Thread: leaning forward too much when squatting

Never Satisfied.

leaning forward too much when squatting

I have made a few posts about my squat problems over the last year or so. The problem being that I can't seem to do them like.... right. On my leg day this week, I finally found another guy in my gym who does squats (there's about 4 of us) who was actually doing squats at the same time as me. So I asked this guy to watch my form for me and tell me if he notices anything that might be wrong. He said he thinks I lean forward too much.

He could be right, because the only place I really feel squats is in the wayyyy bottom part of my quad, like right above the knee. If I lean forward to much, then maybe that is why I only feel it there.

What exactly would be causing me to lean too far forward, and how do I fix it? I don't think it's too much weight, because I had him watch me 2 sets, one of which had barely anything on the bar.

Any ideas?
    22 - 5'11 - not big enough yet

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

Flexibility issues in the ankles. Bar not set properly on back. Not looking straight ahead when going down or up. Not driving through the heels.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

What max said......also try doing front squats and/or box squats. That should help in correcting your form.
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

How wide is your stance? If it's narrow it can be harder to balance and cause your body to lean forward. I know that has helped my squat posture as I am 6'3" and have to control not leaning forward as much with heavy weight. I take a stance a step wider than my shoulders and point my toes a bit outside, not too much though. Don't want to stress the knees.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Wannabebig Member
    You want to push through your heels. If you feel your heels taking 90% of the weight your form is probably good.

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    I sorted my form out by lowering the weight, and using a stool to just touch on (like a box squat) as long as u keep your back and abs firm and dont breathe out or relax at the bottom of the lift then then you should be ok.
    Just keep you head up and focused on something and dont lean your knees past your toes.

With squats i feel it is ok to stop after a few reps to take a breather before completing the set otherwise id probably hold my breath all the way through speicially on 20 rep squats (my favourite)
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!

Wannabebig Member
    Don't use a box or stool to stop you at the bottom of your squat. Two reasons, with the second being the most important. First- It isn't likely that you will find a box or stool that is the proper height for your personal physiology. You will just be stopping your squat at the random height of the stool. Why would you stop the range of motion of your sqaut just because a piece of furniture is there? Second- If you come down too hard, or rest on that stool or box you quite simply can hurt yourself. The amount of compressive forces that this situation can create on your spine can cause a back injury that you won't soon forget. Don't risk your back's safety with this outdated training technique.

There are lots of reasons why you might be leaning too far forward, as many mentioned before- ankle flexibility, bar placement, your individual physiology, etc. I guess what I would ask is- are you sure you are leaning too far forward? And do you think you can figure out why if you are? Find someone who knows what they are talking about, and ask them to take a look at your squat. Having another set of eyes could help.

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    I actually squat without a bar to measure my own depth and then adjust the height of the stool (padded stool) with towels etc.
    I dont sit on the stool, nor do i lower myself fast.

I simply used this technique to practice correct depth and make sure my knees were behind my toes since i have a funny left knee that i dont want to upset.
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    like tim said, check your stance. your feet should be approx. shoulder width apart. any less than that and you take a chance of awkward balance issues.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

I had the same problem, and I strained my lower back because of it, and it sucked. Now I do sumo squats, a wide stance, and REALLY concentrate on keeping my weight back to drive w/my heels. I think its a flexibility issue, in a normal stance I feel like Im going to fall backwards if I dont lean forward...
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!