Thread: Religion Thread

Religion Thread

k, so a few different topics have lead to religious battlesin the forums lately. As an atheist, I'm just curious of a few things...

1) what lead you to your current faith? parents? peers? "moment of clarity"?

2) how has it changed, or helped your life?

3) Are these beliefs something you will force upon your children?( I use the term "force" out of my own grudges with religion)

4) Do you feel autonomous when making decisions or forming opinions? Or must you read a passage in a book before taking judgement?

You're going straight to hell for that one! (in my best Robin Williams doing Gomer Pyle impersonation, from Good Morning Vietmnam)
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Re: Religion Thread

Originally posted by MrWebb78
    k, so a few different topics have lead to religious battlesin the forums lately. As an atheist, I'm just curious of a few things...

Being a Philosophy major has forced me to challenge assumptions not based on Science and Reason. Thus, I am an atheist.

I don't have to contort my thinking to believe something I can't prove as true and I have also come into conflict with more religious people when they know my lack of faith.

3) Are these beliefs something you will force upon your children?( I use the term "force" out of my own grudges with religion)
    I will encourage my children to question their assumptions and think independantly. I plan on raising my children in a very intellectual atmosphere, and I would think it's my obligation as a parent to expose them to the debate over religion and god.

4) Do you feel autonomous when making decisions or forming opinions? Or must you read a passage in a book before taking judgement?
    I feel extremely independant in my beliefs and decisions.
    Last edited by EdgeCrusher; 10-10-2003 at 11:07 PM.

Originally posted by MrWebb78
    I took a few steps away from religion, via reason and logic. Then I took a few more steps in that same direction, but found myself squarely back in "religion." Although in a vastly different place.

Hard to define, because I'm really not sure. I'd like to say an anchoring focal point, but that's misleading. There's no "external" power at work; more a redefinition of myself and everything around me. Its a change in perception and self, not so much any outside factor that helps anything.

Absolutely not. Religion and spirituality are too important of issues to force on anyone.

Autonomy is the very essence of my beliefs.

And I have no book to read from. Wisdom reveals itself.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

1) I was never really religious to begin with, I would just follow my parents. So I was never really "anchored" in religion to begin with. Schooling has had a huge impact on my beliefs, particularly the area of Philosophy.

2) To early to tell how it has affected my life, I'm still figuring things out as I go along. I've come to question a lot more things, but I've also become more open minded to others views.

3) I would never force my beliefs (or lack thereof) on anyone.

4) I've become a lot more rational when making decisions.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Powerman - while you might not have a name for your current set of beliefs, could you describe them?

Strongly founded in Buddhism...but that's only a description. I've been a big fan of all the mystic traditions, even before I knew what to call them. So you could basically lump Taoism, Hindu, the Aboriginal and various Native American religions, and even the mystic sects of Christianity and Islam.

So its on the track of philosophy, with the emphasis on empiricism and logic.....but I've taken it a step further, into the metaphysical. That's what I meant by ending up "back in religion;" I ended up back at the point where logic and reason is all but useless.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar

Re: Re: Religion Thread

Originally posted by PowerManDL

I took a few steps away from religion, via reason and logic. Then I took a few more steps in that same direction, but found myself squarely back in "religion." Although in a vastly different place.

Hard to define, because I'm really not sure. I'd like to say an anchoring focal point, but that's misleading. There's no "external" power at work; more a redefinition of myself and everything around me. Its a change in perception and self, not so much any outside factor that helps anything.

Absolutely not. Religion and spirituality are too important of issues to force on anyone.

Autonomy is the very essence of my beliefs.

And I have no book to read from. Wisdom reveals itself.
    Yes. I love you Majt, in a totally homosexual way. I mean, not in.... Wait.. No, I.... *sigh* Nevermind.

The closest thing to what I believe in would have to be labeled as existentialism. But as you know, existentialism is not in and of itself a "religion". Existentialists are christians, atheists, and everything else.
    Last edited by Gyno Rhino; 10-11-2003 at 07:48 AM.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Gonadius Maximus
    :withstupi

The Existentialists part not the Homo part.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar

Boredom. Laziness. Critical Thinking.

It put me in control of my life, just the way god, if he exists, would want it to be.

I would encourage my kids (when I eventually have some) to decide for themselves what their idea of god is.

Not in the least. I think about every decision that needs to be thought about, then I act.
    Last edited by JuniorMint6669; 10-11-2003 at 12:39 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I am a Christian and interested in apoligetics. You, as an atheist, refuse to believe in a God (which is a being that is all knowing). How can the atheist truely know that an all knowing being does not exist unless that atheist is an all knowing being? Therefore, the atheist rejects their own belief.

At the risk of getting

einstein1 - how can you truely know that an all knowing being *does* exist unless you are that all knowing being yourself? Which is blasphemy. It's not about what you *know*, its about what you *believe*

3:16
    i agree with the gimp.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    How does one have to be an "all-knowing being" to believe that there is no all-knowing being? That just doesn't make sense. Are you an "all-knowing being" for knowing how to make instant pudding? No. I'm sure that there are MANY things that the atheists on here will admit to not knowing. It's just that in their mind, the question of God is one of the things they do know.

So what was your point, einstein?
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Typical fallacious logic.

If one does not know X, one cannot imply that X must exist from that.

