Thread: best bed time meal after training and suggestions??

best bed time meal after training and suggestions??

hi people, i dont like cottage cheese no matter how many times i try it, what alternatives/suggestions can i use? i dnt want something HIGH in cals as my goal at the moment is to lose BF, but i am still doing my weights.
    "It's all about quality, not quantity. That's not to say that the other programs won't work. But you should learn first how to use intensity to it's fullest. You will encounter a lot of programs throughout the internet. None will be productive if you can't lift with the proper intensity." - Maki

Re: best bed time meal after training and suggestions??

Originally posted by mstar
    hi people, i dont like cottage cheese no matter how many times i try it, what alternatives/suggestions can i use? i dnt want something HIGH in cals as my goal at the moment is to lose BF, but i am still doing my weights.
    Most any type of whole food protein would work just fine (chicken, tuna, steak, etc.).

you could also look into specifically designed nightime protein formulas.

I have only tried one, so I dont claim to know much on the subject, but the guys I got it from seem to know their stuff...... proteinfactory.com

I have no affiliation with the site other than being a satisfied customer and another proud new jerseyan

thanks guys i have considered and used Designer Whey GlycerLEAN which is time release protien but at 46 POUNDS (UK) its tooooooo expensive. i want to keep cals/carbs low and fat s i am going to sleep also when should i have this meal? 1 hr before i hit my pillow? 2?
    Last edited by mstar; 10-09-2003 at 03:00 AM.
    "It's all about quality, not quantity. That's not to say that the other programs won't work. But you should learn first how to use intensity to it's fullest. You will encounter a lot of programs throughout the internet. None will be productive if you can't lift with the proper intensity." - Maki

thanks guys i have considered and used Designer Whey GlycerLEAN which is time release protien but at 46 POUNDS (UK) its tooooooo expensive. i want to keep cals/carbs low and fat s i am going to sleep also when should i have this meal? 1 hr before i hit my pillow? 2?
    There would be no need to keep fat low before bed, and fat would help to further slow the digestion of the protein.

I would just have the meal about an hour or so before bed, or you could eat it immediately before bed. Really it is not going to make that much of a difference.

surely bradley not immediatly before bed?? doesn't digestion slow down while you sleep? and i just had a can of tuna that would be bad??

Re: Re: best bed time meal after training and suggestions??

Originally posted by bradley

Most any type of whole food protein would work just fine (chicken, tuna, steak, etc.).

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

surely bradley not immediatly before bed?? doesn't digestion slow down while you sleep? and i just had a can of tuna that would be bad??
    Tuna would work just fine, but there is no need to avoid fat before bed. You want to take in something that will provide a source of aminos while you sleep. Tuna is slow digesting but if you were to add a little fat it would slow digestion further, which would not be a bad thing. Remember your body will be going an extended time without food, so it is better to provide it with nutritents, so as it does not go looking elsewhere, i.e. muscle tissue.

Digestion would slow to some degree, but it is not going to stop. The meal would still be digested and absorbed eventually, but how long this will take will depend on various factors (meal compostion, size, etc.).

anyone have a favorite way to take their natty peanut butter? I've gotten a little tired of choking down the tablespoons of it.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6

Get Big!!!
    Originally posted by theomen
    anyone have a favorite way to take their natty peanut butter? I've gotten a little tired of choking down the tablespoons of it.
    I stir it into my oatmeal in the morning. Tastes good and I don't have to add sugar.

It wasn't too OT, as natty PB is a popular bedtime snack.

Here's a bedtime snack I ame up with recently;
    Protein Waffle and Natty PB
    Mix up a low cal protein powder with some fake egg, water, little olive oil and a little baking powder, cook in waffle iron and top with 2tb of natty pb. Pretty tasty, and all protein and monounsat fat.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6

folks, what if i add dry oatmeal into my whey with skim milk, as a bedtime shake? the oatmeal would further slow digestion of the whey?

(my goal is lose BF)
    Last edited by mstar; 10-23-2003 at 07:15 AM.

folks, what if i add dry oatmeal into my whey with skim milk, as a bedtime shake? the oatmeal would further slow digestion of the whey?

(my goal is lose BF)
    That would work fine, or you could add in some fat such as natural peanut butter.

thanks bradley

btw in alabama, when its that hot, how can u train???? without feeling tired ???

i usually eat yogurt before bed, i think the protein is casein mostly. also i find it easier to eat peanuts instead of peanut butter.

mstar I have a shake which is a blend of caesin, whey and egg protein which you can get from holland and barrett in the UK reasonably inexpensively:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.co.uk/labels/002131HB.pdf

Casein is key. Take Whey Protein during the day and Casein Protein at night in a slightly larger dose w/a bit of extra water. its key.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

btw in alabama, when its that hot, how can u train???? without feeling tired ???
    Air conditioning

Originally posted by AllUp
    Casein is key. Take Whey Protein during the day and Casein Protein at night in a slightly larger dose w/a bit of extra water. its key.
    There would not be much difference in mixing whey with milk and using casein protein, since milk is a combination of whey and casein, although you would avoid the sugar contained in the milk.
    Last edited by bradley; 10-23-2003 at 01:06 PM.

whey with skim milk or semi-skimmed OR FULL FAT does it make a difference? as i only use skimmed milk

whey with skim milk or semi-skimmed OR FULL FAT does it make a difference? as i only use skimmed milk
    I would use skim milk, since milk fat does not really contribute any nutritional benefits.

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    I feel eggs are 1 of the better choices for a pre bed meal, high in fat and also the 2nd best natural amino acid source.
    Eggs and nuts does me fine, post workout i have to stick to tuna and a banana since i cannot cope with any lactose.
    Whey isolate isnt worth the risk i dont think, i bloated on yoghurts which are 'almost' lactose free.
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!