The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Welcome to journal land. If you find that you're just not gaining, you may very well need to start counting calories. As the others have said, you have a great base to start adding on the pounds with.

Some of those weights you're pushing and pulling are good already. Some need work (deads) but those will come very quickly. Keep at it.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

i WILL be big.
    Yeah, it's true there are serious imbalances between exercises, but it's totally understandable, since I've been doing some for a long time, and some I'm trying for the first time (like the deadlifts for example, believe it or not).

Originally posted by Seb

I also need to drink WAY more. I only urinate maybe 3-4 times a day, and it's always pretty yellow (sorry for the details), I feel like I have to drink a lot more, and more water as well, instead of the usual fruit juices and soft drinks. I'm not going to count calories, but the least I can do is clean up my act, at least out of respect for the people that really put in a lot of dieting efforts here.

Signing out for now!
    3-4 times a day? Man alive, I do that before leaving for work!

Try to get at least a gallon of water into ya each day. Nice workout btw.

i WILL be big.
    Just came back from today's workout:

12:30pm, 157lbs!!

Flat BB Bench Press.........8.5x185
    set 2................................7x185
    Low Incline DB Press...........8x75
    set 2....................................7x75
    Machine Dips...........................8x270
    set 2........................................8x270
    BACK
    Chin Ups...........................6xBW+30 (2xdrop to BW)
    set 2.................................6xBW+25 (2xdrop to BW)
    Deadlifts.........................9x165
    set 2.............................10x165
    Bent-Over BB Rows.......11x135
    set 2.........................10x155
    Shrugs (x10)............12x70

I'm totally spent. Saw stars after deadlifts. All in all, a great workout, I'm getting used to the exercises that are new to me, which is a good thing because I will be able to start concentrating on pushing/pulling more weight now. As you can see, I actually increased weights/reps on some exercises during the course of the workout, and they are all pretty uniformly higher than last week's workout.

I'm hoping my form is good on deadlifts and bent-over BB rows, I think it is, but what do I know, I'm not really thinking straight while lifting those kinds of weights...

My forearms are toast, as I do not use any kind of aid in gripping the BB/DB when doing heavy lifting exercises. I hope this keeps my forearms in line with the rest of my body.

I need to buy a plate-holding belt-thingy. I can increase the weights for chin ups by strategically placing a dumbbell between my feet, but the dips apparatus is too low for this, so I have to resort to machine dips, which I'm guessing are a hell of a lot less effective (the mere fact that I'm pushing 270 is testament to this).

Also, I'm now 157, before lunch. This is a clear inrease in weight, muscle mass I hope, but extraordinary nonetheless since to weigh 157, I used to have to eat alot throughout the day and weigh myself after dinner. I'm ecstatic.

Motivation is at an all-time high, I think working out less times per week is actually helping a lot in this regard, because I'm always longing to go to the gym and lift weights, so when I finally get to do it, I'm all pumped. Yay!

P.S.: Have you noticed how some shirts absorb BO like crazy and you can never get them to smell nice even after repeated washes? I made the mistake one day to work out in one of those cotton funk-absorbing tee-shirts, and now it always smell like it came off the back of a sweaty pig-man. And I don't sweat much while working out! Wore it today, felt like sharing.
    Last edited by Seb; 10-20-2003 at 12:05 PM.

i WILL be big.
    oh yeah, I'm peeing like crazy now, like every couple hours...
    I actually woke up early to pee this morning... which I guess is a good thing, right?

the eating is going well too, I'm eating more often, and thus consuming more than before. usually quality stuff, lots of protein (pasta, meat), fruits too.

this is shaping up to be a successful experiment!

i WILL be big.
    is it possible to drink too much?

i WILL be big.
    Legs today:

Squats
    8x205
    5x225

Hack Squats
    8x135
    7x135

Leg Curls
    8x110
    6x110

Straight Legged DB Deadlifts
    9x80
    7x85

Standing Calves Raises
    16x165
    14x165
    15x165
    15x165

Hack squats really feel weird, I have never done them before and the movement is definitely not natural. I'll try to check out the proper way to do the movement, because right now, although it does work the quads, it feels like I'm not doing it right. Any pointers?

