The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-07-2003 at 08:06 AM.

Friday 23/11/03

Sleep: 8.5 hours
    • Workout:

Friday - Shoulders/Legs

Damn. I feel like im cheating by not doing legs... I cant wait until I get those soles and back to the leg room. Anyway, it just means I have to do extra effort on my shoulders .

Smith Shoulder Press (new): 15x20kg, 10x30kg, 10x30kg
      Shoulder Press: 10x30kg, 10x35kg*, 8x37.5*, 8x40kg* ( Shoulders on FIRE! )
      Dumbbell Front Raise: 12x10kg, 12x10kg, 10x10kg.
      Lateral Raise: 12x10kg, 10x10kg, 8x10kg

Shrugs: 15x5(bars), 12x7, 12x7, 10x7

* - Sets marked with a red asterix are Personal Bests (gains).
      SS - supersetted.

All my main lifts are going up now, im quite happy!
    • Diet:

Mostly Clean. Approx 3000kcal. I was naughty today and ate a cookie at lunch time, I couldnt resist it sitting there in the bakery shop looking all innocent. Damn those things.
    • Blah:

I went shopping again after the workout to get some beef steak, strawberries, and some other crap in the supermarket. Got home, cooked the steak, and damn it was awful . The one I had last week was so much nicer - this one tasted fake, and the amount of water that came out of it when I fried it! Doesnt compare at all to French steak... that stuff is beautiful. The fresh grain bread I had with it was nice though.

For some off reason over the past few days im coming out in spots. I think it may be due to the fact i'm gaining now in strength and size - the testosterone is said to trigger the sebum glands that secrete oil causing acne. Its freaking annoying, I hope my new antibiotics start to kick in some time about NOW. Gotta go party next week in Southend, cant be having zits then, no no no. Quite ironically, my mum phoned up just as I was asessing my zit casaulty in the mirror, saying she had seen this new acne treatment called "NLite". It's a skin laser treatment, she said it's supposed to clear your spots and works wonders with no side effects. Obviously I was slightly skeptical and asked her to send the article in the post. I think ill look into this further (it costs £75 for one area, £350 for the whole face), and if its a one off payment and the results are permanent I may well give it a go.

Hopefully my soles arrive on Monday and I can start wearing them.

Anyway its friday, i'm off to relax, lata.
    Last edited by Exnor; 11-27-2003 at 07:37 AM.

Monday 24/11/03

Sleep: 8 hours

• Workout:

Weighed in at 72kg [no change from last week]

Goal is 75kg at roughly my current bodyfat (~12%) by New Year.

Monday - Chest/Tris

Dips: 15xBW, 10xBW, 10xBW
      Flat Bench Press: 15xbar warmup, 10x40kg, 8x50kg*, 12x45kg
      Incline Bench Press(machine): 10x40kg, 8x40kg, 8x30kg
      Incline Dumbbell Flys: 10x20kg*, 10x20kg
      Cable Flys: 10x3bars, 10x3bars

Tricep Pushdown: 11x45kg*, 8x45kg, 9x40kg

SS - supersetted.
    • Diet:

Good. Unsure of my cals today, I think about 2900-3000. I need to alter my diet to include more protein in the mornings I think.
    • Blah:

Although my lifts went up I felt like crap all through today. No idea why. The antibiotics im taking shouldnt be giving me sides... anyway, just about managed to drink the entire protein shake before going shopping for some chicken and stuff...

Went to bed early today. Felt much better in the morning, DOMS right where they should be, chest & tris.
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-02-2003 at 06:07 AM.

Wednesday 26/11/03

• Workout:

I am now bringing in a notepad with me to track my progress more accurately.

Wednesday - Back/Bis

6.30pm

Chins: 6xBW*, 5xBW, 5xBW
      Lat pull wide: 9x8, 6x10*, 8x9
      Seated Rows: 14x7, 8x9, 9x9*, 7x8
      Narrow Seated Back: 9x9, 9x10*, 8x9

EZ BB Curl: 4x28kg*, 6x25.5 (cheated last rep), 7x23
      DB Hammer Curl: 20x8kg*, 15x8, 12x8 SS 10x5

SS - supersetted.
    • Diet:

Quite Good. Ate 2 WW rolls with Caprice de Dieux cheese, which is quite high in fat, so a semi-cheat meal. Damn though it tasted good.

