The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Need advice

Wannabebig Member

Need advice

I've been lurking here for a while and would like for you to give me some advice.

I'm 39 and been lifting off and on since I was a teenager. I've gotten more serious the past year. I'm 5'9", 175 pounds. I run quite a bit, about 25 miles per week. Although I can cut that back since I don't enjoy it like I used to.

Here's my routine. I don't always group the muscle groups together like this, it's just what I'm doing now.

All exercises (except for legs) are done with a set of 10, set of 8 and a set of 6. I pyramid up each set. My first set is basically 50% of my 1rm, the second set at 70% and my last set at 80%. I rest 1 minute between sets. I do abs on every workout day.

Mon:
    Chest:
    Flat bench
    Decline bench
    Flat bench flyes
    Peck deck

Biceps:
    Standing bar curls
    Preacher curls
    Concentration curls

Leg presses (2 x 10)
    Reverse curls (2 x 10)

Tue
    Back:
    Lat pull down
    Wide grip pull ups
    Cable row

Shoulders:
    Front military press
    Side lateral raises
    Front lateral raises

Triceps:
    Press down
    French curls
    Tricep machine

Wed:
    Off

Thur:
    Same as Mon

Fri:
    Same as Tuesday.

Sat. and Sun:
    Off.

I do 4 exercises for my chest because I feel it's lagging. (43 1/2 inches. My biceps are 16 inches.)

I know this needs lots of revisions, but you guys have all the answers. I appreciate any recommendations you have.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1. Squat

2. More leg work.

3. drop either the peck deck or flyes

4. You probably don't need that much direct arm work.

If you like training 4 days a week as you do now, I would look at an upper/lower split or push/pull.

Did I mention squat?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks, Paul. I haven't been doing much leg work because of the running. Should I drop some reps and increase the weight on the other exercises?
    Last edited by DogLips; 10-15-2003 at 08:11 AM.

Are you progressing?

If it's working, no need to change. There are lots of ways to train and succeed - the keys are hard work and progression.

The number of reps you do isn't that big a factor. So, if what you are doing is working, and you like it, keep at it. If you don't like it, or it isn't working, change it.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not progressing, at least not very much. What should I change? Maybe try WBB1?

Depends on why you aren't progressing.

Diet OK? Sleep? Running 25 miles a week could be part of it. You could be overtrained, or undertrained.

I think there are a number of ways to train that will be very effective. My suggestion for someone who has been off and on for years and is just now getting serious might be anything from a McCallumesque 3 day a week full body routine to WBB1.

Does WBB1 appeal to you?
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Sleep is fine. 8 1/2 to 9 hours most nights. I think I do need to cut back on my running and I have recently. I feel like I have more energy now that I have done that.

WBB1 looks OK, but I'm not sure it's enough. Although I've read some threads on it and the ones who have tried it seem to like it.

What is McCallumesque's workout?

A full body workout that focuses on squat progression, done 3 times a week.

Something like this:

Squat 2x15
    SLDL 2x15
    Bench press 2x10
    Bent row 2x10
    OH press 2x10
    Chin 2x10

Then add in a shrug, curl, abs, whatever you like. I would maybe shrug one day, do curls one day, and do abs 2 days a week.

Work out on non consecutive days (m-w-f). Add weight to the squats every time you can, and do everything you can to get the 15 reps.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.