Thread: Strength help ...

Strength help ...

I train exclusively for strength, though not just for strongman or the big 3 or anything...I want to be able to improve not just my bench, but my row, curl, hamstring curls, etc. I, of course, don't have time for an ME lift/DE lift for everything, though, but I try to hit every semi-major muscle at least twice a week. That may mean that for hamstrings I do SLDL and Hamstring Curls and for Biceps I do reverse curls and normal curls..

Anyways, when I am doing this, what should my sets be like? Note that I'm aiming for strength, not necessarily size. Here's what I've been doing as of late, but I don't know if it's the best method:
    I'll take, say, 100 lbs, which I could maybe do for 5 reps one set. I'll do it for 4 reps, then I'll do it for 4 reps another two sets.
    The next week hopefully I'll hit three sets of 6, and after that I'll move up 5 lbs.

Is this the best method or can you guys suggest something that will likely work better? The biggest issue for me is time, as I don't want to lift for an hour and a half 6x a week (as I'll end up overtraining), so I can't really fit in too many sets/exercises.

Thanks.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 10-19-2003 at 06:41 AM.

Banned
    if you want to get strong, lift heavy weights for few reps

your current format of upping weight at 6 reps ain't bad

you might want to add in some max-effort singles/triples for core lifts as well

also get some coaching; it's usually not too hard to get time with a powerlifting coach and improve form/style on your core lifts as well. i did and it was huge for me.

I'm sure this type of set/rep scheme could be applied to most lifts. Give it a try.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Westside
    Try doing sets of triples, doubles and singles... thats been working great for me lately.

Wannabebig Member
    Go to my webpage, its http://www.webspawner.com/users/weig...385/index.html
    it has useful information along with my workout routine in it, if you want to try it. I put my workout is in percents so you can convert them into your weight that you'd be using. When doing a powerlift weight-cyclin you must lift light before you can lift heavy, other wise you will plateau earlier on in the program

Thanks, guys.

I should have added in my first post that I do basically Westside as far as benching is concerned, but I think I'll try to periodize for most of the lifts after I take about a week during November. The only problem I see is ending up getting too low on some exercises like Tricep Extensions or something. When you guys periodize, do you periodize all your lifts? I sort of wanted to stay with Westside as far as ME/DE Bench goes, but other than that I think doing a periodization plan for about 9-10 weeks seems good.