Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can too much protein make you fat?

KING DAVALOS IV

Can too much protein make you fat?

I drink a myoplex for my breakfast in the morning that has 52g of protein and i put 2 tablespoons of natty PB in it for some fat, is that too much protein for me to take in all at once without any of being converted to fat?
    It's better to burn out than fade away!!!

its your bottom line calorie count that will determine whether or not you put on weight for the most part.

i dont' seee anything wrong with eating that for breakfast

:withstupi

What he said.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

I agree that total calorie balance will be the determing factor as to whether or not you gain/lose weught.

Although if one were to overfeed on just protein alone then it should not contribute lead to any significant amount of fat gain, assuming you were eating protein with minimal fat. Excess protein will be converted to glucose, via gluconeogenesis, and the conversion of glucose to fat is not an effecient process in the body (de novo lipogenesis).

Did I miss something here?
    Help me for a sec....

Protein turns to fat?

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    excess calories = fat
    protien = calories
    w00t

Originally posted by PizDoff
    Help me for a sec....

Protein turns to fat?
    The protein does not necessarily turn into fat, but if you are eating an excess amount of protein then the body will not be burning any stored bodyfat and storing dietary fat.

As previously stated, calorie balance will be the determining factor as to whether or not you gain/lose weight.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Originally posted by PizDoff
    Help me for a sec....

Protein turns to fat?
    it can after it's converted to sugar

Originally posted by Holto

it can after it's converted to sugar
    Like Bradley Stated if eated alone then it is harder for it to turn into fat. Hence the TEF, I think its like 45-55% gets burned in the digestion process.

Originally posted by AJ_11

Like Bradley Stated if eated alone then it is harder for it to turn into fat. Hence the TEF, I think its like 45-55% gets burned in the digestion process.
    Agreed. You would have to eat a huge amount of protein to cause DNL. Just think how little DNL contributes to fat gain during short periods of overfeeding on carbs, i.e. refeeding.

Wannabebig Member
    Bradley if I take in 200 mg of proetien from shakes daily and another 200 from whole foods could this be a bad practice, an example would be 1 shake am pre cardio, then 1 shake pre weight trainingw/carbs , 1 shake post workout , then 1 b4 bed w/ flax oil, then inbetween all that i have 4 fist sized meals all high protien low carbs, just wondering becuase for the last 4 weeks my weight hasnt moved, i was trying to convert some unwanted or stubborn fat into LBM any suggestions or thoughts
    if you have to ask you cant afford it!!

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Thats all you eat for breakfast?

but think what happens with protien during this 'burning off'
    Oxidation is the process of getting energy from food, energy that could have been provided from bodyfat.

Originally posted by triplej
    Bradley if I take in 200 mg of proetien from shakes daily and another 200 from whole foods could this be a bad practice, an example would be 1 shake am pre cardio, then 1 shake pre weight trainingw/carbs , 1 shake post workout , then 1 b4 bed w/ flax oil, then inbetween all that i have 4 fist sized meals all high protien low carbs, just wondering becuase for the last 4 weeks my weight hasnt moved, i was trying to convert some unwanted or stubborn fat into LBM any suggestions or thoughts
    The chances of you losing bf while gaining significant amounts of muscle are slim, and you would probably see better results focusing on one goal at a time.

Taking in that much protein is not going to hurt you, unless you have some previous medical condition (kidney issues, etc.). The excess calories are the reason that you are not losing bf, and keep in mind that just because you are taking in 400g of protein does not necessarily mean you will add LBM. More protein does not equal more muscle, and providing the body with more than it needs will just cause the protein to be oxidized for energy. In order for you to lose bf you will need to create a calorie deficit, so a good place to cut back cals would be to cut down your protein intake. ~1g of protein per lb. of bw would be plenty.

1gr is a good place to start, I like to get 1.5 to 2g. That's becasue I focus all my meals around protein. I usually either have P+f or P+C meals. It all comes down to whether you are in a caloric surplus or defiecient at the end of the day. But I will tell you this my that, if you eat to much protein, and not enough fats or carbs, you will start feeling like sh!t. Also if weight loss is #1 make sure you are getting all you fats from EFA and olive oil, some saturated fats, carbs from Starches mainly low on the GI, and quality protein.

Just my $0.02

Originally posted by bradley
    I agree that total calorie balance will be the determing factor as to whether or not you gain/lose weught.

Although if one were to overfeed on just protein alone then it should not contribute lead to any significant amount of fat gain, assuming you were eating protein with minimal fat. Excess protein will be converted to glucose, via gluconeogenesis, and the conversion of glucose to fat is not an effecient process in the body (de novo lipogenesis).

Ok, but Bradley, what do you think happens to the converted glucose if you are already consuming more than your daily needed calories?

Your body either burns calories or stores them as fat.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

bone crusher
    yes true but 1 kcal of excess protein does not equal 1 kcal of fat

bone crusher
    i should condition that statement on the fact that there are way to many variables to apply it to real life situations.

Originally posted by chris mason
    Ok, but Bradley, what do you think happens to the converted glucose if you are already consuming more than your daily needed calories?

Your body either burns calories or stores them as fat.
    I agree that total calorie balance is the main determining factor as to whether or not you gian weight, although in my post you will notice that I stated if one were to overfeed on protein alone.

Excess protein will be converted to glucose, and the glucose will then be used for immediate energy or stored as glycogen and/or fat. My point is that the conversion of glucose to fat is not likely to contribute to fat gain, in the short term anyway.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
    "De novo lipogenesis increases after overfeeding with glucose and sucrose to the same extent in lean and obese women but does not contribute greatly to total fat balance."

This study shows that continued overfeeding on glucose will cause fat gain, so de novo lipogenesis can contribute to fat gain if one were to continuously overfeed on glucose.

