The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I know what your feeling Stabber. I just turned 23 a few weeks ago and found myself thinking the same things. But at the same time I realized, with the help of some people on WBB, that 23 isn't very old. You've got tons of time to figure yourself out. Take it from me, I was married at 20 and divorced at 22. When I was married I began to feel that I was missing out on just being single and not having the stress and worries of a married person trying to support a family. I'm not saying I'm glad my wife turned out to be a dirty slut, but.... Let's just say I've been on both sides of the coin already and I know what it's like being where you say you wish you were. Enjoy the time you have. Life is what you make of it. Personally, I'm tired of wasting mine worrying about tomorrow. You should consider the doing the same.

Hope things look up bro!
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Tryska, this might sound stupid, especially coming from me, a young schmuck with half the life experience you have, a young man, who might have a pretty decent normal life, can sometimes just actually be lovesick, and lovesick is not hornyness or any primitive hormone rush, its the need to feel a girl, to touch her, talk to her, to know that she wants to touch you and talk to you, and when you go to long being lovesick, a year perhaps, its a-typical of a young man to be extremely lovesick, and it can make him think his situation is so much worse than it is, its totally different for a woman/girl, you are often in a position where you just have to play the game, wait a bit and play it some more. Its harder for a young man, it just is.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Rock I dont understand your post.

"When I was 16, I thought I would have a house, kids and wife by the time I was 23. "

Why in the world would you want to get married by 23?
    My dad first married when he was 44, and my mom was 34.
    When I ask them why theyre so late they look at me funny and ask if my friends`parents didn`t have anything better to do when they were young.

Anyway I dont really see what the problem is, Make a list of what you want to do, them make a list of what you need to do in order to get there, then do it

Reinier you will understand my post soon enough
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

ehh.

Why you not on msn?

the pc in this army university I am located does not have msn, cant handle it either, hehe.

being the army, far away from home and potensial girlfriends, I am more lovesick than ive ever been.

rock..what?

you're horny and you miss females, ergo you're depressed?

i can't stand hearing that - cvuz you know what? you are in charge of your emotions....you can give me allt he reasons int he world why your life sucks, but only you can decide how you feel about it.

it's just another way of not taking personal responsibility.

and all of y'all who think i'm a b*tch for not providing the proper amoutn of touchy-feely warm fuzzies let's have a group hug crap - what i am saying is ultimately more empowering then "awww..you're having a bad day? here let me give oyu a hug and tell you it's not your fault."

y'all need to realize that everyday that you wake up and your body is in full working order, you have food to eat and a roof over your head it is good god-damn day.

then all this drama starts to pale in comparison.

if you cultivate an attitude of gratitude, trust me - life is soo much better.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

YEAH!

or soemthing

Originally posted by Reinier
    Rock I dont understand your post.

Anyway I dont really see what the problem is, Make a list of what you want to do, them make a list of what you need to do in order to get there, then do it
    Wohooo, someone said it

It really is that simple.

Generally I find the best steps to achieve something are:

Outcome: What do you want to achieve? I lot of people do things, take action but do not really know why, or what they want. So get clear in your mind what you want. You want a better job? What sort of job? What would you like to do? You want a girlfriend? What type of girlfriend? The stronger the outcome the more precise the action can be.

Purpose: Why do you want it? How will it make you feel when you have it? How will it effect your daily life when you have it? Imagine actually having it. How does that feel?

Action: How are you going to get there. Write a plan, split it into manageable action items.

The most important thing? Take action NOW, TODAY. Get the ball rolling. Start moving towards what you want once you have clear what it is, and why you want it.

Spend the time you feel sorry for yourself and put it to good use
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Originally posted by Maki Riddington
    There's nothing wrong with feeling sorry for yourself once in awhile. Just make sure it's 'once' in awhile.
    ...and if it happens more than once in awhile you have the insight to figure what's wrong and fix it.

I'm 23. I have a computer engineering degree and full-time job. Live by myself, and make enough to make ends meet and have a little fun. But you know what, its not what I want. I realize that and I'm taking the first steps to fixing it.

Maybe you never become like those ultra happy people that we see idolized on TV but that don't mean we sit around feeling sorry for ourselves and complaining about it. We do something about it.

Because its a weightlifting site, I'll relate it to that. We can't always bench as much as we want or as much as the other guy sometimes, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to try to. In order to get there, it has to be done in small increments. 5lbs, this week, another rep next week, and so on. The goal at the end seems loafty and unreachable but with determination, drive, and dedication, its attainable. Same applies to life. That ultra happy go-lucky lifestyle seems too far out there to be had but by taking small steps everyday of your life to get there, it can happen.

Analyze what you want and then what it would take to get it. Start breaking everything down into mini-goals. Work to meeting those. My realizing and completing those little things, you are one step closer to being what you want to be.

Like Tryska said though, its all part of the mind set. If you are constantly depressed and wallowing in it then you'll never get anywhere. Suck it up and do what you have to do to get to where you want to go.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Originally posted by Tryska
    and all of y'all who think i'm a b*tch for not providing the proper amoutn of touchy-feely warm fuzzies let's have a group hug crap - what i am saying is ultimately more empowering then "awww..you're having a bad day? here let me give oyu a hug and tell you it's not your fault."
    Actually it makes me want you...isn't that weird?

*lol* freak.

Stabber, take charge bro. I don't think the way Tryska is putting things is very tactful right now, but what she's saying still holds some weight. Same with what everybody else is saying. If things aren't the way you want them, then it's up to you to change them.

