The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Originally posted by Tryska

simple meaning comes from within - you are looking outside to find some sort of motivation, or comfort or whatever - look inside. that's hwere it comes from.

preach it, sister!

www.mymiserablelife.com

man thats some f`ed up stuff.
    Last edited by Reinier; 10-19-2003 at 02:29 AM.

Originally posted by Reinier
    www.mymiserablelife.com

man thats some f`ed up stuff.
    Uh, yeah! I just spent a half an hour reading this crap. I can't believe some of the stuff on the net. That's messed up.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Rock

And it has nothing to do with being horny, Its so easy to simplify, it has to do with finding a simple meaning, that you can base a motivation on, funny its usually I that say the horny part, and you that explain the other part.

But because you disagree with me, you can still be polite,
    How can some of you people dismiss someone's feelings? So just because you have never felt it before it doesn't exist? Well grow up. Think outside the box, not in your own box.

Rock, I know exactly what you are saying bro. 24 day shifts up north in a camp will bring out those feelings...

Saying, "Be grateful for what you have compared to Ethiopia" is pretty lame. You are talking to people who live in homes with computers. You are preaching to the wrong crowd about such things. Because of our forefathers, we now have the capability to overlook such things, and strive for greater goals.
    Last edited by Talontsiawd; 10-19-2003 at 01:29 PM.

Procrastinator
    i have been going through that crap for 5 long years... off and on
    its been crazy and i hate it and still hate it... i try not to wallow in it but its always there, and it affects my mind and my work, i now have become a workaholic just to keep my mind busy and occupied and all i've done now is wear myself down to nothing,, it sucks! i know exactly what you are going through. i've been extremely succesful because of college, but i know its not what i want to do.. im still considering joining the army or something just to get the heck away from everything and explore and experience different things and different people. not to mention pushing my body to the limits. i wish i could offer answers but the only answer i've ever gotten was to start going to church and ask God for help and resolution and go from there.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
    Guess I'll keep on biting away at it

Originally posted by Talontsiawd

How can some of you people dismiss someone's feelings? So just because you have never felt it before it doesn't exist? Well grow up. Think outside the box, not in your own box.

perhaps we say what we do, because we've seen it or experienced it time and again, and realize it's really nothing you're not gonna live through, and that it's drama for the sake of drama.

ran across an interesting quote yesterday in a magazine - "Depression is for the middle class. The rest of us have an early start in the morning. Slave to the rave, rave to the grave." - granted that came from a clubkid dj, but it makes a valid point.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

perhaps we say what we do, because we've seen it or experienced it time and again, and realize it's really nothing you're not gonna live through, and that it's drama for the sake of drama.
    word.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Wannabebig Member

You should have said that in the first place. He was afterall, asking for advice. Maybe if someone had given YOU advice, you would have avoided those sitiuations you mentioned earlier.
    Have you not taken your mothers advice at one time or another? If your mom can spot a dud from the getgo, I take it you haven't.

As for the "movitation comes from within" blah blah. Why are a lot of us here? What can't we learn from the enormous amount of health related info from the internet/books/magazines that we can't from a forum? It's the people you come here for. Motivation is not simply someone saying "Go Go Go!" to you. It's more general.

Disclaimer: Now I know little of your situation, so what I just said is pure speculation. Rant away at me if it makes you feel better.
    Last edited by Talontsiawd; 10-20-2003 at 08:06 PM.

and my advice was "let it go - there are a lot worse situations to be in".

and i still stand by that advice.

and actually i rarely take anyone's advice - i guess that's why i'm pretty sure he will survive this little drama. you make your mistakes, you learn form them, you move on.

after hunger and thirst is met, and life situation is safe and much complete, comes drama.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

exactly.

if we had a good old fashioned ground war or famine, i think it would bring a lot of people's priorities into perspective.

Tryska, this might sound stupid, especially coming from me, a young schmuck with half the life experience you have, a young man, who might have a pretty decent normal life, can sometimes just actually be lovesick, and lovesick is not hornyness or any primitive hormone rush, its the need to feel a girl, to touch her, talk to her, to know that she wants to touch you and talk to you, and when you go to long being lovesick, a year perhaps, its a-typical of a young man to be extremely lovesick, and it can make him think his situation is so much worse than it is, its totally different for a woman/girl, you are often in a position where you just have to play the game, wait a bit and play it some more. Its harder for a young man, it just is.
    Exactly! This is exactly how I was feeling about a week ago, I was with a girl for about a month, then we broke it off and I felt terrible! But then I figured out, it wasn't her I mean I didnt get that attached to her that quickly, but I missing all the little things that I used to have with my girlfriends, the things at the time I didnt really realize how much I enjoyed. Such as just having somebody to go home to and walk tv with it. Or to give a big hug/kiss to each time I saw them.

And stabber I'm only 19, I was feeling like you too, I'm almost finished my degree. But I dont know what's next. I live with my parents also. But then I got to thinking, I've got my WHOLE life ahead of me. Lots of great friends, more coming everyday and girls will come and go, just keep your eyes pelled.

Also dont expect girls to just fall on your lap, it doesnt happen. I was like that from 16-19, I figured I just wasnt attractive to girls and that was that. Until I actually started trying to approach girls. I found out they thought I was cute and mysterious but almost stuck up because I kept to myself.

So just get out there and live life, after all thats what life is for, LIVING.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I just reread this thread.

And I'm kind of disappointed.

Here's the thing folks... "BAD" is a relative term. Some of the folks on here have been through very difficult situations in their life... Situations brought on by the Four Horsemen, if you will. To those that have been through that, a prolem like Stabber's seems rather trivial.

I'm also sure that for people who have suffered third degree burns across 80% of their body, the horror situations for others are but mere trifles.

But for those who haven't experienced those things, the "worst" day in their life may very well be the day that they got an F on a test. The day that they scratched their parents car. The day they wake up alone and feel the need for support.

So the question is, is there an absolute?

Many of you would say 'yes', there is. We can somehow attempt to rate these horrible situations with degrees of severity.

The truth? No, you most certainly cannot. As I said earlier, it's all relative. If Stabber had been shot forty times and lived to tell about it, this situation may not be as big a deal to him as it is now.

But does that make it any less significant in the present? In the now? No, it doesn't.

Those of you telling him that he's lame for feeling lost and down, you're just plain wrong.

If this is horrible to him, then it is horrible. Who are you to tell someone what's bad and what isn't? NO ONE has that right. No one.

When I see someone like Stabber feeling lost and downtrodden, my first instinct isn't to chuckle and tell him "Buck up, buddy. There are people out there with REAL problems." That's bull****. To him, this is a REAL problem. And the only world he knows is his own. So I respect his problem as much as I do anyone else who feels down. It's not my right to tell him he's a wimp. He's not. This is tough to him. And it should be.

How would any of you feel if someone came up and told you that the way you were feeling is trivial? Probably angry.

"So your family died in a car crash? C'mon man, there are people out there with worse situations."

"So you tripped and broke a toe? C'mon man, there are people out there with worse situations."

"So you suffered a horrific accident in which you lost the ability to move, talk, eat, sleep, everything. C'mon man, there are people out there with worse situations."

Just about everyone I know that has gone through what some of you would consider "serious hard times" doesn't feel like that. They truly feel for those that are down, for any reason. You never know, maybe it IS the worst day in that person's life.

Bottom line is don't trivialize anyone's sorrow. You're not in a place to do that. Maybe you've even been in the same situation (most of us have). Does that give you the authority to say, "****, quit that man. Don't act like a baby." Hell no, it doesn't. Maybe you're tougher. Good for you. Maybe you're not. It's not my place to say.

So before you pass judgement on people for feeling down, just think about it all in relative terms. What may be trivial to you may be horrific to them. Just don't point that out.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Wannabebig Member
    word. x2

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino

So before you pass judgement on people for feeling down, just think about it all in relative terms.
    careful with the "J" word.

in any case - my input is sitll the same - You WILL live through it - all it takes is an attitude adjustment, so get over the pity party and start fixing things.

go get yourselfs a copy of 'How to get what you want and want what you have' by John Gray. this is exactly the kind of situation he adresses. Read it and try to understand it.

i read it a couple of months ago and started following those principles. i can honestly say that it has changed me quite a bit on the emotional and mental side.

"Uh, yeah! I just spent a half an hour reading this crap. I can't believe some of the stuff on the net. That's messed up."

30 WHOLE MINUTES!!!! I read for 90 secs and my brain hurts.....

GR yes pain is relative, but isn`t that just the very reason it can be controlled-

I never had any huge problems. and for me, it works quite well when i have a small problem to think, well it could be a lot worse.

I never really feel down.