The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    WBB Member

need help finding a gym in London

I just moved to London this past August and will be living here until the end of the year (study abroad program). I am having difficulty finding a good gym to workout at. So far I have looked at LA Fitness, Fitness First, Gold's Gym, and a few other smaller places. LA Fitness didn't have nearly enough equipment, Gold's Gym is way too far away from where I am (zone 1), and I have been a member of Fitness First for the past month but am not too happy with it. Basically it seems like all the places I have been to have a very small selection of free weights, and I strongly prefer free weights to machines (was going to give the MAX-OT workout a try eventually). I was recently looking at ULU's gym, which is better than the others I mentioned, but still seems to have a relatively small selection of free weights. Can anyone recommend me a gym in London that has a good selection of free weights? Also it would help a lot if it were in zone 1, as anything further out really isn't very practical for me. Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I know what you mean, I goto fitness first too, and the free weights are so rubbish Ive got my own so I dont have to queue to use them.
    Ive set up a home gym for my lifts, and I use fitness first for what its good at, and that is cardio, the free drinks are nice too

Look in the yellow pages for smaller independent gyms. As you've found, the chains are not so good on the free weights.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

Londons a big place man , were abouts do you live.i anint familiar with train zones, ha ha.My gym in se london is superb.
    It has brilliant equiptment, many pros train there but it aint intimidating

WBB Member
    Well I live off of Edgware Road near Marble Arch, if that helps. What is the name and location of your gym? What are the membership fees?

Originally posted by dubliner
    Londons a big place man , were abouts do you live.i anint familiar with train zones, ha ha.My gym in se london is superb.
    It has brilliant equiptment, many pros train there but it aint intimidating
    Which one is it ?

Where you studying at? Have you checked if they have a free weights gym?

WBB Member
    My school only has a small workout room with one of those all-in-one machines and a couple of treadmills, which definitely isn't going to work for me. It is actually the same university I attend in the states, they just have a program where they send a number of students over each semester to study. Because they don't have an entire campus over here, the facilities are somewhat limited.

im studing at city university next year, any good gyms near there?
    Check out my max ot Journal

MAX-OT JOURNAL

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by universal
    im studing at city university next year, any good gyms near there?
    Well I ended up joining SOHO gym Covent Garden, which was a pretty good place. I don't know which site of City Uni. you are at, but I checked their website http://www.city.ac.uk/maps/ and SOHO is pretty close to all of them. It should be within walking distance of the Holborn tube stop, IIRC.

Also I noticed you do MAX-OT. I use that as well, and found that SOHO had everything I needed for that. A lot of gyms I looked at in London didn't have very many free weights, and were more focused on cardio.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 04-09-2004 at 08:01 PM.

thanks alot special K! yea i just need free weights, i can run outside or walk for cardio, but i needs my free weights and ive heard the gym scene is not nearly as big over there

MAX-OT JOURNAL

Wannabebig Member
    Soho Gyms Is Alright They Ve Got Quite A Lot Of Free Weightsi Got Tthe One In Camden Town I Think It S A Bit Bigger Than The One In Covent Garden .city University Is Not Far From Angel Which Is In North London Near Camden .but There Is A Gym Newly Open Not Far From The Uni.

thanks ank uk

MAX-OT JOURNAL

Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar
    I've traveled to Europe about half a dozen times and finding good gyms are difficult. I've been to London, Birmingham, Ireland, Amsterdam, Belgium, and am going to Cologne next month. I plan on not working out while I"m there. That's just the way it is for me. Space is at a premium and once they build something, they keep the structure around for hundreds of years.

Europeans aren't as big on lifting as we are. Of course, they aren't as big on eating either.
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey