Thread: Job Hunting

Job Hunting

Hey all,

I haven't been around in ages, but I just wanted to let you know I have 205 (yes I'm counting) days till graduation

I have recently started job hunting. Most of the companies I'm applying with a large, very corporate, and it's mostly through resume drops and via websites.

My question to you all is, has anyone else only ever applied via website and electronical resume drops? I have only heard from one company so far out of 6. I'm not sure if this is good? What the turn around time on contact is? etc.

Any input is appreciated

BTW if anyone wants to help my job hunt I graduate May 8th, 2004 with a BS in Agriscience and a specalization in Animal Science. My past job experience involves about 5 years of combined marketing, PR, customer service type of stuff.

I do have an extensive portfolio to show people if anyone ever offers me an interview (and yes this is in my cover letter)

So if anyone has any insight on corporate hiring, job hunting, etc. I'd love to hear it

Getting jobs are all about networking, IMO. Think of all the jobs you've had. How many of them did you get because you knew somebody? Then again jobs and careers I see differently. I can only say I've had one "career" type job, and that company sucked. So what I'm saying is...don't listen to me. I know nothing
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Every resume you send out, follow up! 2, 3, 5 calls. Get on their ass as hard as you can, even if you feel like you are bugging them. That is part of the game that is being played between companies and job hunters, especially these days. They respect that. They are looking for someone who is going to be persistant and aggressive because it is very competitive out there. Good luck!
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    I would keep on doing resume drops, if a company gets like 30 resumes from you. It tells them that you're very interested in working for them. If not, they're bunch of underappreciating bastards.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

I think that a standard would be 1 response in 20 from a unfollowed internet/drop. At least that's how it was for all of my friends that graduated at the same time as I did.

They are getting thousands of other people doing the same thing. I'm with rpffly, you need to call and call. Try to find out the recruiters name and contact them directly. You will eventually be able to get them on the phone.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

See I'm applying for a position anywhere in the US, since I need a decent first job I'm willing to go anywhere. So Every regional office is different and when you submit via the internet you never know where it truely goes. I'm going to double check the info and see what I come up with as in an office for HR.

I just really want a decent job *sigh* The good news, I had 2 profs and advisors critique my resume, hardly any changes needed

Get a fax number and fax it or get the persons name and mail it to their attention.
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

Some suggestions, one of which has already been made. Follow up on all resumes submitted. Give them a call, saying that you dropped off your resume, etc. Give them something to remember your name by more then just a piece of paper out of a hundred.

Two, customize your application for the company/job you are applying for. The same resume doesn't work for every job. If they are looking for someone that's friendly and has experience using x, then make sure you have a little profile under your name listing these qualities and giving examples of it. Here's an example:

"Computer Information Systems student with high GPA in all technical classes, a willingness to learn and a strong desire to move into the programming and software development industry. Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills with 5 years’ experience in customer service."

(That was for one for a small programming company looking for customer service/team work skills)

Three, list technical skills, or transferable skills in an order that's easy to go through. Try to match them up with the job as well. Those that you think are most important, or they even list in the application.. put first. Most people just browse through the first time, looking for key words. Make sure you have those keys words easy to find.

Seeing as you've had it checked over, I'm sure this isn't a problem, but just in case.. Experience from a job shouldn't be what your jobs description was, but what you -did- for the company. Quantify if you can.

"Was responsible for helping X amount of customers, averaging y dollars sales per day over a z amount of time" sounds nice. "customer service" says the same thing, but the first way impresses.

Four, if it's submitted by email, you might want to look up scannable resumes.

Five, do some information interviews with the companies you want to work for. Phone up the manager, or a supervisor, and have some questions prepared. Try to meet them in person if you can, and always ask if they know someone else that you can meet or talk to after your done. Do not ask for a job, just for information "How do you like your job?" "What skills must you have for a career in this business?".. etc, etc. It's a nice way to network.

That said, I'm graduating in about five days. Trying to start my own business in custom software for small to mid sized business. I've been doing nothing but networking for the last little bit, and have got a few contracts on the go. Smaller jobs, but it's a way of starting.
    LaLa

I graduated in 99 in engineering and have change companies twice since.
    The first job shouldn't be to hard to get. I did it through campus recruiting. Graduated in may signed in March. I started interview a little earlier, but didn't take them serious until later, in the winter.
    Second job I got through a headhunter, put my name on monster a couple others.
    Third job I plastered the internet. Got lots of calls, I was pciky tough. Finnally got the job by submitting a resume on a company website. Took a few weeks for them to call.
    I wouldn't be afraid to leave the area. But I wouldn't just go anywhere if you don't have to. I don't know how your field is though.

People claim its all about network, not for me. If you got a skill doesn't matter. Doesn't hurt either, I suppose.

I also tried a resume a zapper, about $30. I got some calls nothing really became of it, but it is exposure.

A good recruiting firm is Top Eschelon. If you can't find one of there recuiters let me know.

I really think for your frist job out of school the school will be your best resource. Career fairs are good. You migh have recuiters calling you on there own pretty quick.
    I just went through it, so let me know if I can help in anyway.

Nights good luck. Ever think about taking a job with someone for a couple years? People are going to be reluctant to hire a company ran by a guy who just graduated, even if you do have expereince. Not mention you probably could have had a job signed and maybe a starting bonus waiting.

I missed the career fair last week, PM-USA AMD, Enterprise, Ford, GM, etc (all LARGE companies) With 18 credits I spend a lot of time studying, so I guess I missed the announcements for it. Anyways I had a lab that evening (I passed out in lab for anyone who cares how much trauma I can handle *lol*)

I have set up an appointment with career placement services on campus (Nov 3 was her first opening) and I'm going to stop by her walk in office hours next week too.

I also have people making contacts for me, specifically in the pharm sales area.

I'm going to give the resume a once over again and Monday another advisor is going to look at it, that gives me 201 days till graduation. I should be able to find a job in 200 days right?

Do your best on the resume, there more important after school, so don't worry to much. At your level I am betting they don't exepct muct. Theres isn't much of interest, your degree and any work related expereince. The rest is fluff in my opinion. Do they really care you were captain of the chipmunk recital? No. The only people that will tell you so are people who did those things, and want to feel better about themselves.

Atleast so in my expereince. I had in demand degree, so-so grades and work experience. I look at the resume I had for my firtst 2 jobs and laugh.
    One flaw of people is putting personel info on there resumes, they don't care. After college they will be a distraction on your resume. Maybe in college, maybe, but not afterwards.
    Last edited by Berserker; 10-16-2003 at 07:27 PM.

Damn, after reading this thread,I know I did everything wrong. Well I am off to the bar with a fist full of cash.

Originally posted by Berserker
    Nights good luck. Ever think about taking a job with someone for a couple years? People are going to be reluctant to hire a company ran by a guy who just graduated, even if you do have expereince. Not mention you probably could have had a job signed and maybe a starting bonus waiting.
    I've considered it, but my thinking is this.. Right now, IT market around where I live is actually slowed down to a halt, and most businesses that are hiring are going for those with experience. While your right that any bigger business are definitely not willing to hire any company ran by a guy who just graduated, smaller companies are more then willing to do so. Also, the fact that any established IT custom software will be charging an average of around 60 dollars per hour (from those I've talked to) makes them unafforadable to many companies and easy to undersell.

That said, if it doesn't work out, then I've got more experience on my resume then the average grad. Right now I've got a project for a bar and restaruant used to track inventory and create order forms when any item goes below par stock, as well as schedule employees based on job description, employee availability and an time off request notification. Also creates daily cashouts, weekly sales, and month end profit/loss statements.

Now, I get a few more projects like that and a resume for a beginner doesn't look all that bad. So even if it does fail, I've got those extras at least. And oddly enough, I don't see much problems getting into the market, despite it being slow and despite being a startup business ran by fresh grads. Both me and partner I'm going in with are willing to go door to door if we need to, and are actually rather good at convincing people they need what we can give them (both of us have retail experience. Who would have thought it came in handy?) That said, only time will tell. I'm not quiting my job yet, cause until this is steady or I've got another career related job, I'm not willing to gamble away rent/food/student loan money.

P.S. Sorry about all grammar and spelling mistakes. Bed time.
    Last edited by Nights; 10-17-2003 at 01:15 AM.
    LaLa

As long as you can afford to take the time, it may work out great for you. By the time I got done with school I was sick of being poor. I wanted the money now. If you can hold off you may start your buisness and never look back.
    I do applaud you. Must people don't have the balls to do it, thats why must people don't get ahead.
    I've wanted to start a part time buisness but don't know what.
    Maybe get my engineers liscence. I'd love to start a motorcyle shop. But really can't find the right thing to do now.

Well I dropped my resume to Ortho-McNeil Pharm I really want this job! I also got a contact name so I will e-mail them on Monday and let then know again why I'm qualified and how much I look forward to meeting them.

Same thing with a simular position at The Bostom Beer Company (bottler of Sam Adams)

I have about a dozen more places I'm going to drop

Have you tried monster? I don't know how good it is for grads or your field, but I got lots of calls from it.

Grasshoppa
    Your resume reflects a lot as well. Perfecting your resume can increase the amount of callbacks you get.

In most cases, especially in large corporate areas, the people looking at your resume often do not know what the job entails or it is about. They get a request from a manager or supervisor or what not that tells them what the job is and what kind of qualities they are looking for in a hiree. It often consists of keywords and phrases, so what most recruiters will do with resumes is pretty much skim over and look for matching key words and phrases for what they're lookin for...

If you can optimize your resume with quite a few of them, it does a world of good. It took a year for me to optimize my resume like that, but I've gotten 90% callbacks based on my resume alone.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

I agree resume is erxtremely important, at the grad level there isn't alot to put on it yet.
    When I wnet for my third job a recuiter helped me beef mine up. Looks alot better. If it helped who knows. I think probably did.

It also comes down to your skill set and how muchin demand your job is.