The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deadlifting cars.

What kind of squat/deadlift poundages do you need to lift up the end of a car? Let's say a 2-ton sedan for example. I think one of the coolest pics I've seen was of Reg Park lifting a car on this page:

http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/regpark.html

I wanna do that someday!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i would love to do that too, if someone pisses you off, gone are the days of keying their car, just deadlift it instead, $10 says they would never mess with you again.

I don't know how much poundage it takes, but I can take the old VW bugs off the ground thanks to the leverage (I grab the bumper from behind my knees, so that I'm facing away from the car, makes it alot easier for me)
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6

Yeah, the picture I referenced has Reg kinda "hack-squatting" the car.

BTW, what's your max dead, theomen?

It looks like he's deadlifting the front of that car! That's got to be so heavy with the engine. Me and a buddy can get the rear end of a compact car off the ground if the trunks empty

One time we set the thing down and it pinned my knees. That sucked. Could have really done some damage.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Milk, Milk, Milk JeffWillConquer's Avatar
    That guy, is good. He won the mr. universe 3 times between 1951 and 1965. That's 14-15 years of being in Mr. universe quality shape. Wow.
    Growing
    Height: 5'11

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    It really depends on the car really. If we take a BMW m3 (I use this for its increadible weight distribution almost 50/50. In reality i think it is like 51/49 or 49/51 but we will use 50/50 to make my life a little easier)
    specs are here:
    http://apps.edmunds.com/new/2003/bmw...idenav..8.BMW*
    I'll make a few implied assumptions such as ignoring friction, changing of weight distribution as you lift, tire pressure. The number I come up with will be a good estimation though.

Length: 176.8 in
    Wheel Base: 107.5 in.
    Curb Weight: 3415 lbs.
    Lets convert this to metric goodness
    Length 4.49m
    Wheel Base: 2.73
    Weight 1 549kg

This system can be simplified into 1 bar with it's mass concentrated at the center (2.245m). Assume the wheel base is distributed in the middle of the frame thus the pivot is at 3.61m away from where you grab the car.
    Fm(force mass) = 7590N
    Mm=17039.5N.m
    you need to create this same moment to create equlibruim.
    Fu(force u)=481.6lbs.
    Anything above that will lift the car just off the ground. In reality a normal car would be a little easier to lift because not many cars have a 50/50 weight distribution. Though I don't know if friction and such would make up for this.
    But as you lift the car more force is required. I have to get to class now but if I have time later I might feel like doing the integration to find an equation.
    w00t

Banned
    I was watching a strongman competition on ESPN9211102 or whatever deep-channel cable carries this stuff.

they were doing deadlifts-to-static-holds of a compact car and they said that the equivalent weight as measured by some sort of force/torque thingy was in the neighborhood of 700lbs.

I don't know what my max dead is, but I imaging that it only takes about 350lbs, as it's pretty easy to take the front end of a VW off the ground. I can usually just get a hair up my ass and run over to someones car and take it up pretty easily. I haven't tried other cars, but I imagine a CRX would be in the same neighborhood and maybe a Mini. I could probably get a normal car in the air, but my head would probably explode, and I'm a little attatched to it. Actually the biggest problem with cars is the suspension, if they have alot of travel to them, sometimes I'm just not tall enough to get it all the way up.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"

Interesting... thanks for the math folks!

I guess I'll start with smaller cars.

Anybody remember that Mentos commercial where the mean guy stole this woman's parking space, so these guys came up and moved the other guy's car away? That'd be sweet too.

Yeah, that chick was hot.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

'member taht one time arnold lifted that caddy off when they were trying to get away in the movie? I always wondered if that was for real.

And in my old car. '94 Geo Metro 4dr. While I was in soccer practice the football guys would move it around side-ways in between cars and stuff. Nice guys really.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

I forget who it was, but some dude gave himself a brain hemmorage trying to lift his car after getting stuck in mud.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    As you lift the car off the ground it gets harder and harder 700lbs at the top of the lift soudns about right.
    w00t

Originally posted by theomen
    sometimes I'm just not tall enough to get it all the way up.

^^
    I blame the 1-ad
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"

Wannabebig Member
    if ur gonna try it, dont forget the E brake, or you;ll end up with a car goin backwards...i think
    Currently cutting with Bill Starr's 5x5

6/15/06
    5'9''
    ~15% bf

goal

168 lbs by 9/1/07

I don't know what my max dead is, but I imaging that it only takes about 350lbs, as it's pretty easy to take the front end of a VW off the ground.
    Um...which end are you referring to? Cause the engine alone weights more than that. I think 350 is shooting a little low.

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

the front end (VW's have the engine in the rear)
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"

I have a physics degree so I guess I can work this one out!

If weight distribution is even you would be lifting half the weight of the entire car/truck.
    But the engine is usually up front and adds alot of weight. So if your deadlifting from the back this is going to cut alot of the weight out as the centre of mass is up front.
    Due to this fact a flat bed truck isnt going to be as heavy as it looks as all the weight is in the front part of the vehicle and the rest of the vehicle will be like one huge lever acting to your advantage.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Patty, that was Eugen Sandow, and that brain hemmorage led to his death.

Hasnt anybody seen Pumping Iron? The scenes whtere Franco is moving the car that is wedged too closely to the other cars on the big hill?

Yeah, I remember that scene. He just picks it up from the front (I think) and shifts it sideways, twice.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Originally posted by Trent_Steel
    I have a physics degree so I guess I can work this one out!

If weight distribution is even you would be lifting half the weight of the entire car/truck.
    But the engine is usually up front and adds alot of weight. So if your deadlifting from the back this is going to cut alot of the weight out as the centre of mass is up front.
    Due to this fact a flat bed truck isnt going to be as heavy as it looks as all the weight is in the front part of the vehicle and the rest of the vehicle will be like one huge lever acting to your advantage.
    You might want to rethink your equation. The moment arm starts at the front wheel (assuming you are lifting from the back) which roughly corresponds to 3/4 the length of the car being a moment arm. Assuming even uniform density and symetrical geometry the center of mass is at 1/2 the length of the car. While the moment you apply is at the length l (3/4l relative to the pivot point).
    w00t

the front end (VW's have the engine in the rear)
    Um...are you sure. Then new ones don't. That's all I know