Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WBB contest - biggest gain on a single lift (Bench, Deadlift, or Squat)

Good job guys, keep the progress coming.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Originally posted by Dedicated
    185lbs X 6!!!! +10lb improvement

FEAR ME PEOPLE, FEAR ME!!!

Gonna try 190lb X 6 on Saturday maybe, not sure.

And yea that was for bench, forgot to mention what lift, I was blinded by the PUMP.
    Good job Ded! I fear only your volume...thats about it.
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 10-29-2003 at 10:47 PM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Thanks man!

220 x 5 today, which would unofficially probably be 215 x 6
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Nice job Hahn

I got 190lbs X 4 today on bench, short 2 reps, maybe on Sunday I will get it. I wasn't 100% today so I think maybe on Sunday I will be able to get 5 or 6, will see

Yea, plus you did all those other sets first. I bet when you go to do 190 before all those sets you'd be able to push at least 6.

Ya you are right Hahn that is prolly why.

Today I got
    190lb X 6 on Bench
    230lb X 6 on Deadlift

So far thats....
    +15lb on bench
    +5lb on deadlift
    +0lb on squat

Doubt I'll improve on squats, still not squatting, maybe in a week or so. Any improvements I make after this I will be REALLY happy about lol.

Edit - The 190lb X 6 was HARD. And the 230lb X 6 deadlift aggravated my wrist, so dunno if I will make any more improvements in the near future.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 11-03-2003 at 03:55 PM.

I'm gonna make one post and keep editing it so its easier for people to see my progress in one post rather than posting every couple days

11/3 ouch that week off hurt!
    HammerStrength flat bench
    2x10 at 320
    1x10 at 340

11/7
    HammerStrength OH Press
    3x10 at 220
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 11-07-2003 at 06:01 PM.

I got pinned under the bar attempting 205 after gettig 185 yesterday.

Good work dedicated.

How'd you get the weight off you shourd? I put pillows down next to my bench today when I was doing my sets with 205, I've never spilled that much before but I remember spilling 185 on cement and it wasn't quiet lol.

Originally posted by Shroud
    I got pinned under the bar attempting 205 after gettig 185 yesterday.
    why are you benching two days in a row?
    do you have a spot?
    a 20lb jump is pretty big

I benched 225x4 today and 235x1. I haven't done a 6 rep max since I hit 185 and it's (185 lbs) my warm-up weight. To use the weight calculator, I can do 210 lbs for 6 on the bench using 225x4 as the working set. I start cutting tomarrow, so I expect my gains to slow/stop a fair amount.

Assuming I *can* do 6 reps of 210, my gain so far is 35 lbs since 10/18/03

why are you benching two days in a row?
    It was the same workout. Sorry if that was unclear. I got 185 and it felt a bit heavy but not my max so I figured breaking 200 would be nice so I went for 205. Plus I've been feeling a bit lagging on my bench press progression since this comp began but no reason to let my ego turn me stupid. I need to remember that my bench has always been one of my weaker lifts and thus something that's going to take time.

I got it off by the old "dump a side on the ground and worry about the side I still have on top of me". A guy was on the elliptical and saw me and came over but I already had it halfway off and had basically gotten things under control but it was nice of him to come offer his assistance. Pinned under a bar solo is sort of embarassing but I'm very glad I didn't hurt myself at all. Bench press is where I see the biggest limitation of a smith machine. Using a flat bench, none of the safety settings are exactly where I'd like them to be. Thus I like to do as much of my benching outside of a smith since I can't get proper ROM using the smith (plus the results outside the smith = true personal maxes).

Assuming I *can* do 6 reps of 210, my gain so far is 35 lbs since 10/18/03
    That's some great work EC. Keep it up man.

I think I'll spend some time with the weight calculator this week to see what it gives me for 1 RM, 6 RM etc so I have some working ranges.

do you have a spot?
    No...hence how I got pinned hehe (can laugh about it now).

Hahn - When you say spill do you mean that you dont use collars and thus are able to tip a side and let the weights slide off?

I came very close to 6x330 today, but couldn't lock the shoulders back to complete it. So I'll have to submit my first set of 325x8

That's a +20 for me, and close to a +25

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Drew did you go in for bench also? Just wondering cause I know your bench has been blowing up since the contest started. Nice work on the deads.

This contest is great, as soon as it ends we should start another one, it really is keeping me motivated. I actually thought about the contest today when deadlifting and did 230lbs instead of 225lbs lol. It really makes you push yourself

Nah, I didn't want to put in for the bench this time around. Just the Deads. Right now I'm happy I hit my 1RM goal for 2 of 3. Thinking of going for the 330 squat this week or next.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Shroud - I was trying to unrack 135 pounds from the powerrack and put it on the bottom to start doing static holds, and I realized most people (including me) can't take 135 lbs from their chest and put it down to their hips very easily, so I sent it to the floor/rack in a pretty loud manner (and the weighs fell off).

Originally posted by Shroud
    Hahn - When you say spill do you mean that you dont use collars and thus are able to tip a side and let the weights slide off?
    Yea, that's what I mean. I haven't had to do that in a long time, but I never bench with collars unless I have a spotter. If you get stuck under the bar and you have collars on it, the weight doesnt have anywhere to go, and it will be a lot harder to get out from under it. Oh well, I have a spotter 99% of the time.

1rm on bench was 310 as of 11/4. check dl and squats tomorrow.

Ok..time to reaquaint myself the with DL. 1 week break is enough.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Originally posted by HahnB

Yea, that's what I mean. I haven't had to do that in a long time, but I never bench with collars unless I have a spotter. If you get stuck under the bar and you have collars on it, the weight doesnt have anywhere to go, and it will be a lot harder to get out from under it. Oh well, I have a spotter 99% of the time.

Holy crap, thats a pretty good idea...I never thought about doing that...

Originally posted by BHerks
    1rm on bench was 310 as of 11/4. check dl and squats tomorrow.
    We are using 6rms, please let us know what that is.

11/10: Bench Press 155x6

Finally an increase. Maybe I'll get 160 or 165 for 6 next week.