I think i got in around 3500 cals today.
    • Blah:

Arms are gaining in strength, im quite happy with my curl PB - now got 10kg plates on each side, it actually LOOKS like im lifting a bit of weight now . I think back needs a little work strength wise, however I am still making some nice progress.

Went to bed a little later than usual but still on time, was extremely diffiult to get out of bed the next morning though. No DOMS in the morning, however I felt them later on during the next day in both my back & bis.
    Last edited by Exnor; 11-27-2003 at 08:39 AM.

Friday 28/11/03

• Workout:

Friday - Shoulders/Legs

Again, a shoulders only workout due to the aformentioned.

Smith Shoulder Press: 15x20kg, 10x30kg, 10x30kg
      Shoulder Press: 10x28.5kg, 7x40kg, 5x40kg, 8x30
      Dumbbell Front Raise: 12x10kg, 11x10kg, 9x10kg.
      Lateral Raise: 12x10kg, 11x10kg, 10x10kg

Shrugs: 15x5(bars), 13x7, 11x9*, 10x10*

SS - supersetted.
    • Diet:

Good. 3k or more clean cals today.
    • Blah:

The workout was ok. The only gains this week were on shrugs, not sure as to why lifts didn't go up. Next week, double the effort!

Went to Southend-on-sea to see my dutch mate over the weekend, went out partying etc.
      My cals were criminally low, this dude doesnt eat much, and he has something against carbohydrates. I felt kinda awkward saying "yes" to every offer of food he gave me simply so I could try to get my cals in. Anyway, the partying was very good, kept to around 4-5 beers and had a great time. Essex girls indeed live up to their reputation .

Thinking of buying a laptop to do my website work on the train and stuff, getting jobs done faster. They are so expensive though, damn.

Anyway, its Monday (chest and tris), gonna up the weight on my bench. w00t. Back to work.

Re: Friday 23/11/03

Originally posted by Exnor
    For some off reason over the past few days im coming out in spots. I think it may be due to the fact i'm gaining now in strength and size - the testosterone is said to trigger the sebum glands that secrete oil causing acne. Its freaking annoying, I hope my new antibiotics start to kick in some time about NOW
    Nice workouts, especially on back and biceps day, with PBs on every exercise.

I agree that the acne is likely to be closely related to hormones. However, I think that these hormones would be much more related to your younger age than the relatively small increase in testosterone during and for a few minutes after your workout.

My last 3 computers have all been laptops. I think they are great for travel, as well as for comfortably posting at home while sitting on a couch or easychair.

Monday 01/12/03

aka23: Thanks. I think you could be right about the hormones relating to age, although I am 20 and it seems most peoples hormones seem to be settled by this time. After that 'breakout' I had earlier in the week, it soon cleared up and has now almost settled again. I shall have to somehow identify what the cause of it is.

I agree about the usefulness of laptops, however when out of the house I would have to stick to more typing based computer activities, like programming, rather than the web graphics that I often do in photoshop that would require accurate mouse movement.

• Workout:

Weighed in at 73kg [up 1 kg]

Monday - Chest/Tris

Flat Bench Press: 15xbar warmup, 10x40kg, 6x55kg*, 8x50kg, 10x40
      Incline Bench Press(machine): 9x40kg, 6x40kg, 10x20kg
      Cable Flys: 5x3bars, 6x5bars, 10x4
      Incline Dumbbell Flys: 10x16, 9x20

Tricep Pushdown: 12x45kg*, 8x45kg, 8x40kg SS 6x30

SS - supersetted.
    • Diet:

Good. Approx 3k cals. Changed my lunchtime meat to turkey instead of chicken, just for a change. It seems to taste better and I understand has slighty superior nutritional value to chicken.
      The damn supermarket were out of strawberries so I had to buy grapes instead.
    • Blah:

I'm happy about my weight gain this week, im on track for my goal. Hopefully the weight measurement was accurate, as the digital scales seemed to be a bit tempramental. I had to restart it to get any reading at all.

My bench is almost at the level of my previous PB (60kg). I feel I may be able to attempt 60k next week. I feel I may have done a little too much on my chest today (2-3 more sets than usual), I shall have to see next week.

I got my insoles today for my feet, they feel fine and fit nicely into my work shoes. I am yet to try them in my workout shoes, I suspect they will be ok. The chiropodist said that positive changes should occur within the next month at which time I will have a follow up appointment to check that everything is good. I think I will wait another month before putting substantial amounts of weight on my legs, I shall in the mean time stick to leg extentions, leg curls, and calf raises.

It is my flat mates birthday is on Wednesday night, and him and my other flatmates and friends are going out at about 7pm. Normally, I finish work at around 5:30 then go straight to the gym, coming home usually at around 9:00 to 9:30pm. This means to attend his party I would have to skip my workout. It's one of those choices that you always have to make at some point - do you workout and miss the party or do you go to it and enjoy the company of your friends. I'm going to cheat and do both, I took Thursday off work and I shall workout during the daytime. I'll try to stick to my usual 3-4 bottles of beer max for the night.
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-02-2003 at 07:07 AM.

Thursday 4/12/03

Sleep: 9 hours

• Workout:

Doing Wednesdays workout on Thursday due to going out yesterday evening.

Thursday - Back/Bis

8:20pm

Chins: 9xBW*, 6xBW, 3xBW
      Lat pull wide: 6x9, 9x8, 9x8, 10x7
      Seated Rows: 11x9*, 9x9, 11x8
      Narrow Seated Back: 10x9, 11x10*, 10x9

EZ BB Curl: 4x28kg, 8x25.5, 6x23
      DB Hammer Curl: 12x8kg, 15x8 SS 15x5

SS - supersetted.
    • Diet:

Pretty crap. Ate well in the morning then went with mates to McDonalds before seeing a movie before going to the gym. Certainly got my cals in but not all clean.

I think i got in around 3500-4000 cals.
    • Blah:

I had to go to the gym late today because we saw a movie. I think this affected my strength and edurance, hence the lack of gains in the biceps department.

Shoulder/Leg day Tommorow, not sure how well its going to go a day after my back/bi day. We shall see.
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-05-2003 at 09:01 AM.

Good lookin workouts Exnor. About those dips....BWx15=time to add some weight
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

pruneman: Well, I usually do dips simply as a warmup excersize for chest/tris, I guess I could try it though.
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-05-2003 at 02:47 PM.

Friday 5/12/03

• Workout:

Friday - Shoulders/Legs

Smith Shoulder Press: 15x20kg (warmup)
      Shoulder Press: 10x40kg*, 5x40kg, 6x40 SS 5x30(pushed it hard!)
      Dumbbell Front Raise: 12x10kg, 10x10kg, 10x10kg.
      Lateral Raise: 10x10kg, 12x10kg, 12x10kg

Shrugs: 15x5(bars), 10x10, 10x9

Did some leg work today for the first time in 2 months, just some leg extensions and leg curls. Hammies have kept pretty string, front quads have lost some strength. As soon as I notice my insoles are making a difference ill start deadlifting/squatting again.

SS - supersetted.

• Diet:

Ok. I think about 2500-2800 cals today.

• Blah:

Shoulder press went very well, definitely gained strength.

I went shopping straight after my workout and bought some turkey and sauce, with some other necessities. I left the f*** bags on the bus. I was so pissed off. It was because I put them at the side of the bus in the baggage area because there was not much room to sit down. It was'nt the wasted money that annoyed me, it was the food that I was going to miss. As a result I had to eat a 6 egg omelette with some nearly stale WWBread.

I have a quite weekend this time with noone in the house, so im going to do lots of work on my current website (Prodigious Gaming) and get a large chunck of it done.

I spoke to my flatmate Steve, who is also doing an Internship course like me, but he is doing his in a computer shop. He suggested some laptops they had there, if I bought from him I would not have to pay VAT, meaning I could probably fetch a mid-range brand new laptop for around £700. I told him I was interested and will probably purchase one on Tuesday or Wednesday.

From this weeks gains i'm hoping when I weigh in on Monday to be around 73.4-73.8 kg [up .4-.8kg]. This would leave me with 1.2 to 1.6 to gain until new year.
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-07-2003 at 08:37 AM.