Gluconeogenesis is also costly from an energy standpoint, so yes it is possible to gain fat from overfeeding on protein alone, but it would require a large amount of protein.

Bradley, let's look at what was said.

You said, "Although if one were to overfeed on just protein alone then it should not lead to any significant amount of fat gain, assuming you were eating protein with minimal fat. Excess protein will be converted to glucose, via gluconeogenesis, and the conversion of glucose to fat is not an effecient process in the body (de novo lipogenesis)."

Ok, now this scenario was about
    overfeeding . Overfeeding means one is consuming more calories than are necessary. Someone who is consuming sufficient calories (of a normal mix) will have full glycogen stores most of the time (obviously not right after exercise).

Now, if the excess calories were protein (no or low fat), you said that they would be converted to glucose. Let's assume this is accurate. If the body already has sufficient glucose and this created glucose is excess (remember we are overfeeding), then the body has no choice but to convert the bulk of this excess glucose to fat.

You said that it should not lead to any significant fat gain. What would it lead to? Where would the excess calories/glucose go?

You also said that total calories consumed vs. burned was the primary factor in fat gain or loss. I agree with you there completely.

So, I agreed with you partially, but not with the statement that protein during overfeeding will not be converted to fat.

Now, keep in mind, if one has stimulated tissue growth with weightlifting etc., then consuming more protein to meet the body's increased need (and total calories) would not be turned to fat, but then you wouldn't be overfeeding either.
    Last edited by chris mason; 10-04-2003 at 06:33 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

It is important to distanguish between glucose/protein being converted to fat (de novo lipogenesis) and excess glucose/protein/calories causing fat gain. Here are some quotes from a recent post I made on this subject:

"The body does not convert significant amounts of carbs to fat, excluding certain unusual situations (very low fat diet, very high fructose/sucrose consumption, medical conditions, ...). The study at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract found that when subjects ate a diet with a 50% caloric surplus of carbohydrates, less than 5g of fat per day was created via DNL (converting carbs or protein to fat). "
    "For 5 days the subjects overfed 50% of their energy requirement by adding carbs to their diet. Even under such extreme conditions, less than 5g of carbs per day was converted to fat. This does not mean that the sujects did not gain body fat. Fat burning slowed down and carb/glycogen burning increased so that more fat was stored than burned. In this way a caloric surplus of carbs increases body fat without filling up glycogen stores and without converting carbs to fat. "
    Last edited by aka23; 10-04-2003 at 06:47 PM.

If one eats an excess of calories then that doesn't mean that the the person gains fat. Let's look at a above maintence diet where a person is taking in more calories, therefor gaining muscle and fat. CHO, would refill glycogen levels quicker and casuing more of an insulin response which would immediatley halt fat burning. Fats also breakdown slower and an excess of fat would also be stored. Protein og the other hand, would be broken down and used by the body, and would less likely to be stored as actually bodyfat.

It all depends on the source as well. If it came from whey, it would be broken down sooner and stored being converted to glucose becasue of it High BV value. Hypotheticial speaking if one was to overeat say, Tuna of the entire day. And eating say 1000 cals overmaintence, it would be the least likely source to turn into actual bodyfat.

Take the same scenario and overfeed on a dietary fat, or carb then the person is more likely to store as bodyfat.

Originally posted by chris mason
    Now, if the excess calories were protein (no or low fat), you said that they would be converted to glucose. Let's assume this is accurate. If the body already has sufficient glucose and this created glucose is excess (remember we are overfeeding), then the body has no choice but to convert the bulk of this excess glucose to fat.

You said that it should not lead to any significant fat gain. What would it lead to? Where would the excess calories/glucose go?
    I am referring to overfeeding on protein alone, much in the same way one would overfeed on carbs only when refeeding. You are correct in that the calories will have to go somewhere and this can be explained by the energy deficit caused by the conversion of protein to glucose and also when overfeeding one would see an increase in metabolic rate, which could explain another area where an energy was being used.

The study below documents an increase in metabolic rate after ingestion of 500g of carbs.

Of course if you are overfeeding you will not be burning stored bf and you will be using an increased amount of glucose and stored glycogen for energy, as aka23 previously mentioned.

This study also addresses one of the points made in your post, regarding glycogen levels and amount of fat synthesized from overfeeding on glucose. The study does show that the group previously following a high fat diet had greater glycogen storage than the mixed or high carbohydrate group, but even after the ingestion of 500g of carbs there was no significant change in bf levels.

Originally posted by AJ_11
    Take the same scenario and overfeed on a dietary fat, or carb then the person is more likely to store as bodyfat.
    Well if one were to overfeed on carbs alone you would not see much in the way of fat gain, but I am thinking you might have meant carb+fat.

Come on guys, is it really important to distinguish exactly where the fat came from?

In other words, let's assume the study you mentioned was correct aka. If it is, people still got fatter overeating carbs, just like they would get fatter overeating protein.

Whether the body slows down fat burning etc. is really rather irrelevent to the main point of the argument which is that overeating, by definition, leads to an increase in bodyfat. That is exactly what the study states.

Reading your guy's posts might make one wonder how it is possible to get fat. Overeating protein doesn't do it (according to you), overeating carbs doesn't do it (according to you), so exactly how did the millions and millions of Americans who are fat get that way?

What I am trying to make you guys understand is that you have to be able to pull back from the theory of the science you are reading and look at the objective reality as well. If you overeat, you will gain fat. It is really that simple. Now, you will also gain muscle (especially if training hard), and certain kinds of foods do promote fat gain more than others, but the simple hard facts are that you will gain bodyfat (if you overeat for an extended period of time, not just a few days).
    Last edited by chris mason; 10-05-2003 at 09:16 AM.