Squats felt really good, especially after a day's work, I went a little overboard with the 225 attempts, but still made it 5 times, next time I'll make it 6-8 for sure, I'm gaining leg strength like crazy, which was to be expected. I'm wondering whether I should go on with normal squats or do full squats instead. I think I'll keep doing the normal ones, probably more stress on the quads that way, and less chance of messing up my knees.

Still impressed with how much I can straight-leg-deadlift, and I'm sure I'm doing it right, legs are straight, back as well... I'm actually reaching the limits of my grip here, had to drop the dumbbells on the floor after my last rep.

I weighed in at a solid 159lbs, before eating dinner, so I'm still putting on weight, yippee!

Friday, shoulders and arms. Tommorrow, I'll try doing solid ab work.

Read an article or two on Pavel Tsatsouline, the "Evil Russian", I'm thinking of buying one of his books. He really emphasizes functional size and strength, which is totally in accordance with my principles, and he talks about psychological muscle control and doing many sets of low reps, not going to exhaustion. He used to train Spetznatz troops, is now working for SWAT teams in the U.S., so I'm sure I could get something out of his methods/principles... Haven't been able to gather what the BB world really thinks of him and his teachings though. We'll see. For now, I'll try to apply what little I've learned from the small articles I've read.

links:
    http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/151russ2.html
    http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/152russ2.html

a good read!
    Last edited by Seb; 10-22-2003 at 10:50 PM.

i WILL be big.
    Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps today:

SHOULDERS
    Military Press
    8x100
    6x100

Seated DB Press
    6x60 (cheated towards end)
    7x55

TRICEPS
    Narrow Grip Bench Press
    6x155
    8x145

French Press
    8x76
    7x76

BICEPS
    BB curls
    8x91
    6x91

Hammer Curls
    8x45

weighed in at 157lbs
    workout start time: 12:30pm

felt pretty good today, but I think I'll have to hold back a little bit on the weight increases, I think I got a little carried away on some exercises. Also, I think I'm not doing the military presses perfectly, I'll need to check out the proper technique, they don't feel totally right.

thus ends week 2 of the WBB program #1
    decent weight increases pretty much everywhere, overall satisfying, still waiting for real visual results, but I have to be patient. I think I'll do a major re-evaluation at the end of week 4 or 5.
    Last edited by Seb; 10-24-2003 at 12:14 PM.

i WILL be big.
    Beginning of Week #3 of new resolutions/WBB routine #1

GREAT workout today, chest-back:

Workout start - 1:00p.m.
    BW - 156lbs

CHEST
    Flat BB Bench Press
    6x190
    6x190

Low Incline DB Press
    7x80!!
    6x80 (with slight cheating at the end)

Machine Dips
    7x275
    7x275

BACK
    Chin Ups
    7xBW+30
    6xBW+30

Deadlifts
    10x175
    10x185!!

Bent-Over BB Rows
    9x155
    10x155

DB Shrugs
    12x75

Felt great throughout chest, raised my deadlifts weight yeat again by a wide margin, 200 is near. I still cannot believe I incline benched 80 pound dumbells!!!

No body weight increase this time, however, it was before I ate lunch. Right now I probably weight a couple more pounds.

This new program is working great, and without counting calories (still eating A LOT though) or taking supplements of any kind... I discovered new veins running across my pec, through my shoulder, and to my bicep yesterday. I am pumped!
    Last edited by Seb; 10-27-2003 at 02:06 PM.

I've looked through Pavel's books at a local book store. His principles are definitely sound and very good, though it isn't anything new. He does do a good job of explaining things in layman's terms, whereas more typical strength books might be a bit more complicated. Seems like they are a bit expensive for what you get, but I'll probably get Power to the People eventually, just because its a neat book to page through.

You might want to look around the powerlifting forum here if you are more interested in functional strength.

i WILL be big.
    LEGS today
    157lbs - 12:15pm

Squats
    3x225 drop to 5x205 (overestimated myself big-time here)
    8x205

Hack Squats
    9x145
    8x155
    (they still feel weird, hope I'll get used to them)

Leg Curls
    6x115
    6x115

Straight Legged DB Deadlifts
    9x85
    8x90 (will have to start using barbell, 90s are biggest DBS in gym)

Standing Calves Raises
    15x175
    12x185
    13x195
    10x195
    (I'm starting to do them better, keeping my equilibrium and all... still tend to touch my heel down to the floor on the return. I'll keep the weight the same until I can do them properly, without touching down at the end)

