The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Westside

Board presses with no wood

Ok on my bench press i have spotter than u can put wherever u want on the left side of the bench and right side that are pretty long. Would it be ok if i rose the spotters up and down and used them as board presses. Because today i rose it up around 3 inches and considered it as a 2 board press. I dont know if just having the boards on ur chest or having the bar land on it all the way across is the same thing or not. Can anyone tell me if this is alright if u understand what im talking about.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Westside
    ?????

Yeah, you can use safety bars or spotters to limit how low the BB go. They're called rack presses or pin presses when you do them that way. I've never done board presses before, but I've heard that they "feel" different than pin/rack presses. I would guess that those who have done real board presses like them better than the other kind.

Yeah, I don't know why but board presses are a lot different than pin presses. I think it might be similar to pressing from the pins all the way down vs normal bench.

Westside
    do you think pin presses and board presses still have the same effects?? as if u raise the pins it will work other muscles. I think the pins will prlly isolate the exercise some more..

No, that won't work the same. . .

Pin presses and board presses are 2 different things. If you are doing pin presses, do not press more than the last 3 or 4 inches off the press. any farther than that and you are asking for elbow problems.

Re: board presses, Jeez - O - Man, how come you guys are not doing these? Get some two by fours, or two by sixes and either nail, screw, glue, or tape them together and get to board pressing. Board presses are very important to building a big bench and strong triceps, plus they have the added benefit of protecting your pecs so you don't tear them.

Do board presses to either a one, two, three, four or 5 board, these are just two by's sandwiched together, nothing fancy or difficult about it.

Switch the boards you are pressing to often, and you will find you can max to a different board every week and get stronger every single time you go into the gym without ever burning out. Try the following:

Max out on the bench. Write that number down. Next week, max again. Hopefully you beat the old number by at least 5 lbs. Write that number down.

Week 3, max out to a 2 board, write that number down. Week 4 max out to the 2 board again. Week 4's number should be at least 5 to 10 lbs bigger than week 3's number.

Week 5, max out to a 3 board, write it down, then max again the next week, again trying to beat the previous week's number by at least 5 to 10 lbs.

Week 7, max out to a 5 board, write down this number, do the same routine the next week, trying to beat week 7's number by 5 to 10 lbs.

THEN . . . .

Max out again on the flat bench, and come back here and report what you have found. My guess is almost everyone on this board will find that when they max out after this 8 week cycle, they will find that they have increased their bench max by anywhere from 10-30 lbs.

How to work up? You ask, here it is. Warm up with 2 or 3 sets of 5 to 10 reps with a light weight, then begin doing triples with ever increasing weight till it gets difficult to complete the triples. Then drop to singles, and keep increasing the weight till you cannot go any heavier, and the last weight you could successfully lift was your max.

I challenge you to do the above and see if your bench press does not come up significantly.

B.

Westside
    thanx benchmonster also each board is about 1.5 inches wide right.. also how long should the board be???

Any tips on how to keep the bastards on your chest w/o somebody standing right there holding them?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Westside
    thats what i need to know to. I dont have anyone to hold them for me...

How is it you can't get someone to hold the boards for you?

Hell, even a girl can hold a board on you.

But, if you absolutely cannot find a training partner, girl, kid, or whatever (??????) then you can wear 2 shirts, and put the boards between the shirts. I have done this on occasion when I cannot find 2 people to help.

B.

Westside
    good idea thanx

Oh, and the boards are 1.5 inches thick, and either 3.5 or 5.5 inches wide, depending upon what you chose to use, and the recommended length is 18 inches. I have a set that is 12 inches long, but if you do that, you either need to attach handles, or have a careful board handler so they don't get their fingers pinched.

B.

Westside
    what about the lengh how long and wide should each board be 1.5 inches per board right..

You can also use a band around you and either the bench or the safties in a power rack to hold the boards on you.

I train alone, and have no trouble keeping the boards on my chest.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    I like your method BenchMonster, I think I"m going to have to try it. It seems like it has a good concept to it, and thats why it will work. I've always thought that it would be the other way around. I've never actually tried this board workout that I'm about to explain, because there are so many other workouts that I've come up with that I come up with a new one everyday. But this is how it goes. You take 90% of your max, and you take 5 glued together or nailed together 2x4's and you have someone hold them on your chest while benching.
    1stweek: 100% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 5 boards stacked on your chest
    2ndweek: 95% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 4 boards
    3rdweek: 97% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 4 boards
    4thweek: 99% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 4 boards
    5thweek: 100% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 4 boards
    6thweek: 95% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 3 boards
    7thweek: 97% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 3 boards
    8thweek: 99% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 3 boards
    9thweek: 100% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 3 boards
    10thweek: 95% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 2 boards
    11thweek: 97% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 2 boards
    12thweek: 99% of your max and do 2 set sof a double with 2 boards
    13thweek: 100% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 2 boards
    14thweek: 95% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 1 board
    15thweek: 97% of your max and do 2 sets of a a double with 1 board
    16thweek: 99% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 1 board
    17thweek: 100% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with 1 board
    18thweek: 95% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with no boards
    19thweek: 97% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with no baords
    20thweek: 99% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with no boards
    21stweek: 100% of your max and do 2 sets of a double with no board
    this is just an example, you could shorten it or make it even longer if you'd like. But me personally I'd rather do it when its only 8 weeks long and than do it again after I finish it.

Dude, you are making things more complicated than they need to be. Forget about the percentages. Either do the board workout as listed, or modify it, but don't go in with a set number in mind. If you bench 500 for example and decide Tuesday I am going to bench 95% to a 2 board, then you load up 475 and double it.

OK, sounds very impressive, right? But what if you felt really great that day, and could have in fact done 535 before you missed? Then you just left 60 lbs on the bar you could have done.

Or what if you feel like crap, and can only single 475? Then you get all upset cause you are not doing as much as you expected.

Isn't it much better to max every week on an exercise you change every week to every other week, and constantly be hitting PR's?

If you don't like the program listed above, then switch it up. the 8 week program I listed could very easily be made into a 16 week program by doing boards every other week, and on the odd weeks, max out on either the incline press, decline press, or floor press.

Now you have a 16 week program, where you can and should expect to hit a PR every single week. There is no excuse for not PRing every week with what I have set out. You are doing an exercise for the first time ever on week one, so that is automatically a PR, then on week 2, you will have the neurotransmitters set up to do the exercise more efficiently than week one, just cause you are used to it, so there is almost another automatic PR.

Then before the overtraining bug sets in (going over 90% on a given exercise over 3 weeks in a row leads to a detraining effect) you have switched exercises to something new and different, and hit 2 more PR's.

Some days you will feel better than others and some days worse, but because you are doing different exercises, you will not get stale, and you will, I promise, continue to hit PR's.

Good luck and keep reading, asking questions and learning.

B.

Wannabebig Member
    I just want to learn more and more. I'm sorry if I caused some confusion. I used to max everyweek and add 5lbs to it every week. I'm an inexperienced powerlifter to you and the only way I can learn more is by doing, or talking to people like you who have done the trial and error already.
    So what your saying is that I should just lift according to the way I feel and max every week? I thought about doing that again, but I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.

Deadlift, don't misinterpret what he's saying. You should max out on something similar to bench every week, but not necessarily bench press. After over 3 weeks (maybe about 2 weeks for someone putting up over 400 lbs) of maxing out on Flat Barbell Bench you will probably not make any more gains, and your CNS will get beat up pretty bad. And so, you target your weak areas.

Example:
    Week 1: Max Flat Bench
    Week 2: "
    Week 3: Max 2 Board Press
    Week 4: Max 3 Board Press
    Week 5: "
    Week 6: Max 5 Board Press
    Week 7: "
    Week 8: Max Flat Bench

There's other things you can do besides board presses, though. You can use Bands or Chains, Narrow Grip Bench, or perhaps occassionally a Wide Grip Bench or something.

If I'm wrong just call me an idiot, but I'm pretty sure this is what BM was suggesting.

Be sure to check out the Westside training methods at http://www.elitefts.com

Read through all that stuff and you should get a good idea of how Westside works. It seems to be a style preferred by a lot of the big lifters here.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks, I'll visit elitefts.com. I think I'm picking up on this militia style lifting. It seems like my kind of training.

Westside
    just went to home depo today and bought 5 boards cant wait to get started

Wannabebig Member
    I did too, I got mine at home depot. 2.02 cents for 6 2x6 boards each like a foot and 3-4 inches long and stuff.... I'm pretty physched about doing this. I bought duck tape though to tape them together and stuff, and that ended costing 6.97, lol. Oh well. I can't wait.... we need to keep our board press workouts up to date and post more about it, and stuff.

Bizatch, you are right on. What you said is exactly what I was trying to get across.

B.