Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: This kid killed my mind

  1. #1
    Personal Jesus EdgeCrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    712

    This kid killed my mind

    We were talking about religion and he said he was catholic and asked my religion. I told him atheist (more or less) and then he wanted to tell me how he knew there was a God.

    Kid: "Dude, I was kayaaking and I saw some crazy ****."
    Me: "Like what?"
    Kid: "Like these huge pastures, grassy fields, and these weird rocks."
    Me: "I'm missing your point."
    Kid: "You are missing something. You should've been a boy scout, then it all would've made sense."

    ...

    What?

    I also brought up some political stuff and when I referred to something Michael Moore did, he interrupted me and said: "Who are these people? Where are you from?" I told him "Maryland" and then he told me I was an odd kid.

    He then called me a "fag" for being Vegan and not drinking alcohol.

  2. #2
    Overtrainer.
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    766
    I don't get it but props for being vegan and not drinking alcohol.
    I don't drink alcohol....I am considering vegatarianism. Definitely eating less meat and more vegetables, cereals etc.

  3. #3
    Personal Jesus EdgeCrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    712
    Originally posted by WestyHeadbanger
    I don't get it but props for being vegan and not drinking alcohol.
    I don't drink alcohol....I am considering vegatarianism. Definitely eating less meat and more vegetables, cereals etc.
    That's pretty cool. The whole story made no sense to me either. There was no linear reasoning behind anything he said and *he* got offended/mean when I didn't agree with him.

  4. #4
    The English Teacher steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    So. Cal
    Posts
    1,409
    I was a Boy Scout and I think what he meant was that nature is so beautiful that it's proff of a God creating such beauty or that nature it self is a God like beauty.

    I'm not saying this beacuse I was a boy scout. I just love nature so much that it made sense to me even though I'm bordered on atheist.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

    Motivate a fatty here.

  5. #5
    Personal Jesus EdgeCrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    712
    Originally posted by steveo
    I was a Boy Scout and I think what he meant was that nature is so beautiful that it's proff of a God creating such beauty or that nature it self is a God like beauty.

    I'm not saying this beacuse I was a boy scout. I just love nature so much that it made sense to me even though I'm bordered on atheist.
    Oh, I got that some people think that beautiful things are an argument for an ordered grace, but there is no scientific or formal reasoning to back up what *he* said.

  6. #6
    The English Teacher steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    So. Cal
    Posts
    1,409
    I see it. It's like when I explain to people when we go to the mountains:

    "Can you smell that?"
    -"what ?"
    "The air"

    they look at me like i'm wierd but I love the smell of nature and I love the sight of it more than I can explain.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

    Motivate a fatty here.

  7. #7
    Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    1,034
    it sounds like the boy was an idiot
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

    Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

    current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000
    occupation:MCB major @ uc berkeley

  8. #8
    MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    FFFA Headquarters
    Posts
    11,468
    EC, are you sXe?
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

    "All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

    "Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

    Pearls of Wisdom...


    Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

    Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

    And no COLON jokes, bastards!

  9. #9
    Hmmmm..... Spiderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Near the bay...
    Posts
    0
    Originally posted by EdgeCrusher


    Oh, I got that some people think that beautiful things are an argument for an ordered grace, but there is no scientific or formal reasoning to back up what *he* said.

    Just a simple question....why must there be any scientific or formal reasoning to back up what someone says or believes in? If you're saying there is, then there MUST be a formal reason why you are an atheist (humanist), right? Example: If you've ever HOPED for something to happen...get a good grade in a class... a hot chick says yes she'll go out with you or any number of possibilities, that means you have "Faith" and faith my friend can't be scientifically explained. I think we all know what that would then make you.... please explain yourself a little more.

    "Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

  10. #10
    Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    1,034
    Originally posted by Spiderman



    Just a simple question....why must there be any scientific or formal reasoning to back up what someone says or believes in? If you're saying there is, then there MUST be a formal reason why you are an atheist (humanist), right? Example: If you've ever HOPED for something to happen...get a good grade in a class... a hot chick says yes she'll go out with you or any number of possibilities, that means you have "Faith" and faith my friend can't be scientifically explained. I think we all know what that would then make you.... please explain yourself a little more.
    true dat, most "scientific" discoveries, and i mean, the biggest ones as well, were accidental and discovered nonscientifically. penicillin, gunpowder, and vulcanized rubber are some examples in which luck played a huge role.
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

    Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

    current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000
    occupation:MCB major @ uc berkeley

  11. #11
    Personal Jesus EdgeCrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    712
    Gyno - Under some definitions, yes.

    Spider - I try to keep my "beliefs" of anything to strictly those where there is a reason I can point to to think so. If you see me making leaps of faith, please let me know because I'd like to correct myself if I do. Faith I will get a good grade? No, I know I will do well when I work hard and I know I won't when I don't. Faith a hot chick will go out with me? Most of the time you aren't randomly asking people out (or at least I don't), so there is generally an indication a person actually likes you before one out ask them out. There's a difference between faith devoid of all reason and science and expecting something to happen because of something to back it up.

    If I thought I was going to take a shower (I just got up), you could say you had faith I would (because it's not definite), but it's certainly a different type of faith than if I said I was sure there's an invisible dragon (you've read/heard the story of the invisible dragon by Carl Sagan?) that can't be proven by any means in my room and one day he'll give me a ride to dragonland if I keep thinking he exists.

  12. #12
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Beer is vegan!

