The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Work chest the day after shoulders?

Ok, ok I know this has probably been asked a million times before but I couldn't find it in the search.

Is it ok to work chest the day after shoulders. Some times when I do it I feel fine, yet other times my shoulder feel soar when working my chest......

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wouldnt. Either do them on the same day or give yourself at least a day of rest then go at it. Also, I would do chest first then shoulders.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

:withstupi

Chest should get more priority and if you do train them separately, get at least a day (2 preferably) of rest in between those training days.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Banned
    Thanks for the advice

I was going to ask the same question except change shoulders to triceps what u think? is that ok?

Banned
    Originally posted by tankdogg
    I was going to ask the same question except change shoulders to triceps what u think? is that ok?
    Hmm it's a pure guess but I think it's ok. I work arms the day after chest and back day all the time.

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    chest shoulders and triceps generally are all used together, if u pick any compound lift for those muscles all 3 of those muscles tend to get used.

Dips - all used
    BP(any variation) - all used
    OH press - all used
    standing OH press - all used
    military press - all used

ok im running out of upper body compounds...

but you see how they all connect so why split them?

the only exception is that big back exercises tend to work your traps which are an upper body muscle, and therefore if u do big back lifts you are hitting your shoulders indirectly anyway.

What shoulder exercises are yoo doing?
    and are u like me where u have particularly weak shoulders and want them to catch up?
    You mention your shoulders sometimes hurt as well which means u might be setting yourself up for injury if your not careful (the roatator cuff gradually wears down)

Some more information on your goals and routine would help.
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!

Originally posted by tankdogg
    I'd day any arms/shoulder stuff after big compounds (Bench, rows, etc).
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Banned
    My shoulders are pretty strong.

My average routine consists of (although I do change it up quite often due to sheer bordom)

Military press (free weights)
    60's 12 reps
    65's 9-10 reps
    70's 8 reps
    75's 6-8 reps

......and 3-4 more exercise's that I don't even know what they are called

My overall goal is just to keep getting stronger and stronger and bigger too.

Ok, here is the deal. I assume when you train chest you will use some form of a pressing movement such and a flat bench press, incline press, or even dips (which I will call a pressing movement). If you do, then working chest the day after shoulders is a grievous mistake. Your shoulders are stressed greatly in any pressing exercise. If they are not recovered from an intense workout the day before, then they will limit the stress you can place on your chest during those pressing movements.

Training chest the day after shoulders would also be training shoulders 2 days in row (essentially), which would quickly lead to overtraining of the shoulders.

I would place chest training first in my order of bodyparts and then wait a day or two before I trained shoulders, or at least train chest before shoulders.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

For me I would worry shoulder, liagements, joints, tendons holding up. Shoulders are a weak spot for injuries for me.

Years ago I did a split where I did chest and back then arms shoulders next day and rotated which I did first. Probably wouldn't go that route now.
    If I was going to a have long weekend, going out of town, and wanted to get my full workout I might do it. But then I would have extra time to rest and not doing it every week.

I've always been a push pull guy, but I'd say it depends on your physique and your goal. If you're trying to catch your lagging shoulders up, then I'd recommend doing them two days after chest. Otherwise, like I said--push pull works for me.
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)