Originally posted by einstein1
    I am a Christian and interested in apoligetics. You, as an atheist, refuse to believe in a God (which is a being that is all knowing). How can the atheist truely know that an all knowing being does not exist unless that atheist is an all knowing being? Therefore, the atheist rejects their own belief.
    Taken from something I wrote on another site:

"It makes the most sense to be a strong atheist over a weak atheist because by operating in the real world, we must make observations based on science and reason, and it would be illogical to chalk up our disbelief in what science/reason can't show/disproves to "just what we think." You wouldn't say "I don't think there are any invisible dragons, but I will suspend my disbelief/not believe without making the assertion there are not invisible dragons" because that would be making a mockery of our own ability to make observations and to hold anything to be true at all. If we were to simply treat everything as a belief, not as a fact, then we would believe 2+2=4, but we wouldn't be so rash as to assert it, because *who knows?*"

Wannabebig Member
    Read a book on advanced genetics and try telling yourself "big bang did it".

I'm just chillin. I'm not religous, I'm not anti-anything either. I just go about my day happily. Am I still going to hell??

Originally posted by Talontsiawd

I'm just chillin. I'm not religous, I'm not anti-anything either. I just go about my day happily. Am I still going to hell??
    Talon - Paley's design argument is neat when you are new to philosophy and religion, but it doesn't stand up with evolution (a more reasonable design theory) when evolution has factual proof whereas the Paley's argument is a ncie story.

Take a look at these resources: http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...sm/design.html
    Last edited by EdgeCrusher; 10-12-2003 at 09:50 PM.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    That's what I meant by ending up "back in religion;" I ended up back at the point where logic and reason is all but useless.
    You live in California?

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Originally posted by Budiak

You live in California?
    nice haha... hey... i live in california....

Originally posted by Talontsiawd
    Why would I imply that a cosmological event has anything to do with life, which (on Earth) would not develop for 5-15 billion years after said event?

i'll play!!

ermm.....life itself - a book i read in particular helped, and of course my parent's philosophy.

i'm a lot more mellow and relaxed - and by choosing the right-hand path and acting from a place of love fairly consistently, i make much better decisions and live with a lot less stress.

my belief that one should act from love and not fear? absolutely that is a belief i will instill in my children. i don't see how one could call it "force" tho....

loaded question, but of course i'm autonomous, as i am using my own conscious and intuition to arrive at any decision i come to. it also frees me up from having to be judgemental about others, since it's not in my scope.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I normally dislike getting involved or even looking at these threads but I'll join in this one.

Bit of everything really. Mostly an existentialism class I had in college better put into words how I was feeling. Its somewhat along those lines but more spiritual in nature.

Almost not at all. I've never really been that influenced in my day to day life by these sort of things. I might be a bit more mellow but beyond that, its never really affected me.

I came to where I am without outside influences. My parents took me to church. As I got older in life, my dad quit going. Come to find out later he went because my mom wanted to and he didn't want to push his views on my or my sister so he played along. When I got old enough, my mom let me decide whether I wanted to continue going or not. I didn't and she didn't hold it against me. She was disappointed but not hurt. If there is a time when I have kids, then it will be a joint decision with my spouse and I as to whether or not they go to church. I won't say not they can't nor will I say they have to. I do believe that with a good church very strong and important morals can be built but I dislike those that try to take it beyond that. Maybe that's something I can instill upon my children but they will do as we do until they are of age to decide. Then its their choice.

Of course based upon my above statements, its fairly safe to say that there aren't passages anywhere that can guide me in a decision. Its something I choose to do. Although I do tend to visit Arnold's Encyclopedia of Modern bodybuilding from time to time.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Banned
    Some children find out the truth about Santa by 7...

Some children find out the truth about the Easter bunny by 8....

Some find out the truth about the tooth fairy by 9.....

Some have to wait until death to find out the truth about GOD..

I will never force my children to believe in fairytales.......

I believe religion actually seperates most of us........

Nobody knows for sure if it is real so why do they tout it as FACT. It's rediculous....Every religion is preached as FACT, but yet they are so different and some even CONFLICT??? HA ha

Every gang member in LA has Jesus draped around their neck. Every criminal in prison has "found" GOD........

If Jesus was around today he would be locked up in a padded room!

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    If there IS a God, which obviously I believe there is, then certain things that people can't do could be done if granted the ability by this God. I believe those things have been done. I believe Abraham built the Qiblah, I believe Moses parted the Red Sea, I believe Jesus walked on water and I believe Mohammed could never have recited the Quraan on his own. Not without the assistance of a God. And when I put all those pieces together, there was only one "choice."

I treat people better. I'm not so quick to call someone an "uppity ******" or a "greasy mexican" or a "stupid broad" anymore. Granted I still enjoy the telling and hearing of racist and sexist jokes, but that's more because I have a sense of humor than I truly believe blondes would swim to the bottom of a pool to smell the scratch n sniff.

I will introduce it to them, and explain my views if they ask. But I didn't find my faith having it shoved down my throat and neither will they. It's a big enough burden to carry my last name and have to show up at malls and kiss babies and sign autographs, without forcing he/she to deal with extra things like what they feel is true and what I'm telling them.

Decisions are always up to me. It's nice, when I get a hankering to gouge somebody on pricing, to recall things along the lines of dealing fairly but ultimately the decision is up to me. Only evangelists in the south go reading scripture when it's time to decide which way to wipe their ass. (yes that was a dig, and if you take it personally you are a dope)