The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help.. I think im addicted to food..

Hey guys.. i think i have a problem.. seriously... all through the day, all i can think about is my food.. like, even if i just finished a meal, im spending the next 3 hours thinking about./wanting my next meal.. i usually end up eating nonstop for a loong time.. even when m past the full point.. almost to the point of throwing up.. and i still want more food... this is getting diffucult because im trying to cut now lol.. and i can't stop the cravings to go eat food! im taking about.. putting down 5 cups of dry oats without stoping.. even though it make take me an hour to do it.. i just always want to be eating.. for the first week or so i didn't let it bother me.. but now i think i got sum type of mental problem.. anyone else ever experiance this? anyone got suggestions as to what i can to to stop thinking about food?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Eat lots of low cal/calorie free food. Broccoli and sugar free jello come to mind. Willpower will also have to come into play if you want to cut.

5 cups of dry oats... good god thats 1500 calories LOL. Sorry. I have no idea. Try cooking them. That normally fills me up more than dry oats.

I know what you are talking about, I am sometimes the same way. It is called Binge Eating Disorder. Thgere is actually a couple of support threads in other forums.

Eating Disorder Support Group

How low is your caloric intake,
    what does your diet look like and,
    how long have you been cutting are some question that play an important role. Just remeber that you are not alone and there are people that have gotten over this. PM me if you need some more advice. Don't let yourself get down over it, try to find a solution to it.

i would also suggest drinking water like there's no tomorrow(make me feel full for a while), and chewing gum like crazy.

junior - ive tried that, once i ate 3 heads of iceberg letuce that fills ya up lol and i can not find this sugar free jello everyone talks about! is it sold in canada? what brand name? all i can find is fat free.. but it has like 80 cals per serving, with 4-5 servings in a box!

AJ_11 - thanx for the link. i'll be reading it all and my calorie intake right now is @ 2500, i'll slowly reduce it to 2000 as i continue my cut tho, ive only just started my cut.

Jasonl - that is my plan actually, when i feel the need of eating coming on. im going to walk to the store, buy one of those 4l jugs, and drink the whole thing :P or till i get too full and am unable to walk back home the water will only do my good anyway :P

thanx for the help so far guys, i'll make it

Originally posted by defcon
    i can not find this sugar free jello everyone talks about! is it sold in canada? what brand name? all i can find is fat free.. but it has like 80 cals per serving, with 4-5 servings in a box!
    You are looking at the sugar free fat free pudding which has 80 calories per serving. The sugar free gelatin is made by Jell-O, and comes in fruity flavors such as orange, lime, cherry, etc. I am sure they have it in Canada because I have heard Callahan mention it before.

Have you considered it is the foods that you are eating that is causing the hunger? Have you tried replacing more of your carbs with fats, with the exception being post workout? The swings in blood sugar will only help to increase your hunger, and controlling insulin levels throughout the day will probably help with appetite control.

its not really i eat because im hungry.. im could cut on 1500 cals a day and not feel "hungry" i just can't controle me "want" to eat.. its like, i'll keep eating oatmeal until i feel like i need to throw up. its weird

its not really i eat because im hungry.. im could cut on 1500 cals a day and not feel "hungry" i just can't controle me "want" to eat.. its like, i'll keep eating oatmeal until i feel like i need to throw up. its weird
    You know I have been there and kinda in one of those moods as of late too? I can't describe it, and unless you suffer from it, ( It is a eating disorder, people one that can be controlled but it has alot to do with the phsychy)

I recommend that you read the entire thread, it helped me out. Everytime I get an urge to binge well I usually give in, untill the point that I feel really sick and then I still continue to eat.

I think that therer are alot of people woith eating disorders and in actuallity never knew it was a disorder untill reading that thread. Everyone suggestions help but it is more in the mind and the more you eat the hungrier you get.

If a certain food is triggering these binge sessions, then maybe you should not eat that particular food, even if it is considered "healthy." In your case it seems to be oatmeal, at least from the posts you have made.

I am no psychiatrist , but I tend to think that if you don't give in it will be easier to resist the urge next time. If it is really something that is concerning you, or you feel you don't have control over then talk to someone. You are in college right? I am sure they have counselors or something similar to help with these types of problems.

one thing i have noticed about cravings, if you can survive the first 15mins and not give in, most of the time they go away, until triggered again.

this is what works for me

Bradley sometimes it can be triggered by food, sometimes it can be triggered my a life experience but really sometimes it just starts for no reason.

