The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Strength help ...

I train exclusively for strength, though not just for strongman or the big 3 or anything...I want to be able to improve not just my bench, but my row, curl, hamstring curls, etc. I, of course, don't have time for an ME lift/DE lift for everything, though, but I try to hit every semi-major muscle at least twice a week. That may mean that for hamstrings I do SLDL and Hamstring Curls and for Biceps I do reverse curls and normal curls..

Anyways, when I am doing this, what should my sets be like? Note that I'm aiming for strength, not necessarily size. Here's what I've been doing as of late, but I don't know if it's the best method:
    I'll take, say, 100 lbs, which I could maybe do for 5 reps one set. I'll do it for 4 reps, then I'll do it for 4 reps another two sets.
    The next week hopefully I'll hit three sets of 6, and after that I'll move up 5 lbs.

Is this the best method or can you guys suggest something that will likely work better? The biggest issue for me is time, as I don't want to lift for an hour and a half 6x a week (as I'll end up overtraining), so I can't really fit in too many sets/exercises.

Thanks.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 10-19-2003 at 06:41 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    if you want to get strong, lift heavy weights for few reps

your current format of upping weight at 6 reps ain't bad

you might want to add in some max-effort singles/triples for core lifts as well

also get some coaching; it's usually not too hard to get time with a powerlifting coach and improve form/style on your core lifts as well. i did and it was huge for me.

I'm sure this type of set/rep scheme could be applied to most lifts. Give it a try.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Westside
    Try doing sets of triples, doubles and singles... thats been working great for me lately.

Wannabebig Member
    Go to my webpage, its http://www.webspawner.com/users/weig...385/index.html
    it has useful information along with my workout routine in it, if you want to try it. I put my workout is in percents so you can convert them into your weight that you'd be using. When doing a powerlift weight-cyclin you must lift light before you can lift heavy, other wise you will plateau earlier on in the program

Thanks, guys.

I should have added in my first post that I do basically Westside as far as benching is concerned, but I think I'll try to periodize for most of the lifts after I take about a week during November. The only problem I see is ending up getting too low on some exercises like Tricep Extensions or something. When you guys periodize, do you periodize all your lifts? I sort of wanted to stay with Westside as far as ME/DE Bench goes, but other than that I think doing a periodization plan for about 9-10 weeks seems good.