The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Strongman training...

1st day
    Hang clean and press
    Overhead squats
    Shrugs or powershrugs
    Powercurls
    Grip

2nd day
    Bench press
    Dips
    Pullovers
    Rows
    Pullups

3rd day
    Squats
    Front squats
    Zercher squats
    Calves
    Grip

4th day
    Strongman work
    Grip

5th day
    Rest

Most of the main lifts will either be multiple sets of single, doubles, and triples, 5x5, or 5x5,4,3,2,1

The 'assistance' or less important lifts will be done in whatever fashion I feel like doing.

Not all of the exercises on each given day will be performed necissarily. I'm going by instint there, if I don't feel up to doing one or two of them, I won't. I'll post what specific strongman lifts I'll be working at in a little bit....

Thoughts, suggestions, critiques?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good luck! If you're doing strongman stuff, you should get going on one-handed deads, and bent presses too.
    Last edited by Scott S; 09-30-2003 at 08:08 PM.

Originally posted by Scott S
    Good luck! If you're doing strongman stuff, you should get going on one-handed deads, and bent presses too.
    Thanks!

I've thought about those lifts, but I don't really have a specific reason to do either. My abs and obliques are strong enough right now. If they seem to be holding me back later I may add them in...

Do that voodoo that he do
    I'd switch your OH Squats and Cleans on day 1. The OH Squats will most benefit you as a lighter warm-up.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Originally posted by Borris
    I'd switch your OH Squats and Cleans on day 1. The OH Squats will most benefit you as a lighter warm-up.
    Good idea, I'll definately do that, as I have to have alot of warm up for my lowerback so it won't injure again...

I think I'll add behind the neck seated or standing presses on the squat day and take out front squats. My OH pressing strength is really weak.

I'll also add sumo deadlifts on the first day, I probably won't ever go very heavy on them though, just to keep some base strength in lifting weight off the floor, maybe work on speed some.

Are you really interested in Strongman competition?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    Are you really interested in Strongman competition?
    Very. I've always wanted to compete in one over a powerlifting or bodybuilding contest, but I've never really trained specifically to compete in one. After I get 6-8 months of good base strength and strength endurence built up, I may compete.

'Kay. I'm going to try to get a friend of mine to post and give you some tips.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Thanks a ton paul! I'd be willing to take any advice he could give me.

Excellent. I as well am training for strongman. I would love to hear some tips. Thanks Paul.

Wannabebig Member
    A few observations:

You seem to be doing a lot of grip work. Any specific reason? And what are you hoping to get out of the OH squats? Also you should add in some form of standing OH press, as most contests these days have a log lift event.

I would stay with 5x5. Strongman contests are as much about endurance as strength.

What do you mean by "Strongman work"? A lot of the training for strongman needs to involve "event specific" training. If you have picked a contest already, then you know the events you need to be practicing.

If not then you can probably count on a tire flip, log lift, and farmers walk. They seem to be pretty standard events.

You need to concentrate on getting the big 3 up to respectable numbers first. Then follow baldman's advice.
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Originally posted by RG570
    You need to concentrate on getting the big 3 up to respectable numbers first. Then follow baldman's advice.
    While the big 3 are good for strength, there are many more facets to strongman training than the powerlifting lifts....

Originally posted by baldman
    A few observations:

You seem to be doing a lot of grip work. Any specific reason? And what are you hoping to get out of the OH squats? Also you should add in some form of standing OH press, as most contests these days have a log lift event.

I would stay with 5x5. Strongman contests are as much about endurance as strength.

What do you mean by "Strongman work"? A lot of the training for strongman needs to involve "event specific" training. If you have picked a contest already, then you know the events you need to be practicing.

If not then you can probably count on a tire flip, log lift, and farmers walk. They seem to be pretty standard events.
    Grip strength is essential to being competetive in strongman contests. Many of the events almost completely depend upon your grip strength i.e. hercules hold, farmers walk.

The overhead squats were mainly for shoulder stability and extra shoulder work, as well as flexibility and balance.

By strongman work I meant event training.

I've already put together a new routine with help from people on other boards, tell me what you think:

1st day
    Overhead squats(mainly as a warmup)
    Hang clean and press(possibly high reps, 8-15 reps per set)
    Zercher deadlifts
    Bench press
    Shrugs or powershrugs
    Powercurls

2nd day
    Rest

3rd day
    Squats
    Zercher squats
    Rows
    Behind the neck pushpress

I plan on working all of these very hard on this day.

