The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

The Perfect work out?!

For the past few month that im working out i didnt gain any weight and i think i didnt get much bigger either. well i at first i wasn't that worried about it, since im one of those people who doesn't gain weight and stayes skinny if i dont work out. But now i think i must be doing some thing wrong....
    so could some one tell me the best way of working out for me, i see all these articles but i get confused which one is best for me.
    And well my goal is to gain weight and musle, specially at arms and shoulder. Those are my weak area's, their quite stong but just donnt get bigger.
    Could you please also mention what is a good balance of reps and sets and how much weight i should add or shouldn't i???

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If your a relatively skinny guy, to be frank its not going to make much difference if you do a set with 12 reps instead of 8 or whatever, a new lifter usually gains mass very fast if he is eating correctly - the body is adapting to this new load.

A good start is the WBB 1 routine, this is balanced, and will condition your body into lifting weights, some excersizes which intially may seem arkawrd will become much more natural. Eat lots of good food (check out the diet / nutrition articles on WBB) to make sure your body has surplus calories to put on additional mass.
    Last edited by Exnor; 10-18-2003 at 03:19 AM.

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    Welcome to the board,
    im just like you btw
    Im the owner of a tall but thin frame and 1 bitch of a metabolism.

But the good news is, its no problem to overcome with time and effort.
    Im not going to tell you everything you need to do because its very important you educate yourself.

However i will stress some very important facts

1- You must EAT (i aim for 4000cals per day)
    2- you must train -45 mins 3 times a week (with a rest day inbetween)
    3- you MUST BE CONSISTENT dont become discouraged if it takes time, if you train and eat proper you will see a big difference in your 1st month BELIEVE ME.

This board contains a lot of good information, id recommend 1 other site simply because i found it so useful when i started to train.
    This site is very specific to our bodytypes, and the information that is free on the site is really all that you need to know for a basic understanding of what you should be doing.

www.skinnyguy.net

You dont need to buy his book or program, but id advise you read that site over and over until you understand thoroughly the concepts about gaining mass.

Spend a good month or 2 reading up on exercises and diet/nutrition and really plan out your training.
    Bodybuilding can be very expensive with food and nutritional supps (vitamins etc , not protien/mass gain powders)
    So make sure you really know what your doing before diving into training and dieting.

Any more questions direct to these boards, we all love to help and share advice!
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!

Wannabebig Member
    thanks alot for the help,
    and http://www.skinnyguy.net is gonna be very useful.
    it seems every body is thinking of eating, well i always i thought i eat good but now i guess not enough. I also want to say that i am way bigger than when i started which was 9 month ago or so, it took me like 4 month just to goto gym and wath people training and learn. But at summer when i got sick i lost like 7 kg's, so no good.
    I also wanted to ask if maybe i train too much, i usually train for 2 hours every other day, but i get a good few min break between sets and make sure the musle gets 48 hours of rest....??!!
    secound...
    it would be nice if u could suggest the method of fitnessing to have max. growth, and i mean things like how much weight to add every time, its still not very clear too me how hard i should make my mucels train....

and thanks alot for help

Zee

Don't waste your money buying the skinnyguy.net program, there's no secret in gaining weight. Get on wbb #1, eat lots of carbs,protein, good fats and get plenty of rest. Read the wbb articles in the training forum(top right hand corner) on gaining mass.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

read that site thoroughly

You will see that 2hrs is WAY TOO MUCH!

youre body type is ectomorphic, this means u should concentrate more on eating and resting (60% eating 20% getting good sleep and 20% doing compound exercises like Squats, deadlifts, benchpress)

YOU must do all three of those things.

EAT
    TRAIN
    EAT
    SLEEP
    EAT

think of it like that. The emphasis with bulking really is EATING i cannot stress that enough, and make sure to be eating healthy food.

You must eat @ least 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.
    So if you weigh 130lbs, you have to eat at least 130g of protein.
    This is vital or you will not produce more muscle.

I eat over 200g of protein a day, which there is nothing wrong with, as long as you keep your intake below 50g per meal you will not strain your liver and kidneys.

