The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Bulk & Cut ??

Bulk & Cut ??

I have been working out for 3 or 4 months now, and gained some mass from working out, do you think it would be better for me to go ahead and cut, then bulk, or get some protien powder and bulk some more?

Im at about 14 -16% bf.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

its really up to you, what your goals are and such. i personally clean bulk until i hit about 17-18% then cut until i can see my abs again. have you ever cut before, prepare to be in hell!!
    good luck
    Last edited by Jasonl; 09-28-2003 at 11:23 AM.

No, I have never really been in to bodybuilding. I like PowerLifting and strongman, but im not strong enough to compete in those, so I figure I might try to look alright while in high school.

SO you think I should do protein for a few weeks, then cut? I might pick up some protein tonight.

Also, do you notice better results with protein powders when you workout in the morning?

sorry JNowiski, protein powder isn't magic

you'll see better results when you take in enough protein to build new tissue(muscle to be exact) - with a variety of high protein foods and with supplements if you want. 1 g/lb bodyweight is all you really need.

take it post workout with dextrose and/or maltodextrin in water

you should ALWAYS keep protein intake high, cutting or bulking, it wouldn't matter

once again, protein isn't magic
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

I know im not going to gain 20lbs of lean muscle in a week or two, but my protein intake is pretty low right now, so it wouldn't hurt at all.

I like to think of protein like house bricks!

Let me explain, you cant build a house with out enough bricks, so no matter how fast you can lay bricks, if you dont have enough your not going to be able to build that house.

But if you have a big pile of bricks there is only a limit to how fast you can build that house, so you end up with a house and a big pile of bricks, thats a waste of money.

What you want to do with protein is eat enough so your body can grow the new tissue, ie the house, but not take so much your body doesnt need it and put stress on your kidneys and liver.

I get what your saying trent. I need to make sure im aware of how much I take and such. Thanks.

Your BF is right in the middle of bulking and cutting, so could you show a picture? If you are small (not much muscle), you should bulk IMO

I don't have a scanner or anything like that.

I'm 5'6, about 155. I think I will try and bulk.

@ 155, bulking would probably be good unless you are very body conscious (as in, you would have issues with looking fatter).

Also, as long as you eat a clean diet, you shouldn't gain too much fat.

No, as long as the end results are good, Im not worried about looking fat.

How lond does it usually take to get bigger? I mean, how long does it usually take you guys, and what kind of routine do you do?

Originally posted by JNowiski
    No, I have never really been in to bodybuilding. I like PowerLifting and strongman, but im not strong enough to compete in those, so I figure I might try to look alright while in high school.
    Well yeah, you have only been working out for 3 or 4 months. Give it time, and your strength will improve.

Re: Bulk & Cut ??

I have been working out for 3 or 4 months now, and gained some mass from working out, do you think it would be better for me to go ahead and cut, then bulk, or get some protien powder and bulk some more?

Im at about 14 -16% bf.
    If you have only been working out for 3-4 months then I would continue trying to increase LBM. I would try eating close to your maintenance calorie level and see what type of results you get, as it is not uncommon for beginners to be able to gain LBM and lose bf at the same time.

Although bodyfat setpoint would also be a determining factor as to whether you should continue bulking or start cutting.

bulking
    I usually bulk till I'm at about 13-15% and then start cuttin again till I'm back at like 8-9%. But it really depends on what your goals are like.

Im going to bulk for a little, then cut. I got a small can of protein powder, and when I finish it, im going to cut.

Im going to bulk for a little, then cut. I got a small can of protein powder, and when I finish it, im going to cut.
    Protein is essential to the body, so taking in adequate amounts each day will be beneficial. Although protein powder is not a necessity, it is a good protein source, especially for pre/post workout nutrition.

I just used it for the first time today, hopefully in the end I will be a little bigger.