08/12/03

Sleep: 7 hours

• Workout:

Weighed in at 73.2kg [up 0.2 kg] (the digital scales could not decide between .2 and .3, so i'll put down the lowest value)

Monday - Chest/Tris

Flat Bench Press: 15xbar warmup, 10x40kg, 3.5x60kg*, 4.5x55kg, 10x45
      Incline Bench Press(machine): 8.5x40kg, 7x40kg, 8x35kg
      Cable Flys: 7x3bars, 10x4
      Incline Dumbbell Flys: 12x20kg*, 10x20kg

Close Grip Smith Press(new): 20x20kg, 6x30kg*, 5x30kg
      Tricep Pushdown: 9x40kg, 3x45kg SS 3x40kg, 5x45

SS - supersetted.

• Diet:

Ok. Around 3500cals. Ate 4 White rolls (they didnt have any WW ones left) with Caprice de Dieux cheese at lunch time. I had turkey and brown rice for meal 6, and made some as usual for tue and wed lunchtime.

• Blah:

My weight is slightly below what I expected it to be, but it is a gain none-the-less. Next week I hope to be much closer to 74kg in order to be on track for my goal.

My flat mate brought back some laptop prices from his work so I could have a look at the specs and one of them was clearly best for price/value. Its an Acer Aspire 1356LMi, and would cost me £760.

Here are the specs:

• Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP processor 2800+
      • 15" XGA TFT display
      • 512MB DDR (2x256)
      • 40GB HDD
      • DVD-RW / CD-RW / DVD Combo
      • 64MB Shared Graphics
      • Wired LAN 10/100
      • Internal 56K modem
      • Li-lon battery (Up to 3 hours usage)
      • Windows® XP Home
      • Norton Anti-Virus 2003
      • Cyberlink Power DVD
      • NTI CD-Maker

This seems to be a good deal so I told Steve i'd buy it - he said he would have to check how many were in etc. Ill phone him at work tommorow.
      The problem is, my funds for it are all in my savings account, of which has a fixed limit of £3000, so money I take out I cannot put back until the new tax year (April 2004). I have another savings account, but I have to send away for the money to scotland, which will take a fair amount of time. The second option is to wait until I am paid and use that money - I get paid on the 20th of each month. A third, not so nice option, would be to take the money out of my current account, and make use of my interest free overdraft. I will wait until I know how many are left in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Exnor
    This seems to be a good deal so I told Steve i'd buy it - he said he would have to check how many were in etc. Ill phone him at work tommorow.
    The problem is, my funds for it are all in my savings account, of which has a fixed limit of £3000, so money I take out I cannot put back until the new tax year (April 2004). I have another savings account, but I have to send away for the money to scotland, which will take a fair amount of time. The second option is to wait until I am paid and use that money - I get paid on the 20th of each month. A third, not so nice option, would be to take the money out of my current account, and make use of my interest free overdraft. I will wait until I know how many are left in stock.
    The laptop looks very nice. The 15" screen and powerful processor will really make a difference. 3 hours of battery life sounds a bit short, but you could always get a second battery. It sounds like finances are handled differently in the United States. If I were in your situation, I would purchase the computer on a credit card. I would pay off the credit card immediately after receiving my paycheck, so I would not pay any interest or late fees.
    Last edited by aka23; 12-09-2003 at 09:25 AM.

Aka23: I spoke with my mother a couple of days ago and she brought that credit card option to attention. I believe your/her suggestion to be the best option. The reason I would prefer it now rather than next month is that Steve will only have a limited number in stock, and he will only get a restock in 1-2 months time. I would really like to get working on my website during all the hours I am idle while travelling and meet my completion deadline of February.

However, after looking at some other laptops in shops I am still not 100% decided on this make/model as I have been warned it might be quite bulky/cumbersome to have on a bus or train compared to some, less powerful, more 'slimline' models that would be better suited to portability.
    Silly I know, but I assumed, being called a 'lap - top', that it would be automatically suited to portability being used in environments other than an office or study.

To address this, I am going to go to town on Saturday and have a look at an Acer Aspire model first hand, and see if it suits my needs. I believe I can pick any Acer Aspire model as a test because I have been told all the chassis/cases will be identical. I am hoping it will suit my needs as it would save added hassle and the laptop seems like a bargain.

• Workout:

I felt slightly wierd/uneasy when I entered the gym today, mostly in my gut. Not sure why, but it wore off as soon as I started working out.

Wednesday - Back/Bis

7:00pm

Chins: 9xBW, 5xBW, 4xBW (using a wider grip than usual - this seemed to allow me to flex my lats as I executed the exercise.
      Lat pull wide: 20x7 (warmup), 10x9, 9x8, 9x8 (the first 3 sets I did on a different machine than usual, as the one I usually use was occupied by 3 people supersetting)
      Lat pull close (new): 15x8, 8x8 (thought id try these, its what the people on my usual machine were doing).
      Seated Rows: 14x8, 9x10*, 8x9 SS 12x7
      Narrow Seated Back: 11x10, 11x9, 10x8

EZ BB Curl: 6x28kg*, 7x25.5, 5x23
      DB Hammer Curl: 10x8kg, 15x8 SS 12x5 (arms seemed wasted here)

SS - supersetted.

• Diet:

Good. Approx 3000 cals.

• Blah:

I am quite happy with todays workout, my chins felt more solid and I gained on my rows & curls. I am esspecially happy with the BB Curl - squeezed out another 2 reps here at my max weight.

However, my bicep routine was not as quick as it should have been - While lifting I noticed an african man who came and sat at a shoulder press machine next to me. I could not help but notice his wrists; they were remarkably small, I would estimate around 4.5 inches. He also had a very skinny frame.

Anyway, I got on with my workout. After my first set, I needed to take off the 10kg plates and add 8.75 on each side. I started looking for the plates dotted around the gym as usual, coming back to my bar to place them. The african man asked me in a thick accent how much I had on the bar (I had not finished loading it yet), and after a quick calculation, I replied, and continued to find weights. The dude walked over to my bar, and started performing a set. This pissed me off slightly as he did not ask me and clearly saw I was working on it, mabye he was trying to prove something. Anyway, after finishing his rather quick set on failure, using his whole body to get the weight up for each rep, he said to me that this was his first time at the gym.

He sat back over on the shoulder press machine and asked me if the machine was "good". I replied with "Yes, it works your shoulders..." and continued my workout. Around 6-7 minutes passed as I looked for the plates I needed and waited for this guy before even starting my second set. The guy could not stop looking at me in between sets, it was distracting, as I intentionally avoided looking at him. I think this overly long rest period and distraction affected my second and final set for curls.

When I finished with the bar the guy started using it. As I finished my first set of hammers, he immediately came over and asked me if I was using the weights I had just put down that were lying in front of me. I said yes in a not so friendly voice and continued to avoid looking at him. He picked up some DBs next to me and started doing some form of hammer curls, cheating every rep and some how making the movement look quite stupid.

Anyway, that was my exiting bicep exercize. I hope I do not meet this etheopian looking dude again.
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-12-2003 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exnor
    Aka23: I spoke with my mother a couple of days ago and she brought that credit card option to attention. I believe your/her suggestion to be the best option. The reason I would prefer it now rather than next month is that Steve will only have a limited number in stock, and he will only get a restock in 1-2 months time. I would really like to get working on my website during all the hours I am idle while travelling and meet my completion deadline of February.

However, after looking at some other laptops in shops I am still not 100% decided on this make/model as I have been warned it might be quite bulky/cumbersome to have on a bus or train compared to some, less powerful, more 'slimline' models that would be better suited to portability.
    Silly I know, but I assumed, being called a 'lap - top', that it would be automatically suited to portability being used in environments other than an office or study.

To address this, I am going to go to town on Saturday and have a look at an Acer Aspire model first hand, and see if it suits my needs. I believe I can pick any Acer Aspire model as a test because I have been told all the chassis/cases will be identical. I am hoping it will suit my needs as it would save added hassle and the laptop seems like a bargain.[/list]
    Looking at the laptops in person is a good way to evaluate them before a purchase. When buying my laptops, I also found it helpful to compare data at review websites. Some good ones are www.cnet.com , www.pcworld.com , www.pcmag.com , and www.consumersearch.com . I hope you find what you are looking for.

Aka23: Thanks for your help.

• Workout:

Friday - Shoulders/Legs

Smith Shoulder Press: (warmup) 15x20kg, 15x30*
      Shoulder Press: 10x40kg, 5x45kg*, 7x40 SS 4x30
      Dumbbell Front Raise: 14x10kg*, 9x10kg, 8x10kg.
      Lateral Raise: 12x10kg, 10x10kg, 12x10kg

Shrugs: 15x40kg, 16x80kg, 6x100kg*

Did a warmup today on the leg press before doing some leg extensions, leg curls, and calve raises.

SS - supersetted.

• Diet:

Okish. Ate 2 small packets of maltesers as I have had a craving for them in the last 2 weeks. I think I got in around 2500-2800 cals today.

• Blah:

All my main lifts went up and I got a good pump. I got doms in my hamstrings and very slight doms in my shoulders the following day.

On Saturday I went to a laptop shop and had a look at the Acer Aspire laptop that I am musing over getting. The laptop was smaller than I expected, but still not very slimline. I think it will do the job, and when I got home I gave the OK to Steve. Hopefully I will have the laptop by Wednesday.

Paul, a friend from Holland, came down the weekend. We were able to discuss many things, including our trip to California next year as well as our plans to start up a web consultants company. We went out clubbing on Saturday night, and it was quite good. I got quite a lot of amusement from watching crazy people dance.

I am very much hoping my weight has gone up for my weigh in on Monday, although I feel it will not have for some reason. I think this weeks diet has been lacking calories. I will try to make up for this by eating loads more this week!

My skin is particularily bad at the moment. I dont know why, but I am getting more and more irritated with it as time goes on. The antibiotics I am on do not seem to be doing much even after 2 months, and my patience for them is wearing thinner with each new spot. I do not really have spots on the front of my face, they are mainly down the sides of my neck, which do not look very appealing from a profile view. The problem mainly comes with the eczema I have in various spots on my face and neck. Mainly eyelids, around the mouth, and all sides of the neck. Most of the time its not there, but it can flare up from time to time and its not very nice. I have booked a doctors appointment for Tuesday where I hope to get a referal to a dermotologist. I am hoping this skin specialist can then give me the treatment I need to fully control my acne in combination with my eczema.

Last edited by Exnor; 12-15-2003 at 04:45 AM.

Monday 15/12/03

• Workout:

Weighed in at 73kg [down 0.2 kg]

This was kind of expected. My calories for the last week had been far too low. I will make up for it this week.

In order to reach my goal I have to gain 0.875 kg per week. I will not be able to meet this goal, unless I put on a quantity of fat too. I will adjust my goal accordingly:

Goal is 74kg at roughly my current bodyfat (~12%) by New Year.

Monday - Chest/Tris

Flat Bench Press: warmup, 10x40kg, 3.5x60kg, 6x50kg, 10x45
      Incline Bench Press (barbell): 7x30kg, 9x30kg, 7x30kg SS 5x40* (I usually do these on a machine, but that was occupied.)
      Cable Flys: 10x4, 7x5*

Close Grip Smith Press: 3x30kg, 7x30kg*
      Tricep Pushdown: 6x40kg, 6x45kg, 4x45kg

SS - supersetted.

• Diet:

I don't think I made my calorie goal today, yet again, I did'nt eat my usual 5 oatcakes in the morning (I ran out) and did not have much food left in my lunchbox at work.

I think I shall begin logging the food I eat to get a more accurate calorie estimate, beggining Tuesday.

• Blah:

I am slightly dissapointed that I have not gained weight this week, which is probably the reason my bench press maximum has stayed the same. My other lifts have gone up slightly, including a PB on incline bench press, which I am very pleased about. I shall not text my maximum again for another month, and try to get 8 successful repetitions with 55+kg.

My laptop should be ordered on Tuesday, arriving Thursday or Friday.

I will have to perform my back and bicep workout on Thursday this week instead of Wednesday, due to my house mates cooking a large dinner that they did not want me to miss out on.
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-16-2003 at 06:52 AM.

Tuesday 16/12/03

• Workout:

Tuesday - Abs

Flat Bench Leg Raises: 20xBW, 20xBW
      Twisted Roman Chair Sit-Ups: 25xBW, 20xBW, 20xBW

• Diet:

I am now going to log food and suppliments eaten during the day.

Food:
      Meal1: Bowl of Kellogs Special K
      Meal2: 150g sardines, 5 oatcakes.
      Meal3: 1.5 Lean Turkey Steaks, 200g brown rice, handful of salad, 40g grapes, 1 apple, 1 kiwi, 2 mini bacon and cheese strips, 1 chicken drumstick, 1 small slice of kiesh, 1 small sausage roll, handful of salted penuts.
      Meal4: 1 mince pie, few mini salad sandwhiches, 2 chicken drumsticks, handful of salted penuts.
      Meal5: 6 Eggs (1 yolk, 5 whites), 2 Slices fresh granary bread, 1 mini naan bread (~50g)
      Meal6: 2 Slices WW Bread w/Brie, 1 banana, 1 satsuma

Suppliments & Medication:
      Tbl spoon Flax Seed Oil, Multi Vitamins (100% RDA), 2xAcidophilus Plus, 1x100mg Minocin MR.

• Blah:

Lots of fruit and sandwhiches were going free at work today, so I took advantage, as you can see . Suffice to say I had enough calories today.
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-17-2003 at 04:16 AM.

Wednesday 17/12/03

• Workout:

Wednesday - Rest

• Diet:

Food:
      Meal2: 150g sardines, 5 oatcakes, some penuts.
      Meal3: 1.5 Lean Turkey Steaks, 150g brown rice, handful of salad, some small salad and cheese sandwhiches.
      Meal4: skipped.
      Meal5: Large roast dinner.
      Meal6: skipped.

Estimated 3500 cals.

Tbl spoon Flax Seed Oil, 1x100mg Minocin MR.

• Blah:

Skipped meal 4 and 6 as I had a massive christmas roast dinner which im sure brought my calories up to the desired amount.
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-19-2003 at 04:01 AM.

Thursday 18/12/03

Sleep: 7.5 hours

• Workout:

I felt a bit crap going into the gym today yet again. I believe it is due to the antibiotics. I had not taken any digestive pills the previous day which might be a reason for this. I soon felt better when I started working out.

Wednesday - Back/Bis

7:00pm

Chins: 11xBW*, 6xBW, 4xBW
      Lat pull wide: 10x7 (warmup), 10x9, 6x10* SS 9x8
      Seated Row: 11x8, 6x10, 11x9
      Narrow Seated Back: 4x11*, 7x10, 8x9

EZ BB Curl: 8x28kg*, 5x25.5, 5x23
      DB Hammer Curl: 10x10kg, 12x10* SS 6x7.5, 14x7.5 SS 11x5

SS - supersetted.

• Diet:

Food:
      Meal2: 5 oatcakes
      Meal3: Went for the company christmas dinner
      Meal4: skipped.
      Meal5: Protein Shake.
      Meal6: 2 mini naan breads with 1 turkey breast, 1 bio yogurt.

Est. 3500 cals.

• Blah:

Most my lifts went up quite significantly this week, I certainly felt much stronger. I believe the added days rest and large lunch prior to working out helped with this.
      The large lunch was a typical roast dinner, complete with a starter. I'm sure all the food was very high in saturated fat, so I will call this (and the roast before that) one of my Christmas cheat meals.

My sleep on this night was pretty restless for some reason. I believe the antibiotics are doing some bad things to my gut and im considering stopping taking them. I went to a doctor on Monday and he gave me a referal to a dermotologist who should be able to help me with my skin troubles, hopefully addressing my vuntrabilities to the medication side effects too. The referal was on the NHS so I think it may take up to 5-6 months until I get to see him or her.
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-29-2003 at 04:28 AM.

Friday 19/12/03

I've been really busy as many are during the Christmas period and so unable to update my journal. Ill skip days where I just log food and post the workouts.

• Workout:

Friday - Shoulders/Legs

Smith Shoulder Press: (warmup) 15x20kg, 11x30
      Shoulder Press: 8x40kg, 6x45kg*, 8x40
      Dumbbell Front Raise: 15x10kg*, 12x10kg, 11x10kg.
      Lateral Raise: 14x10kg*, 12x10kg, 12x10kg

Shrugs: 15x40kg, 12x80kg, 8x100kg*

Did warmup on the leg press before doing some leg extensions, leg curls, and calve raises.

SS - supersetted.

• Diet:

Good.

• Blah:

I was really pumped and felt pretty good after this workout. I am gaining steadily.

I'm going to Southend in the weekend with my friend from Holland, Paul, before he goes back. I'll consider this weekend a cheat and party my ass off I think
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-23-2003 at 07:55 AM.

Monday 23/12/03

• Workout:

Weighed in at 73.6kg [up 0.6 kg]

I am on target for reaching my goal. I just had a cheat weekend, in which I ate 2 resaurant pizza meals and a macdonalds, which may have partially contributed to the weight gain - however, I have not noticed any additional fat gain.

Goal is 74kg at roughly my current bodyfat (~12%) by New Year.

Monday - Chest/Tris

Flat Bench Press: warmup, 10x40kg, 10x50kg, 4x60kg*
      , 6x55kg
      Incline Bench Press (machine): 6x45kg*, 5x40kg, 5x40kg
      Cable Flys: 20x2 (warmup), 10x5, 10x3
      DB Flys: 15x11, 10x11

Close Grip Smith Press: 6x30kg, 6x30kg, 3x30kg
      Tricep Pushdown: 8x45, 9x45, 6x45 SS 8x35

SS - supersetted.

• Diet:

Very good. Approx 3500 cals. I wont list the food today, no time!

• Blah:

I am happy with my weight gain and can see it in the mirror. I believe I may be able to surpass my new goal of 74kg by new year if I carry on gaining at this rate.

I'm starting to get the antibiotic side-effects that I got with my previous course of Erythromycin. I was really hoping that the new ones I am on would not have any side effects. They are not as bad at all as the previous course but are still discomforting. I have been taking digestive aids with them in order to reduce the side effects - I just noticed on the back it said "keep refigirated once opened". Dammit. Why did'nt those tits tell me at the shop. That is probably why its not working.

I will see a doctor ASAP and try to figure out what the best thing to do is.
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-24-2003 at 03:18 AM.

Tuesday 24/12/03

• Workout:

Tuesday - Abs

I had no time to do abs today, I got home from work, cooked a meal, and then went to see Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King with my flat mate.

• Diet:

Food:
      Meal2: 150g sardines, 2 WW Rolls.
      Meal3: 1.5 Chicken Breasts with Pasta, 2 Clementines, 2 Bio Yogurts
      Meal4: 6 Eggs (1 yolk, 5 whites), 1 large warmed naan bread.
      Meal5: Medium Popcorn (at cinema)
      Meal6: 3 medium slices WW Bread w/Natty PB

Tbl spoon Flax Seed Oil, 1x100mg Minocin MR.

• Blah:

The movie was excellent. I didn't have time to prepare any food so I bought some popcorn and a bottle of water as the movie lasts over 3.5 hours.

I have to work Christmas Eve until 12 tommorow, at which point I will go to the gym, come home and then travel back to my parents house. I will spend my time there until Sunday Evening where I will travel back to Brighton and my house. I intend to do Fridays leg and shoulder workout using the limited resouces I have at home (2 Dumbbells).
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-24-2003 at 03:31 AM.

Wednesday 24/11/03

• Workout:

The gym closed at 2pm today, and I got there at approx 1.30pm. This left me less than 30 minutes to do my full back/bi workout, get changed, and shower. Suffice to say I made haste during this workout I was unable to complete all exercises and basically supersetted everything.

Wednesday - Back/Bis

13:35

Chins: 9xBW, 7xBW
      Lat pull wide: 10x9, 3x10
      Seated Row: 10x9, 8x10*
      Narrow Seated Back: 6x11* SS 5x9

EZ BB Curl: 9x28kg* (last rep was cheated)
      DB Hammer Curl: 10x11kg*

SS - supersetted.

• Diet:

Food:
      Unlogged.

• Blah:

A very rushed workout which did not feel complete. I managed to have a shower too but was rushed out the building.
    Last edited by Exnor; 12-29-2003 at 04:52 AM.

Thursday 25/12/03

Sleep: 10 hours

• Workout:

Thursday - Abs

Twisted Roman Chair Sit-Ups: 25xBW, 20xBW, 20xBW
      Flat Bench Leg Raises: 20xBW, 20xBW

• Diet:

Food:
      Unlogged.

Tbl spoon Flax Seed Oil, 3xAcidophilus Plus, 1x100mg Minocin MR.

• Blah:

I was able to sleep in today as it was Christmas day! I had a typical Christmas dinner today with turkey and all the trimmings. It was delicious