Thread: The AA Meeting Intro

Wannabebig Member
    Hi, my name is Shaun, and I have a problem.

*grin*

Well, I'm fairly new to this forum, I used to lurk over at the MM Forums but recently, by direction of a friend, discovered this site. So, I thought I would post my problem/question to see if I can get some constructive feedback.

Well, I'm 21, and weigh about 165-170lbs, I've been going to the gym for 1 year, 7 months (and loving it). But my problem is I'm not gaining weight. I know everyone reading this is simply thinking 'eat more, stupid', but I do eat... I eat all the time. But, for reasons, I don't eat red meat, and I don't seem to be eating enough, or I would obviously be gaining more weight. I train 6 days a week, 3 cardio and 3 days of weights. After almost 2 years of the gym I have good definination, and good strenght, but crappy size.

My question is, what's a good way to get more calories into my diet, I eat quite healthy as is, watching my carb/fat/protien ratios. So do I start eating deep-fried everything to add the extra calories ? or is there some particular food that I should be eating more of? Is there a mirical food that I haven't heard of that has the perfect ratios and won't kill me if I eat plenty of it? I'm solicting any type of advice... thanks.

-Shaun Simpson
    ---------------------------
    Insanity, it's a way of life.

Glad to see you aboard!!

Do you have a diet plan that you follow each day, or do you just eat when you feel hungry?

If you have a plan, post it ... foods, amounts, calories, etc. We can help you find how many calories you need to stay the same weight (which is what you are currently eating, by the sounds of it), and with this info, you can slightly increase it - resulting in weight gain.

But posting your current diet would be a good place to start.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    Hey, Well, at the current time, I don't have a set meal plan. I eat 3-4 meals throughout the day, with a few small snacks.

My breakfast is usually quite consistant, and is as follows:

4 Hard boiled eggs, 2 with yolk, 2 without
    2 Pieces of homemade toast, 7 (or 12) grain bread
    2-4 tpbs of lite peanut butter
    2 GNC multi's
    Large glass of milk, and usually a banana

I wait about an hour then usually go to the gym. Immeditatly after my workout I have a weightgainer/protein shake from the gym drinkbar.

About 45min after that I have a large serving of pasta with a tomato based sauce and a source of protien, such as a can of tuna or some grilled chicken breast.

About 3 hours after that I'll have a large supper, A 2-3 portion size of either grilled chicken or a pork product, potatoes, fresh veggies, and a few bread rolls, and a low-fat desert.

That takes me to about 5:30ish, after that I usually have a snack around 8:30-9:00, usually a banana or apple with a low-fat homemade muffin or some toast with peanut butter.

I drink plenty of water throughout the day, as well as eat plenty of snacks as I pass through the kitchen, a muffin, some veggie sticks, fruit, mixed nuts, etc...

I've never counted my daily calories, but I keep a eye on what I'm eating to try to get the best ratios...

Suggestions?

Well, what I would do is take a trip to the local book store and pick up a calorie counting book. Then, based on the info you provided, figure out how many calories you are eating (won't be exact, but gives you something to work with). Might take 15 minutes. Once you have this number, add 500 calories to it. My suggestion would be to have another meal that is equal to 500 calories during the day. Do this consistently for 1 week and you should gain about 1 pound.

If you are serious about adding some more weight, you might invest in a kitchen scale ($6 at walmart) and weigh your foods and record everything in a journal. This way, when you fail to gain the weight you expected, you'll be able to review and pinpoint where you messed up. It may not sound like much, but it actually works.

I'd also consider dropping some of your cardio (if not all of it). Gaining muscle and losing fat is difficult to do at the same time - focus on one or the other. I know you don't want to get huge or fat, but if you are already having trouble putting on weight the cardio isn't going to help.

Eat more, stupid.

Anthony's remarks are right on target.

It is just as much hard work to eat to gain muscle as it is to diet to lose fat.

Yeah, what Anthony said, because i hope you know that cardio not only burns fat but also muscle especialy if you do one of those hour long cardio marathon. And with the hard time to add the muscle mass, your metabolism doesnt increase as much, so its harder to lose fat. You may feel that oyu need to keep the cardio going to lose the extra fat pounds, but you might just be suprised that by reducing your cardio, and therefore increasing your muscle mass ( hopefully) that you will lose more fat!
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Yeah what Anthony said too........

Think about this, you all have heard me say it before:

If you do not know where you are (counting calories and gram) how are you going to get to where you want to go (getting bigger-or leaner)

Secondly- I will wait for Chris to jump all over this one..... training 6 days a week? For what?
    You really need to spend some time thinking about your goal and then look at what you are doing, everything possible to sabotage it...

Not enough food, cardio, over training.

So, read this entire thread carefully there is a lot of good advise and you should start to apply most of it today...

MissAbs
    Dieting is a Sport-Eat to Win!

www.MissAbs.com

Wannabebig Member
    I've gotten lectured from Tony many times... I just thought I'd post and see what everyone else had for ideas...

As far as the part about losing fat weight, I don't have any to loose. That's the main problem I think I'm having, all the 'diets' you read about for healthy living are usually based on a lower calorie count to help keep your weight down. Which is the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

As far as cardio goes, I do cardio simply for the fact that I rarely do any activites that will give me a good cardiovascular workout outside of the gym. I'm not going for the 21" bicep look, I just want a lean healthy shape. I do modelling as a hobby and you can't model clothing when you look like you eat small children for between meal snacks.

I think I will start keeping a journal of my meals, at least try it for a few days to find out the results.

As far as the comment on over training, that's a nill. I know my limits and don't over exert myself at the gym, I do short (60min) workouts but keep it fairly intense. My cardio workouts are usually about 30-50minutes of true cardio workout, ie reaching my target heartrate of about 155-170.

Any suggestions on calorie dense foods that are 'healthy'?

Oh, and thanks for the comments such far... Always good to hear suggestions.

[Edited by mental on 02-07-2001 at 02:47 PM]

Carbs - oatmeal, pasta, potatoes, yams, rice, etc.
    Protein - Any fish, eggs, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, milk, beef , whey powder, etc.
    Fats - flax seed oil, natural peanut butter, safflower oil, etc.

Ice cream.

Milk

Cheese

Steak

More milk

Actually... the perfect bulking meal would be a cheese steak sub with a glass of milk, followed by ice cream.

(Or, I could just be dreaming of getting to have a cheese steak... I hate dieting.)

Dead Sexy Member
    I too agree with Anthony thus i won't really give my input for it would be merely repeating what he said.

Mental, what modeling have you done?? I'm also a model.
    How are your abs??

What is up with the no cheese steak Paul? No keto for you?

Hmmmmmm
    MissAbs
    Dieting is a Sport-Eat to Win!

www.MissAbs.com

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Allen,

The abs are coming along nicely... I just started concentrating on my abs in the last few months, I've pretty good definination and have the tapered V-shape down pat...

As far as modeling goes, I've done quite a few run-way styled shows, everything from tux's to underwear... been doing it for a few years now. I actually have a show to do this weekend, a bridal show, tuxedos again... I find it great fun, if I get my body perfected to the fitness mag cover model look I'll be happy, and probably consider doing it full time, hard to say.

Here's another question for everyone, Weight Gainers, are they worth it? are they too much ? should I even consider investing in them until I find out my caloric intake?

Once again, Thanks to everyone posting.

hmm, i would suggest meal replacement before weight gainers. More protein in them, however if you decide to go with the weight gainers, which i believe isnt entirely bad if you can afford to put on a little fat, check your ingredients, make sure that most of the carbs come from maltodextrin and not simple suggars, and that there is a good protein/carb/fat ratio. If possible also, find one with efa's added. I find a good weight gainer is N Large by Prolab.
    Eat Tuna!
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    A male model, huh?