All in all, a good workout, no spectacular BW increase, but definite strength improvements, weight increases all over the board except squats, last time I did them I had a partner, which tends to motivate me even more. I need to find somebody to work out with, but no luck so far in matching schedules with anybody willing...
    Last edited by Seb; 10-29-2003 at 03:08 PM.

i WILL be big.
    Shoulders and Arms day today...
    158lbs (up a bit!) @ 1:00pm

SHOULDERS
    Military Press
    9x100
    6x105
    improvement

Seated DB Press
    6x60
    8x55
    did them better than last time

Standing Lateral Raises
    11x35
    9x35
    more and more strict on these

TRICEPS
    Narrow Grip Bench Press
    8x150
    8x150
    ready to put on more weight on those

French Press
    7x81
    7x81
    up 5lbs

BICEPS
    BB Curls
    6x96
    7x91
    the 96s were fairly strict, the 91s perfect. next time, 96 both sets.

Hammer Curls
    8x50
    felt ridiculous with those big dumbells at the end of my small little girly arms... but pulled them off!

I also did two sets of hanging leg raises, good for coordination. I then followed that with some decline crunches, then used a 35lbs plate to do the next set of these. Finally, I finished up with some regular crunches. I don't want my abs to completely disappear.

--==THUS ENDS WEEK THREE OF THE WBB ROUTINE #1==--

Great workout. I don't know if there are visual improvements to my body, it's hard to tell because I see myself every day, but I got a nice comment from a girl who hadn't seen me in a long time (tee-hee!), and my strength is definitely up quite a lot. I can now pick up my overweight but 12 year old sister really easily, whereas it was getting harder and harder before I started the routine.

I am eating quite a bit, and more often than before, but I think my diet needs work. The good news is that I eat fairly clean, lots of protein rich foods, like pasta, meat, and so on, and I drink a huge bowl of chocolate milk in the morning, which I had pretty much stopped doing a couple years ago. As I don't drink milk otherwise, this will be good for my calcium intake.

I'm wondering whether or not I should add another day to my workout routine, to do more leg work.
    For example, I could do legs on Monday, Chest & Back on Wednesday, Legs again on Thursday, and Arms & Shoulders on Friday. Would that work? I know I won't get any answers here, nobody reads this, which is understandable, but I'll the question elsewhere.
    Last edited by Seb; 10-31-2003 at 02:31 PM.

i WILL be big.
    --=BEGINNING OF WEEK 4 OF WBB ROUTINE #1=--

(Took place November 3rd, didn't have time to post yesterday)

158lbs - 2:45
    Chest and back today

CHEST
    Bench Press
    7x195
    6x195
    weight went up

Incline DB Press
    6x80
    7x80 (cheated slightly at the end)
    more strict than ever before, I'm starting to get the hang of this weight

Machine Dips
    7x280
    7x280
    weight went up

BACK
    Chin Up
    7xBW+35
    6xBW+35

Deadlift
    9x185
    8x195
    weight went up

Bent-Over BB Rows
    12x155
    9x155
    This is the first time I feel I did them properly, especially the second set.

Workout was negatively influenced by the fact I did not have my training sheet with all my weight, reps, etc., so I had to guess what the proper weight was. All in all, I guessed properly most of the time, so good workout still, but my concentration was down a notch.

Weight stayed at 158lbs, a little disappointing since last weigh-in was several days before. I think I will need to re-evaluate my eating habits. Either I'm not eating enough (don't think so), or I'm not eating the right stuff (maybe), or I'm not eating properly, on the right schedule (maybe), or a combination (likely).

I'll have to ask on the proper forum, and maybe start counting calories (as if I had the time to do so...).

Overall, I posted my general feelings on the members pics section, I feel I haven't made enough improvements body weight-wise, and size-wise, although, contradictorily, I have made significant strength increases.

After several years of overtraining cycles, I think I might actually be slightly undertraining with this routine. I'll try to step up the rythm for a while after then end of week 4, and see how I feel after one or two weeks of that.

Otherwise, family problems are looming, my parents are starting to seriously get on my brother's ass for his abscence of purpose in life and for his job as a bus-boy in a local club. I feel they are overreacting, although I agree with them that he should find a goal and stop working there. The situation came to a boiling point when my ULTRA conservative father saw him get back from a party at 4:30am smelling of alcohol. He is completely anti-drinking, and is not a very understanding person. We will see what happens, but I predict frequent word storms, a constant feeling of general uneasiness, and overall crappy family atmosphere for the nex few weeks.