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  13. #13
    "COUNT CRACKULA" Bam Bam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    2,813
    if eating cows for breakfast makes you vegan count me in
    Blocka Blocka

    I am AMINAL

  14. #14
    Hmmmm..... Spiderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Near the bay...
    Posts
    0
    Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
    Gyno - Under some definitions, yes.

    Spider - I try to keep my "beliefs" of anything to strictly those where there is a reason I can point to to think so. If you see me making leaps of faith, please let me know because I'd like to correct myself if I do. Faith I will get a good grade? No, I know I will do well when I work hard and I know I won't when I don't. Faith a hot chick will go out with me? Most of the time you aren't randomly asking people out (or at least I don't), so there is generally an indication a person actually likes you before one out ask them out. There's a difference between faith devoid of all reason and science and expecting something to happen because of something to back it up.

    If I thought I was going to take a shower (I just got up), you could say you had faith I would (because it's not definite), but it's certainly a different type of faith than if I said I was sure there's an invisible dragon (you've read/heard the story of the invisible dragon by Carl Sagan?) that can't be proven by any means in my room and one day he'll give me a ride to dragonland if I keep thinking he exists.

    So, it seems as if you're saying you're always 100% sure on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in your life. You are never unsure or unclear on anything....its all cut and dry. I find it hard to believe you've never hoped for anything to happen at all in your life. If you tell its like that..sorry..the word "hypocrite" comes to mind. Hell, I've been one, we've all been a hypocrite at some point in our lives... I honestly think there has been a time where you "wished" or "hoped" for something to HAPPEN...not that you'll take a shower...(I don't know you so I don't really care about that example) or that some imaginary dragon will take you off to Dragonworld. (am I the ONLY person who's not heard of this??) There is no Type of faith my friend...faith is faith is faith...just like back when Ford first started making cars..they told you you could have any color you wanted, as long as it was Black. You could HOPE for another color (i.e. type) but it wasn't gonna happen. Just like faith man..you may THINK there are differing types, but I"m sure if you look the word up in the dictionary you won't find the word faith with little superscript numbers to denote TYPES of it. Oh, btw, your goals in your signature..how can you be certain you'll hit 175 x 8 by that time? Do you have faith you will? What happens when you work hard to achieve that goal, and bust your @ss in the gym, but you fail come that time. Did'nt that whole time you were lifting you have hope that you'd get to that goal? One suggestion for ya...try adding something called "meat." It generally comes from a cow, or chicken..but its been proven to help. Its the NEWEST supplement bro!

    "Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

  15. #15
    Banned Reinier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    south west Holland Europe
    Posts
    8,842
    Reasoning fails without any belief. you need some ground to start on, something you believe in without proof. or you know nothing.

    this kid was an idiot.

  16. #16
    Personal Jesus EdgeCrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    712
    Originally posted by Spiderman



    So, it seems as if you're saying you're always 100% sure on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in your life. You are never unsure or unclear on anything....its all cut and dry. I find it hard to believe you've never hoped for anything to happen at all in your life. If you tell its like that..sorry..the word "hypocrite" comes to mind. Hell, I've been one, we've all been a hypocrite at some point in our lives... I honestly think there has been a time where you "wished" or "hoped" for something to HAPPEN...not that you'll take a shower...(I don't know you so I don't really care about that example) or that some imaginary dragon will take you off to Dragonworld. (am I the ONLY person who's not heard of this??) There is no Type of faith my friend...faith is faith is faith...just like back when Ford first started making cars..they told you you could have any color you wanted, as long as it was Black. You could HOPE for another color (i.e. type) but it wasn't gonna happen. Just like faith man..you may THINK there are differing types, but I"m sure if you look the word up in the dictionary you won't find the word faith with little superscript numbers to denote TYPES of it. Oh, btw, your goals in your signature..how can you be certain you'll hit 175 x 8 by that time? Do you have faith you will? What happens when you work hard to achieve that goal, and bust your @ss in the gym, but you fail come that time. Did'nt that whole time you were lifting you have hope that you'd get to that goal? One suggestion for ya...try adding something called "meat." It generally comes from a cow, or chicken..but its been proven to help. Its the NEWEST supplement bro!
    Thanks for the rant.

  17. #17
    Player Hater PowerManDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    7,850
    Originally posted by Spiderman
    Just a simple question....why must there be any scientific or formal reasoning to back up what someone says or believes in?
    Because otherwise its called "pulling things out of your ass."

    The definition of faith: "Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing."

    That says nothing of its validity; only that the belief is present due to whatever reason. Does this mean that faith is invalid? That depends on your particular school of thought. But its also pointless to argue over why any reasoned argument should be rejected over individual belief. That's not even a legitimate comparison.

    However, if you wish to assert anything as a truth, that becomes a different matter. Truth requires logical reasoning and empirical validity. I could have all the faith in the world that the sky is red, but that doesn't make it true. It also leaves the door wide open for someone with a logically and empirically consistent argument to come along and completely shatter my worldview.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

    Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

    ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

    Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

    galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

    assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

  18. #18
    MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    FFFA Headquarters
    Posts
    11,468
    UR ALL DUM LOL!!!!!111!!!11111!!!1!!
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

    "All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

    "Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

    Pearls of Wisdom...


    Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

    Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

    And no COLON jokes, bastards!

  19. #19
    Hungry BCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1
    lol
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."


    In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

  20. #20
    Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,202
    Dude... Ignore the kid he's a idiot, a dumbass and so on.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

  21. #21
    Cardio bunny Alex.V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Duke
    Posts
    41
    Originally posted by EdgeCrusher


    Thanks for the rant.
    OMG LOL WTF!!!!!11!11!
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •