Thread: # of exercises for shoulders and back!

# of exercises for shoulders and back!

How many exercises you guys do on shoulder day and back day?

At the moment I have a hard time figuring out how many different exercises are ideal to encourage muscle growth! I do lift heavy, but sometimes I find myself doing 5 or 6 different exercises with 3-4 sets each before my lifting session is over. That is by far too much isn't it?

I've heard 3-4 exercises, with heavy weights and 3 sets, going 10 reps, 8 reps and 6 reps as the weight increases.

Also been told that for the shoulders, 1 exercise for the front, 2 for the side and 2 for the back, which would result in 5 exercises. Is that too much for shoulders or not?

I work shoulders alone on one day, and back on another day combined with triceps. Needless to say with 5 back exercises, adding 4 triceps exercises keeps me busy for quite a while at the gym.

How many exericses you guys do for shoulders and back? What do you consider ideal exercises....I know what works for some people doesn't necessarily work for other people, but just to get a general idea and other ideas

Thanks in advance for the feedback!!
    -=-* Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *-=-

I do 4 exercises for back, 8 total sets.
    Ideal back: Rows, pullups. Some people also do deadlifts on back day.

Shoulders, 2 exercises, 6 sets.
    Ideal shoulders: Any overhead press(BB front press, DB front press) or military press, 1 rear delt fly of some sort.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I don't have a specific shoulder and back day but I work those bodyparts 3 times a week.

For shoulders I do 9 sets 3 times a week
    Standing Military Press(front delt) 3 sets of 8
    Lateral Raises(side delt) 3 sets of 8
    Seated Rear Lateral Raises(rear delt) 3 sets of 8

For Back I do 15 sets 3 times a week
    Chinups 3 sets
    Pullups 3 sets
    Bent Over Rows 3 sets of 8
    Shrugs 3 sets of 8
    Deadlifts 3 sets of 8

Sometimes I throw in extra back and shoulder work as a pm workout also.

If I had access to a gym, I would prolly do pulldowns and some form of machine rows as well.

I'm very happy with my shoulder routine, cause it hits all the different parts of the shoulder. If I had access to a gym though, I might look for something else to isolate the rear delts and replace what I have now with some machine etc.

I do back twice a week and both days I do

2 sets of chin-ups
    3 sets of bb rows
    2 sets of shrugs
    3 sets of deadlift(only once a week)

Shoulders once a week with
    2 sets of military press
    2 sets lateral raise
    2 sets front raise
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    The thing you have to remember about shoulders is they play a major role in all types of pressing movements- be it bench, dips, decline, OH presses. Not only that, but they play a stabilizing role in many lifts. For myself, its easy to overtrain if you dont take this into account.

Junior makes a good point, especially if you do work shoulders and you bench the very next day or vice versa etc.

thanks for the quick feedback guys..makes it easier for me to see what I'm doing wrong and what I can improve

I usually do chest on monday, and shoulders on thursday, back and triceps on friday so I guess working tri's on friday and shoulders on thursday gives the shoulders a double workout. I might have to make some changes to my current routine,

Monday: Chest and bi's
    Tuesday: legs
    Wednesday: Off
    Thursday: Shoulders
    Friday: Back and tri's..

A friend of mine at the gym told me to do the following:

Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Shoulders
    Wednesday: Legs
    Thursday: Back
    Friday: Bi's and tri's..

That would give me an extra day of workout, but what my concern is overtraining..I guess if I kept the sets to a minimum for every exercise, I would be safe
    Last edited by ThreeD; 10-06-2003 at 02:00 AM.
    -=-* Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *-=-

Gonadius Maximus

Re: # of exercises for shoulders and back!

Originally posted by ThreeD
    How many exercises you guys do on shoulder day and back day?

I work shoulders alone on one day, and back on another day combined with triceps. Needless to say with 5 back exercises, adding 4 triceps exercises keeps me busy for quite a while at the gym.

You might want to try triceps on chest day.