The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Is protein as important 5 days after lifting as 1?

wut i mean is.. we all need at least 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight.

say your requirement per day is 200 g of protein.

is it equally as important to get 200g of protein the next day after you lift... as it is to get 200g of protein 4-5 days after you lifted (while resting)?

i know that muscle synthesis definitely does not continue at the same rate the more you rest. The sooner after you workout, the more muscle synthesis takes place, i assume.

so what's the point of getting 200 g of protein if you are resting, and muscle synthesis is barely taking place so long after your workout? can you get away with getting a little less if it's been a while since your last workout?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Is protein as important 5 days after lifting as 1?

Originally posted by TiGeR AK
    wut i mean is.. we all need at least 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight.
    The one gram of protein per lb. of bw. is just a general guideline and you can probably get by with a lot less. There are plenty of studies showing that 1.2-1.7g of protein per kilogram of bodyweight to be sufficient for strength training athletes. By providing the body with 1g per lb. you are just making sure that you are taking in adequate amounts, and it is not something that is mandatory to gain muscle.

Also diet would come into play as well. If you were following a hypercaloric diet then protein needs would probably be lower as compared to a hypocaloric diet.

say your requirement per day is 200 g of protein.

is it equally as important to get 200g of protein the next day after you lift... as it is to get 200g of protein 4-5 days after you lifted (while resting)?

i know that muscle synthesis definitely does not continue at the same rate the more you rest. The sooner after you workout, the more muscle synthesis takes place, i assume.
    Protein synthesis can remain elevated for an extended period of time, as I am sure you have heard the old saying "you grow out of the gym, not in the gym."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

so what's the point of getting 200 g of protein if you are resting, and muscle synthesis is barely taking place so long after your workout? can you get away with getting a little less if it's been a while since your last workout?
    Basically you want to make sure that you are taking in enough protein, because you don't want protein to be the limiting factor as to whether or not you increase LBM. As I mentioned above, this does not necessarily mean that you have to take in exactly 1g of protein per lb. of bw.

Banned
    would it be correct to assume that

you need more protein the closer you are to your last workout in terms of days?

Originally posted by TiGeR AK
    would it be correct to assume that

you need more protein the closer you are to your last workout in terms of days?
    Yes

The interview with John Berardi on the main page has some interesting theories on protein intake, which you might find interesting.

I've asked this question a couple times, never got a great answer. Most people just say you grow out of the gym or some other moto.
    I have no science but I think logic tells after some period of time you don't need as much protein since you body is not recovering and growing.
    The question is how many days. I've wondered this when missing work outs, should I keep eating big. I cut back on carbs, cause I figure I don't need the fuel. I try to keep my protein level the same, but put more emphais the first few days after working out.

Banned
    i feel you man..

it's like.. why fill up your gas tank if you're not driving anywhere?

if you're driving around a lot.. it makes sense to fill up your gas tank... when working out a lot and recovering... u need a lot of carbs and protein (fuel).

but if you're basically all recovered after a few good day's rest.. ur not really "driving around" too much.. so i don't see the need to fill up on as much fuel.

Not a bad analogy. If your not loading your motor down don't need as much fuel.

Originally posted by Berserker
    I have no science but I think logic tells after some period of time you don't need as much protein since you body is not recovering and growing.
    Protein synthesis remains elevated for extended periods of time after training (up to 48 hours according to the study above), so to say your body is not recovering and growing is not quite accurate.

The question is how many days. I've wondered this when missing work outs, should I keep eating big. I cut back on carbs, cause I figure I don't need the fuel. I try to keep my protein level the same, but put more emphais the first few days after working out.
    Sure there is a point at which your calorie needs would decrease, such as during an extended layoff. Do you often take more than 2 days off from the gym in a row?

The poster's original question was should he keep protein intake the same, not calories. Calorie cycling is a valid approach, and can be quite effective, especially in reference to a hypocaloric diet.

Yes I have a life and do take more then 2 days off. For the last few months I leave town friday after work and come back on Sunday.

I nver said your body isn't recovering, but how for how long? After 3 days I wouldn't worry to much. No science, just opinion though. Alot of people aroundf worry about stuff that might make .5% differance in gain.

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    surely you should keep eating same cals even on days off (even more so due to protein synthesis peaking the day after you train) because every excess 3500 cals of clean bulking food can possibly add 1lb of lean mass, this does depend on how your body responds to overeating as it were.

Some peoples bodies discard excess, some store it as fat and some simply add more mass due to anabolism.

I say keep eating if gaining mass is your goal.
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!

Muscle just don't grow cause you feed them, once your grown. It takes more then excess cals to bulk.
    Also were not talking about a day or 2 after working out, how many times can I say that? The point is after a few days your body is thru growing. How many days is a good question.