Thread: New leg day, box and static squats

Hybrid View

New leg day, box and static squats

Good lord, this was one of the harder training days. I changed up my 5x5 this week, and my leg day now is:
    5x5 Box squats
    2x10 Leg Press
    2x10 SLDL
    5 Static Squats
    2x10 Leg Press Calf Raises

For my "box" I chose a regular flat bench, it was the only thing even in the range. When I sat on it I LOOKED parallel, but didn't feel quite like I was, maybe I go below parallel normally, I dunno. When I did them it was with 20lbs less than my normal max, I "settled in" on the bench, then came off, and boy do you feel it in the hams/glutes, holy crap. So I can't be doing them too far off from right.

After my pleasant surprise with those, I crossed off the "hamstring" in "Hamstring Leg Press", and did what may be my only direct quad work it felt like. Then on to SLDLs, no big probs there.

Now I was warned that Static Squats can make you lose it, so I had the bucket next to me. Didn't need it, though I got close, and I was wobbling and trembling so bad people passing by were staring. This is definitely a test on your MENTAL toughness, which sadly today I was unprepared for. I used 60lbs less than my 5rep max, and still couldn't hit 50 seconds (maybe had 40 my first one, all downhill from there). I went about a quarter down, did 5 of em with 1.5 minute rests for lack of a better idea how to go about it.

By the time I did my wuss calf raises and some stupid cable crunches my shirt was soaked thru..... everywhere. Never sweat more than that. During the workout I felt like I could be doing better, but not bad for the first week of new exercises. If you have never tried variations on your squat, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Now, 2 questions: I could have used a different seat for my "box", but I would have been noticeably below parallel, I would think it's better to be a touch above parallel, otherwise what's the point of the box. If my only goal is mass, do I need to be worried about the height of my "box"?

And.... do leg press calf raises work for anyone? I feel the stretch, but not the same burn I do with normal raises.

If your only goal is mass, why are you doing a box squat?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.