As for myself, like I said I've felt the way you are in the not to distant past. Cause I wasn't happy with where I was at and where I felt I was going. So I decided to move out of my current place and I'm filling out some job applications to find an extra job to keep me busy and meet some new people. I see all this as a little step to get me where I want to go. Even though I don't know where THERE is yet. Sometimes you've gotta make changes just to make changes. Give yourself different scenery and a new outlook. Things will look up for you, but it's you that has to get the ball rolling.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

best post in thread is Hulk`s imo, or HY`s.
    although hulk is sounding like one of those gurus, tony robins or something

If your feeling like your the only one you know in your small town move. Pack your bags and move to the nearest big city. There you can move in with some other guys or gals who advertises for flat mates in the local paper.
    Then you will get integrated into a social group and you will have an exciting life. Stop making excuses and do something with your life while your still young.
    Plus most big cities are full to bursting with single people so you are bound to meet someone.
    You got the small town blues, you need to see the city lights.

Originally posted by HomeYield

...and if it happens more than once in awhile you have the insight to figure what's wrong and fix it.

I'm 23. I have a computer engineering degree and full-time job. Live by myself, and make enough to make ends meet and have a little fun. But you know what, its not what I want. I realize that and I'm taking the first steps to fixing it.

Maybe you never become like those ultra happy people that we see idolized on TV but that don't mean we sit around feeling sorry for ourselves and complaining about it. We do something about it.

Because its a weightlifting site, I'll relate it to that. We can't always bench as much as we want or as much as the other guy sometimes, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to try to. In order to get there, it has to be done in small increments. 5lbs, this week, another rep next week, and so on. The goal at the end seems loafty and unreachable but with determination, drive, and dedication, its attainable. Same applies to life. That ultra happy go-lucky lifestyle seems too far out there to be had but by taking small steps everyday of your life to get there, it can happen.

Analyze what you want and then what it would take to get it. Start breaking everything down into mini-goals. Work to meeting those. My realizing and completing those little things, you are one step closer to being what you want to be.

Like Tryska said though, its all part of the mind set. If you are constantly depressed and wallowing in it then you'll never get anywhere. Suck it up and do what you have to do to get to where you want to go.
    *** What I was saying is, if you're feeling down and out like Stabber (it seems he's full of self pity right now) it's ok to feel like that once in awhile. However, if your "whoa is me" attitude is getting the best of your life regardles of how good your life really is, you have a problem.

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:"

Ecclesiastes 3:1
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 10-16-2003 at 04:11 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    My post is best, ignore all these other peons.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Originally posted by galileo

Actually it makes me want you...isn't that weird?

This reminds me of a move my mother caught me watching one time .. Actually it was last week but any way... I hate when my mom doesn't knock before she comes in my room!!!!! Im like all I want is a Pepsi and she wouldn't give it to me.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

Tryska, there is big article written about what I said, I am going to try to find it, it has been mentioned on here before.

And it has nothing to do with being horny, Its so easy to simplify, it has to do with finding a simple meaning, that you can base a motivation on, funny its usually I that say the horny part, and you that explain the other part.

But because you disagree with me, you can still be polite,

LETS ROLL!
    Joining the army has been one of the most fullfilling things that i have ever done. I will never look back on the last 6 years with any regret in regards to that. I see young dudes all the time hangin out w/each other getting buzzed and even the dudes that dont drink watch us all make asses of ourselves. I have been to two foriegn countries and am doing my part in the war/post war by keeping apaches in the air so i get a great deal of job satisfaction. Sure there is b.s. but its all over just different brands. There is no comradre like that of the armed forces and i will miss it greatly.
    1. Do the right thing.
    2. Do it to the best of you ability.
    3. Treat other people as you want to be treated.

Originally posted by Rock
    Tryska, there is big article written about what I said, I am going to try to find it, it has been mentioned on here before.

And it has nothing to do with being horny, Its so easy to simplify, it has to do with finding a simple meaning, that you can base a motivation on, funny its usually I that say the horny part, and you that explain the other part.

But because you disagree with me, you can still be polite,
    simple meaning comes from within - you are looking outside to find some sort of motivation, or comfort or whatever - look inside. that's hwere it comes from.

Ive think Ive found it, I am going to buy my self a puppy next summer, compete next spring, get a girlfriend and start studying.

hell yeah. that puppy alone will get you 3 phone numbers, Rock. Im gonna get me a ****ing puppy.

yes but Lick I am a genuine animal lover, phone numbers I can get in the phone book

Tryska I found the story that Ive based my reasoning on.

There was a small island in the south pacific, there lived a tribe, that worked perfectly, no violence or religion to die for, imagine that uh, anyways, at the early age of 8-10years old, the children on the island started to play with intercourse, and by the age of 12-13, they had sex all the time.

then a group of english missionarys arrived, and they started preaching morals, saying that it was outragous that the children had sex so young and before marriage, so they forbid it, and worked upon the islanders, the christian law.

here is the intresting part, this did not have a mjor effect on the young females of the island, but the young boys, 16-20yrs, started misbehaving, drinking and suicide became a rather normal event at the little island...

the lack of female touch and play, makes the young boy press in the clutch and turn into clay.

Originally posted by SquareHead
    If this site dosent make you feel better nothin will.

http://www.mymiserablelife.com/

Great link! I don't know about you Stabber, but I feel muuuuch better after visiting that site.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.