I agree with bradley, talking about it helps. I know that I have just gone through a relapse, a couple of days ago. You don't even want to know what I ate.

But they arn't craving either, cause craving I can control, it's like you brain ****s off and you know what you are doing is bad for you but at that point you don't care and continue to stuff your face.

Originally posted by AJ_11

But they arn't craving either, cause craving I can control, it's like you brain ****s off and you know what you are doing is bad for you but at that point you don't care and continue to stuff your face.
    BUMP on that.. and bradely.. dry oats + hot sauce = my biggest problem :P but if i replaced my carbs from oatmeal with say.. ww bread or sumthing of the sort, then i would have the same problem its all mental, i just gotta work it out, ive managed to fight off the 1 huge craving i had today.. almost binged again.. but i held myself from it.. so im going to bed in 2 hours from now, and i im greatly looking forward to my last meal but i went a day without a binge! woohoo, and i WILL make it through tommorow also .. and the next day.. ect ect

Hmm. Dry orts and hot Sauce eh! maybe I'll have to give that a whirl.

I'm pulling for ya man. Me unfortunately it oatmeal+whey. And cereal+whey. Honestly I think that I am addicted to whey powder.

although I have to admit, I am getting a nice pump. Also today, it was pizza, too, my boss offered me some and when I refused, he mentions "oh you on some kind of diet so I had 3 peices, and contunie to eat about 6 bagels after that. So that is what set it off. Well I puit him in his place.

See on some on my worst days i can get upwards of 10,000 cals easily, but i do make better choice in food not(with the exception of today) So the 15 # that I will put on I drop in a few days of diet. It's a vicous cycle. Well Tomorro I start dieting again, I can go usually a week solid.

He I THink that this should be made a sticky, as I know there are alot more people that suffer from this. There are a few on other boards and I think people like us - should all pull for each other, eating disorders are not uncommon and it also typical that people with eating disorders don't even realize that what they are doing is really a problem.

I have read numerous threads, people in concered about single cheat meals, but what about going days eating that same cheat meal, some even longer weeks, and month and the more you eat the hungrier you are. There are things that you can take like 5-htp and CoQ10. That help mentally, also I think that greatest is support amongst peers, you don't want to dissappoint other, so if have a craving, binge meal/day, write it down. I know that help, through this method I have suppstantially cut down.

AJ

Yes aj, i agree with you.. lets make this thread ( or atleast start a eating disorer support group thread, and make it a sticky ), i can easily put away 10 000 cals in junk food when i go on these bingees too, it sucks man i dunno any pills or anything that helps with it.. but i find talking about it helps the most!, and your kinda like me.. i can manage to go a week ( long enough to lose the extra weeight that i gain with those 10 000 cal days :P ) thne i lose it again.. well THIS TIME I WILL NOT GIVE IN TO MY CRAVING. cut diet.. all the way!

Jsut so you know that I am now on my first day of eating normal. THat is why I prefer eating Low Carb as when I have the urge to binge I try to eat carbs as being depleted, it is mostly water and glycogen weight that I put on. I have pigged out on high fat items but that was before on how much that usually sets me back.

Also that is what triggers it, sometime it happens after I have my post workout shake, sometimes it happens outta the blue. That is why I plan refeeds either once or twice a week. I also think that I am below my set point. So far every test that I have done I have tested under 10%, now I don't look under 10, but with the exception of the gut I am very low. I used to weigh quite a bit and before I know anything about nutrition I would make bad chioces on foods that I induldged on. Doing carbs, although sometimes quite big, it is all mainly carbs, mainly coming from oatmeal.

But today, I am on track. Ate actually really clean, a little under normal, but I am having stomach pangs fro the weekend. I am slowly going to eat raise cals to a little below maintence and focus on eating small meals but plenty of.

great job AJ, in an hour i will be in bed.. and i went today sticking totally to my planned meals :0 that makes it 2 full days in a row!, and i never even had ANY cravings today

Well I guess this support group consist of only us, lol, who cares it's working at least. I actually had 8 meals today. But all very small. Man just the thought of food makes me sick, physicially. But mentally I am still hungry. Oh well, I think that if I make it through the week I will get myself a treat of some sort, non food related.

