The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

How to improve the big three.

What are some workouts (assistance or isolation...whatever will help the most) that will help raise my bench, DL, and squat. I know that doing them will, and I have been doing them, but I want to know some other things that will help with them, maybe something with DBs...

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Squat and dead - work your posterior chain, hams, glutes, low back. SLDL, goodmornings, pull thrus, deadlift variations, cleans, etc.

Bench - you need to figure out where you are weak, and work it. If your weak point is the top half of the lift, then work triceps. If you get stapled, work your chest, lats, and speed.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

thanks.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    If your weak point is the top half of the lift, then work triceps. If you get stapled, work your chest, lats, and speed.
    Interesting didn't know that. I get stapled a lot, the bottom half of my lift is harder, like maybe 3 inches off the chest is where I get stuck usually. My back just happens to be very weak compared to the rest of my body. Something to work on I guess good info thanks

im with you dedicated, thats the part I have the most trouble with. I have been doing more tricept work, and the top half of the lift seems to be easier, but after the bar touches my chest, I have trouble about half way through.

Paul, I'm basically doing westside for all the push muscles...
    My weak point is 3-4 inches off my chest or so, though I can push probably 20 lbs more than my max from my chest to that point. I figured that Floor Presses, low board presses and low pin presses would help my sticky point a little when paired with some speed, but could I do 3 weeks of one and then switch to another without hurting myself, or should I mix it with more chest-specific/first 3 inch stuff (ie pressing from the pins with the bar starting on my chest and wide grip bench)?

Also, with my bench not being anywhere near 500 lbs, would I be OK to mix in an occassional normal bench for 2-3 weeks during my ME days?

Thanks.

3 weeks is as long as i would go with ME work.

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing a full range bench on ME days every now and again - if for nothing else to see where you are.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

If you're fairly new to lifting and/or the competitive bench form, I'd actually make it a point to do so.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    are you a equipped lifter or unequipped?

for equipped lifters, stuck off the chest is pretty much always going to be speed. even for unequipped lifters this is the case a lot of the time. i haven't seen many people where their weak point isn't their triceps.

also, if you're equipped, low pin presses are relatively useless. i have no idea if they're good for raw lifters or not, sorry

Right now I'm trying to get my raw bench up. Thanks for the help, though.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 09-29-2003 at 01:15 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    To add poundage to your squats try speed and jump squats they work great.
    For speed squats start with about 40-50%.
    For jump squats many lifters tend to jump to 20-30% to quikly.30% is really for advanced ppl. Start of really light say 5-15% and work your way up
    Main goal is to increase vertical leap.

Any one know of a good site that explains improving on these types of lifts in detail?
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

I maxed out at 180lbs on the bench yesterday, I still need to get 20 more pounds by Jan1, lol.

Originally posted by SquareHead
    Any one know of a good site that explains improving on these types of lifts in detail?
    *bump*
    Old Journal

-PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

KICK butt!!! Thanks Delphi!
    Old Journal

-PwrMajt:

Wannabebig Member
    Great link!Thanks!
    Check out this too.. www.t-mag.com
    it has 1000+ articles for those who nv heard of it... use the search bar...it has practically everything.
    And this too : www.drsquat.com
    see articless..
    Main goal is to increase vertical leap.

Westside
    nice links man