The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Get Big!!!

Separate Carb/Fat Meals

This is an excerpt from an article found on MSN today. It states that meals should alternate between protein/carb meals and protein/fat meals, and that we shouldn’t eat carbs and fats in the same meal. Is there any scientific basis for this though just another random theory?

***Q:I've followed every bit of advice you've ever offered, and still have excess flesh right below my belly button. How do I get rid of it?

A: Since my advice hasn't worked, I went to a higher authority. "It's 100 percent diet, and it's the obvious stuff," says Jose Antonio, Ph.D., an adjunct professor of exercise science at Florida Atlantic University. "Eliminate processed carbohydrates. If it comes in a package, don't eat it."

If you've already tried eliminating junk carbs -- fiberless cereals, sodas, "low-fat" baked goods -- try something more advanced: Separate carbohydrates and fat, so you never eat both in the same meal. Ideally, you alternate between the nonfat and the noncarb meals throughout the day, with each meal containing some protein. This is a technique recommended by John Berardi, C.S.C.S., a nutrition researcher at the University of Western Ontario.

It's easier to recommend than to implement. But I use it when I need to take off a pound or two of fat, and it works every time. A few examples of how to do it:

Breakfast
    No Fat: High-fiber cereal with blueberries and nonfat milk
    No (or low) Carbs: Eggs with low-fat meat

Lunch
    No Fat: Sandwich made with turkey breast, whole-wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, and mustard
    No (or low) Carbs: Tuna salad with mayonnaise

Dinner
    No Fat: Baked skinless chicken breast, sweet potato, and salad with nonfat dressing
    No (or low) Carbs: Sirloin steak and mixed- green salad (which has very few carbohydrates) with olive-oil-based dressing

Snack
    No Fat: Nonfat yogurt, fruit
    No (or low) Carbs: Peanut butter***

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The food combining theory is just that, theory. It has never really shown to be that effective in the real world, and this is due to a number of factors.

Fat can store itself independant of insulin, via ASP, so the idea that controlling insulin levels will keep you from storing fat is not quite accurate. Protein itself causes an insulin response, so just eating protein and fat will still cause an increase insulin, although it will be smaller as compared to eating protein and carbs, but in the grand scheme of things this is not going to matter. Total calories will be the determining factor as to whether or not you gain weight.

Another factor would be gastric emptying rates, since food "hangs around" in the digestive tract for quite a while, you will still essentially have carbs and protein present at the same time waiting to be digested absorbed. That is assuming you eat every 3-4 hours.

Here are some related threads
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...hlight=Berardi
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...hlight=Berardi

Get Big!!!
    Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know how you know all of this stuff. You must be an avid reader. Most impressive!