Thread: Deadlift in place of Squatting???

Always bad with diet

Deadlift in place of Squatting???

Im the fool who has big problems trying to squat. Now can deadlifting take place of the squat? I am on the WBB routine, and basically my question is should I just forget the squat and add more deadlifting to my routine, or should I keep the squat but only do very light weight. I try squatting all the time, and once I put on any little considerable amount of poundage, I do not squat properly which is worthless. What do you guys think?

Don't totally give up on squatting yet.

Yes, deadlifts are a wonderful substitute. Focus on them, use leg presses, and practice light squats.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Listen to Paul.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I'd have to disagree with both Latman and Paul. I don't think deadlifts "attack" the quads and hams nearly as well as squats do. I think deadlifts work the back and glutes more than anything.

If you have trouble with squats with weight; don't worry about it.
    You have to start somewhere. I learned how to do squats with only 95 pounds. I felt like a puss, but it doesn't really matter. It killed my quads.

( A lot has to do with the way you perform your deadlifts as well; there are so many different variations. )

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I never said that. Paul said not to give up on squatting, but for someone not suqtting, doing deads and leg press will build good legs.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by LATMAN
    I never said that. Paul said not to give up on squatting, but for someone not suqtting, doing deads and leg press will build good legs.
    latty is correct. I would add leg extensions for direct work. So for someone not squatting do leg presses and leg extensions.

A deadlift is like doing a half squat. Add in leg press and you'll have some trunks on your legs.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Bigger fewl
    Alot of that depends on your form. You can make deadlifts hit your legs very nicely, it's a matter of your stance and how low you bend your back.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.