The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    The Big Wang

Six pack maintenance

I am 5'11". 2 years ago I weighed 215, three months ago I weighed 160. I decided to gain some muscle and now I weigh in at 170. I have been doing about 300 - 500 situps a day, everyday, 7 days a week for about a year and a half, non stop. I finally reached the point in which I have a six pack. I know everyone says that you shouldnt do situps everyday, but the more I do it, the more definition I see, the less I do it, the flabbier it gets. So I work it everyday. Well, now that I have a six pack, I was thinking I could reduce my situps by a lot. What do you guys recommend? I know proper dieting is key to a six pack and so my calorie intake is really low. What would you guys recommend for me to maintain my six pack?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What is your caloric intake? If its too low then your metabolism will basically shut down and all you'll end up putting on is muscle.

I believe that the abs are like any other muscle but that they might recover a bit faster. I train them twice a week with weights in the 6-8 rep range for roughly 6 sets.

If you've been doing abs that long, then they are there. You just need to put more muscle on them to get them to show. What does your diet look like?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

The Big Wang
    I wake up at about 10, go work out for an hour then come back to my dorm and eat a granola bar or some cereal, both high fiber. Then I don't eat anything till about 7 cause that's when my classes end. At that time I either eat a Subway sandwich, a hamburger, or a pizza. That's basically it. I'd say under 1000 calories a day.

What do you mean my metabolism will shut down? I'm pretty sure it already has...

My abs already to show... it's visible...
    Weight: 175
    Height: 5'11"
    Max Bench: 300 pounds
    Six pack: Yes

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=55173
    ^^Tis I.

Yea that is low, increase it a little more hehe.
    The body is pretty good about using what you give it, so if you increase it you won't get fat all of a sudden, so no need to worry about that.
    How much do you weigh? Do you lift weights just curious?

The Big Wang
    i weigh 170 pounds, 5'11"
    and yes I do lift weights...
    I do biceps, triceps mainly.. and a bit of chest..

Change up your ab training. Try implementing a new ab excersize each week. There's probably 3 dozen odd ways to train your abs, and as long as you focus on the contraction, you'll probably get good results from all of them. Try leg lifts, captain's chair, hanging leg lifts, torso turns, anything. I like holding a tricep rope behind my neck and doing ab crunches from my knees with the weighted resistance. Just keep hitting them with something different and they'll respond and probably look even better. However, like anyone will say, the real ab maintenance is at the dinner table.

Originally posted by abwowang
    i weigh 170 pounds, 5'11"
    and yes I do lift weights...
    I do biceps, triceps mainly.. and a bit of chest..
    So you don't REALLY train, you just want a six pack? I'd start to eat more healthy than you are right now, and I'd start to train.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

HahnB makes a good point. I know there are a lot of guys on here who don't even work their abs directly. They just lift weights and maintain a low bodyfat and they have ripped midsections. Other exercises do hit abs also is my point hehe. I'm not saying not to hit abs, but if you are gonna hit the abs might as well hit everything else.

Oh about the calories, I think you can go to 2500ish calories and be ok. Try it for a week, if you start to get fat just drop them to like 2000. I think 2500 or more would be ok though for a guy your size.

The Big Wang
    hahah
    ok
    so right now my workout routine consists of about 200 situps.. and triceps and biceps mainly and a bit of chest.. everyday.
    and i have a calorie intake of about 1000.
    u guys are mixing up what i'm trying to say!
    but yea.. thanks for the input..

2500 calories is way too much for me man.. imma get fat and lose my abs within days with that diet.. !
    Weight: 175
    Height: 5'11"
    Max Bench: 300 pounds
    Six pack: Yes

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=55173
    ^^Tis I.

Originally posted by abwowang
    2500 calories is way too much for me man.. imma get fat and lose my abs within days with that diet.. !
    You know why you'd put on fat?? Because you're starving your body and it'll put on what fat in needs in order to survive when it gets the chance. You're slowly killing your body. The only reason you have abs now is because you are anorexic. You have to eat. You might but on some weight initially but it'll come back off when your body's metabolism resets to a more healthy level and you get on a proper diet.

And you're not really training. Doing a bit of bi's, tri's and chest everyday doesn't count. What do you squat?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Originally posted by HomeYield
    Doing a bit of bi's, tri's and chest everyday doesn't count. What do you squat?
    LOL true words of wisdom there. That's going in the sig.

Anyways, you've really got a lot to learn about proper diet and training.

300 sit-ups every day and eating Pizza on a 1000 calorie intake? I suggest you read in the fitness and diet forums and you'll learn a thing or 2.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Ever seen those TV commercials for those starving kids in foreign countries with the flies crawling on the thier faces and stuff? They have GREAT abs...may want to ask what kind of training they do.

(Seriously: I'd suggest reading more on nutrition before you go any further)
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    Originally posted by Stray
    Ever seen those TV commercials for those starving kids in foreign countries with the flies crawling on the thier faces and stuff? They have GREAT abs...may want to ask what kind of training they do.

(Seriously: I'd suggest reading more on nutrition before you go any further)

LMAO!!!!
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

:withstupi

abwowang, dude you have no clue, you asked for advice, I recommend you take it

Gonadius Maximus
    Up cardio, lower number of sit-ups, try weighted incline sit-ups