Eat six times a day and make sure every meal has protein (i aim for 40g per meal) and every meal i eat is at least 600calories.

increase your good fat intake, nuts are by far the best way of getting this good fat, but you should also have 7-8g of fish oil per day. Good fat increases testosterone production which is the hormone that ecnourages lean muscle growth.

Id recommend 100g of good fats (nut oil, healthy spreads, fish oil, vegetable oil etc)

AND do not neglect sleep.

Your body grows the most during sleep, so get 8 hrs minumum per night.

Good luck
    (cut down on your workouts!)

i agree with hahn, that program for sale isnt worth buying.

I never bought it since the free information on that site is so concise and helpful to ppl like me. There really isnt much else you could add to what is on there.

I just think it gives very clear explanations about many aspects of gaining muscle.

The program he sells just has more details about, training,diet and bascially plans out your routine for you (which isnt worth $100 since the program wont work for everyone since everyones body responds differently to different foods exercises etc)
    U can find free info about training at

www.exrx.net

And you should really plan your own diet and routines yourself with advice from experienced ppl.

IF you go to a gym try and get a good training partner who knows what he/shes doing. As long as your consistent and reliable most ppl will help you/train with you.

Just to show the difference, I went to the gym, good routine, for ages. Didnt gain any weight. Got stronger, but not bigger. Then I started eating right for a while. I gained 20lbs. That was about 3500-4000 cals and 300g of protein per day. Then I stopped eating right again and i've been stuck at 180 for a long time. Now im starting to eat right again, which should be fun!
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

:withstupi

A good diet + 6 months of training > ****ty diet + years of training

I've gained more in the last 6 months than I have in years before with little knowledge about diet.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    Tnx alot for the help guys, i will be eating alot from now on, just made my new time table. Want to check if its any good, i will be doing routine 1 from here but i dont wanna start with legs yet so here is what im thinking of....

Mon: Biceps, Sholder, Abs
    Wed: Back, Triceps, Abs
    Fri: Chest, Abs

I usually warm up by running 10 min.

And i wont train longer than 50 min.

I try to do 4 ex. per musel group. every ex. 3 Sets, 6 reps.

My main focus is arms, sholders and abs.... my chest and back is pretty good.
    and i might miss my wed. training once in awhile becuse of school then i do it at thr. would that be a problem for resting time?
    so is this any good??? any change i should make?
    Last edited by OzeeO; 10-22-2003 at 04:22 PM.

Originally posted by OzeeO

Skip Abs on wed. Twice a week is plenty of ab work.

Where the hell is leg day? Please don't tell me you don't work legs.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    squats and deads = good
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

I usually warm up by running 10 min.

Hey if I was you I wouldn't even do that. I would think of cardio as my arch nemesis! Like even standing up too quickly would burn cals more than you want.

Only training your upper body is a bad idea. Look into the routines that are outlined on the main site. www.wannabebig.com also you could skim though some journals and see what other people are doing.
    If you are dedicated and follow a few simple rules you will be fine. Eat clean eat allot get rest and train PROPERLY. If you track your cals some where like www.fitday.com You will probably realize that you don't eat as much as you think you do. Make a routine that you will follow for a set amount of time (like two months) dont jump around between different things. Make bodybuilding a priority in your life. Take before measurements and weight then take afters and see if following a good work out and diet dont put the size on you. I bet you will be surprised. Also if you start a journal you will find that there are tons of peeps who will help you reach your goals.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

Wannabebig Member
    TNX for the help
    i will try my best, trust me...
    1 more Q for now.
    my new gym which is my college gym doesnt have any ab machine with weitghs. I have to train with weight if i want to build bigger abs, right?

Yes, but look on the exrx site for exercises. You can do some with a weight plate and a bench.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

i will be doing routine 1 from here but i dont wanna start with legs yet so here is what im thinking of....

My main focus is arms, sholders and abs.... my chest and back is pretty good.

I do not think you should do that routine. Stick to the original WBB Routine 1. If you want to gain mass you MUST train your legs because leg training encourages muscle growth in your entire body. Also, you'd look very stupid with a big upper body and some thin chicken legs.