Congrats on your progress as well. Keep it up. Remember, if you get the urge, type it down, and if you give in write it down as well, and think to yourself that others are going to be looking at this and you don't want to disappoint ME, yourself and everyone else. I know for me I would rather disappoint myself rather than others. That is why it helps writing it down.

BTW, where in Canada are you located. Im in London.
    Last edited by AJ_11; 10-07-2003 at 08:10 PM.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Heh, metabolism at its best
    Last edited by Ironman8; 10-07-2003 at 08:17 PM.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

great :)

Yeah.. we can be our own support group Who says we need 50 people :P we should be happy that its only the 2 of us that got this problem! the other board members are lucky.. or dun wanna admit that they are addicted to freaking FOOD :P

8 meals.. thats a lot :P i can not possibly do it that way.. but it sems to be working great for you im in university now and its hard enough to find time to prepare 6 meals.. my problem usually occurs when im bored and start thinking about food.. or when i get the taste of any food in my mouth i can sit there and eat that food ( oatmeal and tuna or egs or anything ) until im ready to pass out :P But ive got the last 2 days dun, been good to the diet ect ect

I also like your idea about riting it down instead of binging, and i also like the idea of treating yourself with non fod related items.. im going to buy myself a new pair of jeans ( a size too small ) and a shirt ( also a size to small ) this weekend, and im gonna keep on cutting so i can actually start to wear these items

Well, hope you have a great day man, we'll make it through this

P.S. IM in eastern canada, Newfoundland to be excact

Ya 8 to 10 meals to be exact. I usually wake up in the middle of the night to eat. I try to make each meal about 300-400 cals. Bigger meals tend to make me hungrier.

Hmm. Ya keeping busy is a huge aspect, and keeping your mind off of food. You know what might work in that case, think about something you despise say liver, and tell yourself that you are going to cook liver unless you stop thinking about it. And if you continue to think about it cook uip some liver. You won't enjoy it, but you are less likely to go out and indulge on a few other things.

bulking
    Try eating low GI carbs, they'll keep your stomach "more full" for a long time. Drinking lots of water will surpress your appetite too.

What also worked for me was when I was cutting, writing down everything you ate that day and try to get said amount of kcals at the end of that day.

jinxx, that is not really my ( our ) problem.. we do not eat because we are hungry.. we eat because mentally we just need to have sumthing in our mouth.. i could eat low gi carbs till the cows come home and i'd still keep stuffin my face with them until i threw up :P once we start to eat sumthing.. and let go, we CAN NOT stop eating it.. even through we keep telling outselfs that we should stop.. we CAN;T its weird.. and prolly sounds really stupid unless you have the problem yourself :\

Actually involving yourself in other activities may help.

According to some, bodybuilding is just an excuse for those with some form of ED. Id tend to disagree, i wouldnt class what you have as a major problem, its about changing your mindset. Like some of the others have said try other activities.

Work your way through the problem slowly, bit by bit you'll do it man. you have all our support.

I think about food quite a bit, but in saying that when on a training cycle i have to eat every 2-3 hours anyway, so its pretty hard to ignore it.

Food is good, use it to benefit your bodybuilding goals. Set a plan and stick to it. have the occassional treat but dont dwell on it.

Im just blagging now so i'll leave it there, good luck man
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Ya I think about food and what is my next meals and even plan on my food for the next day. That is not a problem just a infatuation. But when you litterally sit down to eat and do not stop for the next 4-5hrs, sometimes even rushing to the store to get more food that is the problem.

Ya and I agree with defcon, that it doesn't matter on the GI cause peanut butter is one of the lowest on the table. Try eating a whole KG and still think about food.

Oh and oatmeal, you know those nice 2 kg bags that you buy, I ate one of those in a couple of hours. Those are some of my experiences. Looking back at it today, I can't even imagine eating all of that, but at that time, you can't mentally control it. All I want to do is be alone and eat.

But to that extent I haven't had an urge to do that yet, even after my post workout shake. The real test is going to be next week when I refeed as I am cutting it down to only 2 meals post workout and then I am going to hit the sack (hopefully)