    My lower back has some SERIOUS width. Its so wide, im lovin it. Going for the triangle taper. Its the new look, ya know? Im gonna stop doing shoulder and back excercise to further bring out the triangle look. And im going to keep deadlifting

(disclamer: the only part of this message you need to read is in bold)
    Last edited by JuniorMint6669; 09-24-2003 at 10:47 PM.

LOL! Nice Mint. Keep doing them Dedicated. I agree the rush is great and your body will reap the benefits from doing them.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

everyone comapains there bad but i like them

Keep deadlifting.

If you're worried about getting a wide lower back, do more pullups and increase your lat spread to compensate.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220