Today started with me falling down from a 15-foot ladder, which was pretty funny (only bruises), as one of my coworkers saw the whole thing and thus could share the moment with me. Hilarious. The day proceeded on to be pretty crappy, weather-wise as well as generally. I am now looking forward to its conclusion, watching some TV and a good movie on the ol' Seb'O'Plex. Did I mention I was a huge home theater freak?

Last movie watched was Matrix: Reloaded, which was awesome in spite of definite and easily identifiable flaws. Watched it twice in two days, which had never happened before.

Next movie will be The Italian Job.

Look for my post tomorrow, leg day. Should be intense.
    Last edited by Seb; 11-04-2003 at 07:50 PM.

Good work so far on WBB #1! I know that you're disappointed, but gaining an average of 1 lb/week is about perfect. Any more and you'd probably just be putting on extra fat. Also, when starting on a lower-volume routine, it's tempting to think you're not doing enough, but you can actually make better gains if you stick with it.

My brother is a home-theater nerd, too. He fixes up broken circa-1980's projection TVs, which turned out to be a really cheap way to put a $20000 TV in our home basement. He also has one in his dorm room, which is funny, because his studying keeps him far too busy to watch movies.

i WILL be big.
    Thanks for the comments Scott. I was actually feeling a bit down when I wrote them, doesn't happen too often but I'm human too!

Actually, after reading several articles and books on weightlifting and bodybuilding, I tend to agree that a pound a week is still pretty good, especially for a hardgainer like me. Let's see how long it takes me to get to 170!

I'll stick with the same routine for a while, until I stop making gains. I'll take some more pictures and measurements soon though, to make sure I'm on the right track.

Thanks again, I thought nobody read this anymore but me!

No way bro, I be reading too from time to time -
    ...you must be a cool dude, only few can laugh of falling off the ladder mang -

Did you know that the Matrix Revolutions gets released this week (hope to see it)
    ...The Italian Job was a good flick if I must say so myself - you'll enjoy it bro!

i WILL be big.
    The Italian Job was very good, good sound and picture, nice story, well-crafted action, and Marky Mark from the Funky Bunch was there!

I have decided to start counting calories to maybe identify a problem. I'll post what I ate here, with the time, and I'm also using Fitday, link is in my signature. Everybody thinks (knows?) I'm crazy now.

I'll go see the Matrix Revolutions today, most likely.

10:00am
    -3 Nutella (Hazelnut Chocolate Spread) Toasts
    -2cup serving of malted dry mix chocolate milk (2%)
    -Half a cup of orange juice

I need to take a huge dump now, so if you'll excuse me...
    Last edited by Seb; 11-05-2003 at 08:47 AM.

i WILL be big.
    Hey hey, here's the skinny on the remainder of the day, one meal left...

LEGS TODAY, YEEHAAW!!
    158lbs - 1:45pm

Squats
    7x215
    6x215
    almost crapped my shorts... yay!

Hack Squats
    8x165
    7x170
    I cannot get the hang of that movement, it seems weird somehow, I have to thrust my hips at the end of it so that the bar clears my hamstrings, which feels wrong for the back... I would use a machine, but there is none in the gym.

Leg Curls
    7x115
    6x115
    harsh.

Straight-Legged DB Deadlift
    9x90
    9x90
    Biggest dbs in the gym, I need to start using a barbell to use more weight... My grip was giving out at the end of the movement, so I'm pushing the envelope there too, nice...

--=Here my leg routine was interrupted by a guy doing bent-over rows in the squat rack, so I couldn't do my calves raises. I thus proceeded on to wait until he was finished with some good ab work.=--

Decline Sit-Ups
    45lb plate on chest x12
    45lb plate on chest x10

Standard Crunches
    x22
    x20

Hanging Leg Raises
    x15
    x12

--=Leg workout resumes=--

Standing Claves Raises
    15x195
    12x195
    13x195
    14x195
    I'm finally getting the hang of that move, my heels are not always touching down now, it's still hard to keep my balance with so much weight on my toes on a small piece of wood!

All in all, except for what I mentioned above, a good workout.

I'm not going to list all the food I ate today here, it would be redundant, just take a look at my Fitday link in my sig if you're curious, and I know you are.

