The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Any sprinters?

Any sprinters?

After getting a reply to my last thread I'm considering running on my off days...

I was wondering how effective sprinting would be for short periods of time. Effective in terms of burning fat that is.

i.e. Sprint, walk, sprint, walk, sprint around my neighborhood and back. The walking would be to cool off for a few minutes of course.

Besides the legs, does the stomach get a significant workout from sprinting?

The reason I'm considering this is because I need some cardio to do away from my weightlifting routine.

Any input would be very helpful

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

check out the HIIT thread in the "best of bodybuilding/fitness" sticky

I was a sprinter in college, so basically I did HIIT workouts 5 days a week 8 months a year for about 9 years... I'd say its total BS and just a gimmick that people have jumped on.

I think sprinting is good, but not for losing weight.
    If I wanted to lose weight you better believe I sure as Shlt wouldn't be doing sprinting workouts...I'd be doing 30-60 minute jogs at ideal heart rates, and on occassion mile repeats...

All sprinting is gonna do is jack the heck outta your heart rate (which I'll admit has its own benefits)
    yes the stomach gets a good workout from sprinting...but your not gonna build abs by sprinting, dont kid urself there

I was under the impression that cardio is aerobic exericse
    sprinting would be classified as anaerobic thus not a cardio exercise? not sure about that one though

bulking
    HIIT ownz.

It's better then low intensity cardio for fatburning. (<- fact)

Originally posted by jinxx

It's better then low intensity cardio for fatburning. (<- fact)
    how is that a fact? do you have anything to back it up?

I have the experience of myself and from watching fellow sprinters over a 9 year period. I'll admit its my opinion. I've read reports on WHY its supposed to be good, but haven't read anything that I would deem a fact or convincing.

HIIT isnt JUST sprinting though.....it can invovlve sprinting. If youre under the impression that people are saying that running sprints is better than mild cardio...then yeah youre right it probably isn't. HIIT though is different, it involves sprints but there is no significant downtime between them, this is an important aspect IMO. Not only that, but we are talking 20 second sprints here...most sprinters dont even sprint that long, training or not.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Originally posted by shansen008
    HIIT isnt JUST sprinting though.....it can invovlve sprinting. If youre under the impression that people are saying that running sprints is better than mild cardio...then yeah youre right it probably isn't. HIIT though is different, it involves sprints but there is no significant downtime between them, this is an important aspect IMO.
    I am aware of this...there is no significant downtime if your training to be a sprinter either... its not like they give you a 2 minute break between 2 or 400 meter repeats....

Originally posted by shansen008
    Not only that, but we are talking 20 second sprints here...most sprinters dont even sprint that long, training or not.
    ur way off on this one...sprinting isn't just 50/100 meter dashes and those aren't used much in training...most training for sprinters is done between 200-400 meters so figure, depending on number of reps, anywhere between 23 and 60 seconds per training rep, sub 20 second reps are fine tuning and not done much
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 09-24-2003 at 02:50 PM.

so i take it your a fat ass geoff garcia? no????? ok then, theres your evidence.

i like sprinting for cardio, try sprinting 100 meters, then jog or walk the bend, then sprint the next 100 then repeat around the track.
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

bulking
    Originally posted by geoffgarcia

how is that a fact? do you have anything to back it up?

I have the experience of myself and from watching fellow sprinters over a 9 year period. I'll admit its my opinion. I've read reports on WHY its supposed to be good, but haven't read anything that I would deem a fact or convincing.
    I just read it yesterday in Lyle's first book. He presented it with lotsa facts. I gotta go to work right now but I can quote some of it later on today when I get back if you would like to.

Originally posted by TylerDurden
    so i take it your a fat ass geoff garcia? no????? ok then, theres your evidence.
    ur kidding right?
    sprinting doesn't make you lose fat
    being fat prevents you from sprinting

jinxx I'd love to hear what he has to say. I hope its not just another opinion piece though, I've read plenty of them...

Go read the HIIT threads posted here:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=34313

There are studies that show sprinting is actually a better form of cardio than LSD (long slow distance). Ask aka23. He's got ton's of info and studies on it if you can't find it in those threads.

Not to say that LSD doesn't have its purposes but in recent light, HIIT has shown to be a better option.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Originally posted by HomeYield
    Go read the HIIT threads posted here:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=34313
    dude thats a link to more links that link to more links and so on...
    its all just people on this boards opinion....

GONNA GET BIG
    :withstupi