The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How do you do your bent over barbell rows?

I've seen different descriptions and animations of how to perform this exercise on the internet.
    I am trying to find a set form to do these in. Which is the best way, and how do you do yours? Do you use an overhand or underhand grip, I've seen both in animations. Also is your back at a 90 degree angle pretty much or about 45 degrees? I am finding that if I try to do it like how the guy on exrx does it I get strain put on my lower back, anyone know why and if that is supposed to happen?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think he goes too low in that example. When I did them, I was at 45 degrees. Less stress on lower back IMO. I do t bar rows now, same stance as BB rows. I get a slight pump in lower back when I do rows.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I do mine with an overhand grip and at about a 45 deg angle.

Couldn't tell you about the other, my back is usually toast by the time I get to rows anyway.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Good questin, I`ve often wondered that myself. But I just do what works for me. I`m very careful about my back on these lifts cuz I can feel the strain. But have yet to hurt myself. I start at 90degrees, but end up at more of a45 at the top of the lift. I guess I raise up a bit especially as I begin to fail. I use an overhand grip. And when I`m done with a set I`m real slow and deliberate about setting the bar down, cuz of that back strain you mentioned. That and I dont want to put a hole in my livingroom floor !!!

Yes 90 degrees puts an insane amount of stress on the lower back. Good to hear other people do them at about 45 degrees. How wide do you guys grip the bar? I'm gonna go do a few sets now and focus more on the form.

I stay at about 45 degrees also. Make sure you keep your back sort of arched, looking up kind of like a squat, that way you won't stress your lower back. HOlding your abs tight and keeping your back right will prevent any lower back strain.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

I grip the bar same as a deadlift. I just put my thumbs at the edge of the knurling and spread them out to my grip point (about 2 inches out).

I've switched completely to DB rows, personally. When I did BB rows, I couldn't get my balance, and I wore out my lower back.

Originally posted by Scott S
    I've switched completely to DB rows, personally. When I did BB rows, I couldn't get my balance, and I wore out my lower back.
    Those would be really interesting to try. My heaviest dumbells are only 35lbs though so that might not be enough. Anyways I got the form down, did several sets tonight and felt it good.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Underhand grip about sholder width apart a little lower then 45 degrees. 90 degrees imo is pretty damn hard to do. I can't even bend over really like that with just the bar in my hand.
    w00t

Wannabebig Member
    where do u guys bring the bar upto??? i've heard different things from different bb's. i started lifting it to lower chest/upper abs, but then an experienced bb told me to just bring it to my waist and clench my shoulder blades together on contraction.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning!

upper abs

:withstupi

Meaning, the upper part of the rectus abdominus.

make sure you don't "round" your back and tilt your hip, as if your squatting.
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

at least 45degrees, overhand grip
    "Plan for difficulty when it is still easy, do the great when it is still small."
    -Tao Te Ching

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    -Confucius

Wannabebig Member
    is it worth doing bb rows if youre doing T bar rows?

Originally posted by Dedicated
    upper abs

I thought it was lower abs.

Anyways, I bring em to lower abs, shoulder width grip, underhand, about 45®¨.
    I am cool beyond all natural explanation.

Originally posted by Ed C.

I thought it was lower abs.

Anyways, I bring em to lower abs, shoulder width grip, underhand, about 45®¨.
    Woops your right, I will start doing that. According to exrx and another site it said lower abs or upper waist so yea your right. Underhand seems harder lol. Maybe I will try that tommorow morning.