Thread: Do I have a Fat-Pack or Six-Pack?

Hybrid View

Do I have a Fat-Pack or Six-Pack?

I see a lot of posts indicating that you need a low body fat typically of 10% percent to see your abs. Now I am confused because I believe that my body fat is between 19%-21% percent and I can see the two top pack and just barely the two middle ones. I am not sure if my abs are well developed and that is why they are visible or I am just a freak whose cellulite is conveniently shaped like a six pack.

I have seen some people who look heavy and have a six pack, so I am guessing it is possible to have a slightly visible one with a high body fat percentage. I remember one time I saw Harvey Kitel in Bad Lieutenant and he had a six pack even though he was pretty thick. I think during the time frame he did a couple of movie were he showed his pecker, The Piano being among them. Anyway, that is a whole other story.

So can some people have a visible six-pack even with a high percent body fat? I am not going to post a pic or anything because I am very self conscious although I know that would help determine if it is just fat. My wife told me without me asking her that she could see my six-pack, but my wife doesnít know what she is talking about. I don't do direct abs work, but keep my stomach tight during all my exercises. I do Squats, Deadlifts, Dips, Bench Press.

Also, I am getting my body fat percentage from a scale so that maybe off, but I donít think the error margin is that great. I wonít get it tested by the pros because once again I ma very self-conscious.
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; 09-26-2003 at 01:27 PM.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    If you can "see" your abs I woudn't think you would be up in the ~20% bf rage. The pic in your avitar doesn't indicate that you have such a high bf either. 20% is quite high IMO. Most people under estimate bf but many people over estimate it too since the BF scale is not a linear relationship.
    w00t

You just made my day with that comment. I have lost about 45-50 pounds and you saying my body fat doesn't look that high has inspired me more. I am still in doubt though.

My bf is about 14% and I can see a sixer, although it's not as great as I'd like it to be.

You're probably not as high as 20%. Get yourself a bf caliper and check it that way. Those scales tend to be grossly inaccurate.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Glad to be of service Some pictures of your front would help to more accuratly judge where you are at in terms of BF. But when I think of 20% bf i think really fat. on a 200lb man that's 40lbs of extra luggage on him. Seeing how fat is not very dense 40lbs would be quite the volume.
    w00t

Well, I do weight 196 now so I am not that far off from 200. In fact, I was 200 about five days ago after carb loading. I am also 5'7 by the way.

I know that front pictures will answer this once and for all, but I am still seeing a 250 person in the mirror and taking pics of my stomach and mantits makes me feel like crap. I don't think I can handle viewing them as I upload them. Maybe when I drop another 15 pounds or so and finish using my Ab-Solve I will post the front ones. Until then, thanks again for your comments.

Hey harry I'm in the same boat as you dude. I can see my top abs if I flex, but that's it. Still need to lose more bf, let us know how that ab-solve works.

Banned
    it could jsut be genetics... maybe you carry a lot of fat in your butt/legs and less in your middle... like a woman!

from your avatar you look closer to 15% than 20%

Hhehe I wish I had more fat in my butt; I donít have one at all. I do have big legs though and calves; I am not sure how much of that is made up of fat. Also, donít put too much stalk in the avatar, remember that black and white and shadows make things look better then they are. Still I will take your comments with joy.

so wheres the pic?

I did not say I was going to post a pic.