The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Being Tall And Doing Dead Lifts

Does being tall make it harder to deadlift? Are we at a disadvantage?

I'm 6'3" and have been doing them for about 14 weeks. I'm up to 295 lbs. for my max and I do 225 for 4 sets of 6.

Just curious.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Are you doing conventional deadlifts or sumo deadlifts? I'm tall and I found sumos to be WAY better suited for my build.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

i find sumos alot easyer then conventional deadlifts much like icergrrl, im 6'6"
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

I wouldn't say a disadvantage. I'm 6'1 and I think you just have to be more concious of using good form and watching your lower back.
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

Isn't it more of the length of your arms in comparison to the legs? I mean, someone with really long legs and short arms will be at a disadvantage due to a larger ROM as compared to someone with short legs and long arms.
    5-9 170

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    It really has alot to do with your individual build. One person who is 6 ft tall may have way different proportions than another 6 ft person.

Most of the time the shorter lifter will be better suited to do sumos and taller better at conventional. That being said, one of my lifters is 6'2" and pulls conventional in meets, while another is 5'6" and pulls conv.

But just to let you know my "little" cousin is 6'2" and pulls conventional. He has hit 440@224 at 16 years old with just a belt. Form has a lot to do with it too.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by LATMAN
    It really has alot to do with your individual build. One person who is 6 ft tall may have way different proportions than another 6 ft person.
    Exactly. It more has to do with arm length, versus leg length.

Some tall guys are all upper body, some have longer legs instead. If you are tall but have long arms and shorter legs, then you will probably rule the deadlift, since you will have so much less ROM to go through with your arms reaching so low.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I do conventional. I'm more curious than anything. I'm pretty happy with where my deadlifts are right now. But being 6'3" gets you wondering.

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I tried sumo deadlifts for the first time last night. Granted I had done some goodmornings and reverse hypers first, but I've done better doing them conventional. I'm 6'3" with a 36" sleeve and 34" inseam.

My knees are pretty sore on the inner surfaces today. It's the joints themselves, not muscles or tendons. Also it's not a flexibility issue- I had my feet out almost to the inside collars but I could have spread them even further without any problem.

Has anybody else here gotten inner knee soreness from sumos? If I had pointed my feet out further to the sides would that have prevented the soreness?

It's seems like sumo's would take nearly all of the stress off your lower body and distribute it to your low and mid back. Is that correct?

Wannabebig Member
    What kind of reps are you doing low reps? or higher reps? and you said that its your inner knees? like your actual joint? I know that when doing low reps it puts stress on the ligamenst and tendons, but thats a good thing, cause they get stronger. I'm not exactly what to say, but I know that water plays a role in lubricating the joints, and cartilidge, maybe you should drink more water?

Drinking water isn't going to help. lol. It'd only make a difference in the joints if he was severely dehydrated, in which case he'd have bigger worries.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig Member
    I was only trying to help..... sorry for trying to help someone. .....
    another thing you could do is use knee wraps, that would help big time.