*cough* fag *cough*

Just kidding, bro!

Would be nice to be a model, but what the hell do you do with all the strech marks???

Wannabebig Member
    TripleP:

How can anything gay come out of walking around being oogled by a room filled with chicks... think about, the logic just doesn't work. lol

As far as strech marks go, I don't really have any except on my upper legs. Even those ones are fading. A good tip to get rid of those is a diet high in vitamin E as well as using a moisturizing lotion with AHA and Vit. E & C... that seems to help 'disolve' them.. I had quite a few on my legs at one point in time, now they are almost gone. *shrug* Do what works.

Frankster:

What is a good meal replacement drink/bar? any suggestions?

WEll, I like the gnc brand, its good stuff and not too expensive. Any brand that is well known, is pretty much a safe shot, like myoplex, Metrex, LeanBody, Mesotech, etc. But these are more expensive than the ones you buy in the containers. So i would say go for the Gnc brand if money is an issue :0)
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Mental, I'm confused, in one post you say you can't gain any size, but in the other you say you want that lean healthy shape. It sounds like you already have the lean healthy look. Miss Abs, I can't get too excited because he doesn't want a lot of size and he is only training with weights 3 days per week (the other 3 are cardio). If he is not looking to maximize size I think his routine is fine. My routines are for maximum size, but I can also appreciate his desire to be healthy and look good. Mental, if what you want is a little more size then I suggest you look to your training routine, not to add calories. My guess is that you would like to add 5-10 lbs of muscle. Am I right? If so, cut your cardio to 2 days per week, switch your routine to a four day split where you train each bodypart twice per week. Limit your sets to 3-5 heavy work sets to failure on large bodyparts and 2-3 on smaller ones. Try to add reps or weight during each session, and make sure you train as heavy as possible for whatever rep range works best for you. Make sure that you take at least 2 days per week off completely (no cardio, no weights, nothing!). I would suggest your cardio is done with a relatively low intensity and only last about 20-25 minutes. Try to do your cardio during the same days as you lift with weights (afterwards) and take the other three days off to rest. Two is minimum, but 3 would be better.
    Do not adjust your calories and you should end up a little bigger and leaner.

Wannabebig Member
    Hi again,

Chris, As you said in your reply, I do have the lean healthy shape I want, but not enough of size I want. Another 10-20 pounds of lean mass would meet my long term goal.

The problem I'm facing is that I want to get my cardiovascular in as good of shape as the rest of my body, and the only way to improve that is with cardio/aerobic workouts. Do you think that only 2 days a week of cardio is enough to reach a healthy leave of cardiovascular fitness ? My goal is to attain the 6 minute mile. I'm at 10.5 minutes now, dropped from 15.25 minutes. I was actually planning on increasing my cardio workouts...

I started this workout routine about 1.5 months ago, before I was doing only about 1hr total over the course of a weeek, now I'm up to about 3hrs total. Is it physically possible to gain lean mass AND keep up a good cardiovascular training regiment?

Once again, thank you all...

It is possible up to a certain point, and I really don't know if you are there as an individual yet. If those are your goals, then I say to go for it. I really don't think that upping your kcals will do the trick, I think that you need to train properly with the weights. I would still suggest the same routine with weights, but I would now suggest running twice per week using interval training at first. This means that your run for a set period of time at a high intensity level (run fast, not a sprint, but fast), followed by a rest period. I would suggest you run for 3 minutes at the high intensity followed by 3 minutes of rest. Do this until you have run 1-2 miles. After you have done this for a couple of months, switch to running continuously at lower intensity levels for 1-2 miles. Following this program should decrease you mile time significantly. I would run on your off days from the gym. I would suggest you train you legs with weights in a very high intensity style. 1 to 2 sets of squats or leg press to failure (after a warmup of course). This type of program will only get you to a certain size (hopefully 10-15 lbs bigger than now), but it will certainly achieve your personal goals.