4th day
    Strongman event training

5th day
    Rest

I think what he's asking is why you think you need so much grip work. Is it a weakness?
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    I think what he's asking is why you think you need so much grip work. Is it a weakness?
    Yes.

Here is a response from another bud - he's also baldman's training partner

"First, does he have a contest picked out and when? As Baldman suggested, he needs to do specific event training. If the contest is within a couple of months, he may even want to do most (75%) of his training just doing the events. Get access to the equipment and train the events as they will be in the contest.

Second, I think he is doing too much gym work - but he is 15 and may still have good recovery with his joints and muscles. He needs to work on core strength, which he seems to have a good workout plan already. Do some heavy abs. Bench will not have much carryover unless it has a specific purpose ie speed work, close grip bp, etc. Become familiar with both the power movements dl and squat (to build core strength) along with technique work like push presses / jerks / cleans(for log press, yoke, farmer's walk). Do heavy curls / tris and back movements (rows and chins) to help events like conans wheel, husefeld stone cary, tireflip, log clean and press. At this time, keep developing overall body strength. Use the event training to get in cardio / endurance work - start light on the events and let your body develop the adaption response to the events. Once he starts giong heavy on event training, he will find he can only train heavy 2-3 x/wk. IMO, a good routine for him would be 2x/wk gym work (like a westside routine with some OL mixed in) max squat/speed bp/light cleans/ heavy abs then heavy overheads or close grip bp / speed squats / heavy rows / heavy bis &tris. day 3 = events. Maybe train grip 2x/wk.

Good luck to the young man and hope to see him compete one day. and a successful strongman"
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by xMeat_Headx

By strongman work I meant event training.
    Sorry, should have asked more clearly. What exact event training are you doing? What equipment do you have available to you? How much storage do you have for equipment?

I've already put together a new routine with help from people on other boards, tell me what you think:

1st day
    Overhead squats(mainly as a warmup)
    Hang clean and press(possibly high reps, 8-15 reps per set)
    Zercher deadlifts
    Bench press
    Shrugs or powershrugs
    Powercurls

2nd day
    Rest

3rd day
    Squats
    Zercher squats
    Rows
    Behind the neck pushpress

I plan on working all of these very hard on this day.

4th day
    Strongman event training

5th day
    Rest
    This looks better. Read Paul's last post for the structure of this and future workouts. As for what you have now:

Keep the OH squats as a warm up if you want, but only as a light, high rep warmup. Hang Cleans are good, but just do regular deads. No need to do Zerchers. And instead of behind the neck pushpress, do it normally.

I appreciate the help alot guys!

I haven't looked at any specific competitions for me yet, but I want to train farmers walk(weights in suitcases or dumbells for now...), tire flips(if I can get a tire), and loading(with whatever random objects I can find) since those seem to be present in almost every competition. A log looks just about impossible to get right now... At my house(which is where I will be doing the strongman training) I don't really have any equipment, aside from basic weights, a wheelbarrow which I may tear apart for sled work, a pile of wood, an army duffel bag full of fertilizer bags(used for dino work), and a few vehicles I could push.

Are there any other events I should train? Where can I get equipment?

Day 1
    OH squat warmup
    Squat(max)
    Speed/light zercher squats
    Speed bench
    Cleans
    Powershrugs
    Weighted situps or high cable abs

Day 2
    OH squat warmup
    OH barbell press
    Deadlifts(possibly speed)
    Rows
    Powercurls
    Dips/db skullcrushers

I was told that zerchers help alot with round back lifting and picking up objects off the ground(as in loading...), which is why I'd at least like to practice them.

Wannabebig Member
    Equipment:

For cheap farmers walk implements, go here http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/TITEFW.htm

Tires are easy to get, hard to get rid of. Any construction company or company with heavy equipment will be glad to give you a used tire.

Logs can also be made, but you'll have to find the materials and get with a welder. You can also make a yoke from pipe you can pick up at Home Depot.

Taking apart a wheelbarrow for a sled is good. You can use it for drag and pulling.

Look at www.nastrongman.com for contests in your area. Most yearly contests seem to have relatively the same events and that will give you an idea of what you need to focus on.

Thanks bald and paul!