I will give the summary, however. With one meal left (probably small), here is my intake today:

source grams cals %total
    Total:------3957
    Fat:---------140--1257---32%
    -Sat:--------49----441---11%
    -Poly:-------24 ---217----6%
    -Mono:------55---491----13%
    Carbs:------430--1648---42%
    -Fiber:-------18-----0------0%
    Protein:-----253--1012---26%
    Last edited by Seb; 11-05-2003 at 06:23 PM.

Originally posted by Seb
    Nutella

i WILL be big.
    lol

eating a banana right now, my total will be well above 4000 calories for the day, after tonight's last meal, which I understand to be quite alot...
    if that doesn't achieve the desired bulking effect, then what will?

I'll try to keep this up.

...nice leg work dude, I'd drop those type of hacks if you ain't fellin'em -

keep up the good work bro -

i WILL be big.
    that's the thing, they feel awkward, but I really do feel the quads burning afterwards... I'll keep 'em and get used to them, I guess.

thanks for the comments!

I hope I'm able to ingest as much today as yesterday, it will be hard! I have to cut on the fat a bit, I guess...
    Last edited by Seb; 11-07-2003 at 09:36 PM.

i WILL be big.
    All right, today was arms and shoulders day.

start time 1:30pm - 159lbs (I should break 160 by next week, woohoo!!)

SHOULDERS
    Military Press
    7x105
    7x105

Seated DB Press
    6.5x60
    5.5x60
    the .5 is for cheating the last rep

DB Side Raises
    11x35
    10x35
    stricter than last week

TRICEPS
    Narrow-Grip Bench Press
    8x155
    6x155
    I admit, I cheated some reps. I'll go lower or the same weight next week and do them better, I promise.

French Press
    6x86
    7x81

BICEPS
    BB Curls
    7x96
    7x91

Hammer Curls
    8x50

--=THUS ENDS WEEK 4 OF THE WBB ROUTINE #1=--

Pretty good workout, I'm starting to cheat on some exercises, I need to kill that trend in the womb before it gets excessive. Too enthusiastic on the weight increases I guess...

Striving for 4,000 calories a day now that I'm counting. I'm having trouble with the carbs/fat/protein split though. I find I have too much fat and carbs in my diet, although it is quite clean. I'd have to eat crazy amounts of meat to establish an equal balance between the three. Or is an equal balance utopic and I should simply concentrate on getting more of everything? I think I'm gaining a little fat, which can be interpreted as a good thing; I'm eating more than enough, my muscles are not missing any nutrients!

Still sore from the ab workout on Wednesday, it's Friday... great!!

I'm seeing some good progress on my legs' size, however I still can't really identify each quadricep muscle properly, so I still have a lot of work to do. But I'm getting there, slowly but surely!

Until next time, I'm signing off.

i WILL be big.
    --=START OF WEEK #5 OF WBB ROUTINE 1=--

chest and back day today
    start time 1:00pm
    [b]WEIGHT 161.5lbs[b] WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

CHEST
    BB Bench Press
    6.5x195
    7x195
    forgot to concentrate enough on first set

Incline DB Press
    7x80
    7x80
    did them nice and clean, impressive

Machine Dips
    8x285
    8x285
    people were looking at me weird... one more plate, and I'm running out of weight on that one... it'll be a couple more weeks though.

BACK
    Wide-grip Chin Ups
    8xBW+35
    6xBW+35

Deadlifts
    9x205
    8x205
    these are awesome, I love them, and am getting better.

BB Bent-over Rows
    7x185 serious cheating
    10x165
    the weight on the first set was a mistake, I thought I had put on 165, and was wondering why it wasn't going so well...

DB Shrugs
    12x80

So there I go. Finally broke the 160lbs barrier, for a 7lbs improvement since I started the routine a month ago... Only a little of which is fat.

I am eating a lot right now, about 4,000 calories every day, I'm having lots of trouble eating protein however, I need more meat in my diet. I still don't know what the proper carb/fat/protein split should be...

Imrpovements are starting to be quite visible everywhere, and strength is up like crazy. Should be a good week this week, like most others. Motivation is still sky-high, I will maybe take pictures at the end of this week or at the beginning of the next.

Looking forward to using 200lbs on the bench, and two plates on the deads!!!

...past of couple sessions were sweet, keep up the great effort and improvements bro! -