Thread: im on a deadline

Wannabebig Member

im on a deadline

is it possible to increase my bench max (185) to around 225+ and my squat max (225) to 275+ by febuary 20th?

if so i need to knwo the best way to gain strength, brute strength, not so much leaness. I have a high bf % so I have alot to work with...any help would be great

currently i do somthin like this

Chest shoulder day:

bb bench- 2x5, 2x3, 1x1
    db decline- 3x6
    bb incline- 2x6, 2x4
    bb shoulder press- 2x5, 2x3, 1x2, 1x1
    flys- 3x6
    french press- 2x6, 2x4
    upright rows- 3x6
    dips- 3xfailure (about 5)

Back/Leg:

squat- 2x6, 2x4, 2x2 1xfailure
    deadlift- 2x5, 2x3, 2x1
    rows- 3x6
    leg extention- 3x6
    leg curl- 3x6
    assited chin up- 3xfailure
    reverse flys- 3x8

Does stretching after your workout help? Any nutrition tips to help gain strength? tahnks alot
    Currently cutting with Bill Starr's 5x5

6/15/06
    5'9''
    ~15% bf

goal

168 lbs by 9/1/07

May I ask why you have that deadline? Just a personal goal or will the mob kill you if you can't lift that much by then?
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 140
    Current Personal Bests
    1x175 BP
    8x205 Squat
    1x245 Deadlift

Milk, Milk, Milk JeffWillConquer's Avatar
    Possible? Yes. Likely? No. You could try doing the Russian bench routine, which is supposedly supposed to add like 50 pounds in 6 weeks. You could probably apply the same theories from that to your squatting routine and gain some. I'm not sure of the link though, sorry. Good luck though.
    Growing
    Height: 5'11

I would say ask the guys in the powerlifting forum. Brute strength is their game.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

yes, it's entirely possible, and probably not all that difficult. adjusting your technique alone will probably add ~20lbs to each

ask in the PL forum and you'll get some real responses

So you need to add 2.63 pounds a week to your squat and 2.10 to your bench? IF (and this is a MIGHTY BIG IF) you can add that much weight to your lifts each week (assuming a once a week split) you should be able to do it no problem. BUT there are so many variables it's hard to say. It's simple to talk abotu progression like it's automatic but it's not always that simple....eat right....recover right and add the weight to the bar and do everything perfect and you can STILL be STUCK with a 210 max bench. It's unlikely but it could happen! IF on the other hand you add that weight each time and ONLY that weight (and don't get greedy) you should succeed if you have your mind in the right place!

I'd be benching more than once a week if your going to have any shot of making this goal. YOu have about 4 months time, which would be enough to get your bench up 40lbs if you eat enough and get your training down.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    i have the deadline because that is when lacrosse season starts... last year i got screwed. I made varsity, then got cut because im short for a defensemen (5'9'') the guys who they kept instead of me were 6' and 6' 4''. both wieghed less than me.

6/15/06
    5'9''
    ~15% bf

goal

168 lbs by 9/1/07

uzair rocks
    what were you doing all summer? why are you waiting until mid october to start working on your strength?

if you were injured thats one thing, but if this is something that you've just put off then I think you might need to do a little soul searching and figure out just how bad you really want to be a lacrosse player...if u want to be the best at anything its an all year committment, part timers need not apply....

It's definitely possible. My bench went from 200lbs in May to 255lbs in August just doing a normal once a week 3 sets of 6-8 reps routine

Wannabebig Member
    geoff, ive been working out quite alot, i just havent been seeing the results i had been hoping for. that routine is what i had been doin all summer.

i gained about 15 lbs on my bench and about 40+ on my squat from june to mid august.

im just searching for the best way to get stronger. also i have been doing "wall ball" and jump roping alot to increase my agility

6/15/06
    5'9''
    ~15% bf

goal

168 lbs by 9/1/07

You can do it, yes.

Is this for a test? If not, I think I would focus on stuff that makes you a better lacrosse player - not some arbitrary squat and bench numbers.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

If he's looking for results on the field, shouldn't he be more concerned about squats and deadlifts (not that bench press should be neglected)? Wouldn't some of the other compound lifts translate into more power on the field than bench press in particular?

Wannabebig Member
    i dont know, you guys tell me...i learned to lift by myself, now im learing i know absolutely nothing.

6/15/06
    5'9''
    ~15% bf

goal

168 lbs by 9/1/07