Thread: current environmental issue that's root cause is inequity among humans?

current environmental issue that's root cause is inequity among humans?

Anybody have an issues that describe an current environmental issue that's root cause is inequity among humans? Any resources for that issues?

I need a topic and a few resources for a paper.

Thx for the help in advance!
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

slash and burning of the rainforest in order to obtain farmland so that poor farmers can have crops to sell. is that what you mean?
    damn it

Gonadius Maximus
    In my opinion the human population is the problem. Its growing at alarming rates. Strange as it may sound to some war is a necessity as it thins the population and I belive that wars will become more frequent and devastating as necessity dictates.

Originally posted by wolfpack
    slash and burning of the rainforest in order to obtain farmland so that poor farmers can have crops to sell. is that what you mean?
    yes, but i need something more specific not a general incident, anybody got any resources for this?

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by John0101

yes, but i need something more specific not a general incident, anybody got any resources for this?
    Maybe you could talk about the USA producing 25% of the pollutent gas emissions and about how they refused to ratify the KYOTO protocol?

It seems like the ozone hole is actually slowing down it's progress thanks to the effort some are making.

John - you must have picked the topic - what did you have in mind? One could easily come up with an environmental issue, but the connection between human poverty and the destruction of the environment seems like a stretch to me.
    Last edited by EdgeCrusher; 10-11-2003 at 08:33 PM.

Simplistic
    Originally posted by restless

Maybe you could talk about the USA producing 25% of the pollutent gas emissions and about how they refused to ratify the KYOTO protocol?
    Didn't the KYOTO protocol exempt a bunch of other countries?

Originally posted by Neil

Didn't the KYOTO protocol exempt a bunch of other countries?
    Yes, the undeveloped ones. Also, there are a heavy amount of developed countries that didn't ratify, not just the USA.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Pay no attention to any posts by Restless. He just degenerates every single thread he enters with his rantings about evil old Uncle Sam.

Don't feed his little campfire.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
    John - you must have picked the topic - what did you have in mind? One could easily come up with an environmental issue, but the connection between human poverty and the destruction of the environment seems like a stretch to me.
    Not quite, environmental destruction happens more in undeveloped nations in the name of progress.

Btw: I think I'm going to write about the AIDS in Africa

Originally posted by John0101

Not quite, environmental destruction happens more in undeveloped nations in the name of progress.

Btw: I think I'm going to write about the AIDS in Africa
    But that happens because they are poor and undeveloped and industrialization creates a lot of environmental problems. Inequality != Poverty.

And AIDS isn't really an environmental issue, it's a disease that effects humans. But, it does have connections to inequality.

Take it offline.

John - I can' tthink of an environmental issue where the root cause is inequity, although I can certainly see how richer nation states (or geographies) would have far less environmental issues.

We rich folk can afford the technology to clean up our mess. We also tend to have a higher value on property rights.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Here's a REALLY BIG environmental problem designed to ease inequity by promoting economic development:
    Three Gorges Damn, China. Largest engineering program for quite a while, if not ever. Displaced millions, destroyed huge swaths of China's environment, but lots of power is required for the massive influx of migrant laborers (ex-farmers) into the mega-cities because the standard of living is so much higher in cities.
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 10-13-2003 at 03:00 PM.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I think something on the lines of poor countries openign factories, polluting the enviroment, but providing jobs.

Saw a show about some Asian island, that became a dump for old computer parts. The cancer cases and some other disease shot way up. But the people needed the money.

Saw something interesting Friday night on dateline or something similar. It was college kids protesting sweat shops. Should places where they closed sweat shops cause of bad press. People out odf work, girls turning to prostition. The real interesting part was when the interviewed the locals, they wanted the shops and jobs, said it was there choice. Found it kind of interesting this all college and no knowledge kids complaining about sweat shops, but they don't even know the whole story.
    Thats not really and enviromental issue though. I don't think the aids one is either. Unless you count whats happening to the monkeys.