The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

why doing so many differents exercises ?

I feel that we could progress much more faster if we did only the minimum number of exercises required for optimal growth. It would be easier to progress on squat if we did only squat and not 4 or 5 exercises for legs.

I would like your opinion about the minimum number of exercises required for maximum developpment. Physiology experts are welcome Powerman DL or others ?

In my opinion to hit the major muscle of the body we only need :

Back : Chins and Deadlift
    Chest : Dips and Standing press
    Shoulders : Standing Press
    Arms : Barbell Curl
    Legs : Squat

a total of 6 exercises ! for maximum size it might be an idea to do some isolation exercises but not all at the same time : Pullover, lateral raises, leg extension, leg curl, calves press, wrist curl, shrugs. I believe adding these exercises can make a little difference.

What I believe is that :

We dont need flat press or incline press or decline press if we already do Dips and Standing Press which hit respectively lower and upper chest. I may be wrong I would know the physiological reasons to add another press movement.

Also I think barbell row is not useful if you do Chins and Deadlift or you could replace Chins by Row, which is not to your advantage in my opinion because chins allow greater ROM.

I think triceps are already heavily worked (the 3 heads) with dips and that isolation is not required. Plus skull crusher and triceps extension are hard on elbows.

__

Because I am afraid to not do enough exercises for maximum developpment I do too many exercises like many people and I feel it hurts my progression...
    Last edited by Gavan; 09-26-2003 at 12:49 PM.
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    And the odissey continues......
    Last edited by restless; 09-26-2003 at 01:17 PM.

Restless I know I already asked this questions month or a year ago but I would like new and fresh opinions

Don't you think that doing too many exercices is not a good idea ?

I'm not knowledageable enough to know the minimum number of exercice required so I would like to know what think some people like Chris, Powerman and others.

Do you think Bryan Haycock has the answer to this question ? When I read that Bryan advocate wide pronated grip for chins/pulldown I doubted about his physiology knowledge and his ideas about the minimum number of the exercises required to hit all the major muscles of the body.

For example I found interessant when Vince Basile told us that he believe that only pulldown and squat are requried for major developpment and that adding others exercices may not help that much ! (quiet the contrary in fact) He believes that Pulldown will hit shoulders and chest enough !
    Last edited by Gavan; 09-26-2003 at 01:27 PM.

As Arthur Jones once said :

"Best results will always be produced by the minimum amount of exercise that imposes the maximum amount of growth stimulation." And any other exercise that is added to the training routine will actually retard progress -- in many cases reducing it by as much as ninety percent (90%), and if carried to extremes, additional exercise will result in losses in both strength and muscular size."

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Gavan

Don't you think that doing too many exercices is not a good idea ?

Yes I do, my routine has only eight exercises per session.
    Last edited by restless; 09-26-2003 at 02:12 PM.

Which and why ?

I never saw the original post, but if you posted this same question a year or do ago, did you not try it to see? What have you done for a routine in the past year, have you grown from it? If you think it'll work there's only one way to find out. Give it a shot and let us know your results.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx