The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!!! Kenshiro's Avatar

Atkins and his net carbs

OK, I know that carb-cutting is a very effective way to lose fat. I did not know this info about Net Carbs (http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/10/9-819097.html). I just wanted to see what you guys think about that. Does that mean that only 2 grams of the carbs in my Advantage bar go into making me fatter? The wording is sooooooo well put that it avoids that question which I just asked, maybe in my paranoid fataphobic mind only. I just wanted to see what you all thought.
    You are already dead.

You are the one thing that gets me through my day. You are my strength when I need healing. I love you more than anyone else. I love you more than anything. I wish I could have you all the time but it would be bad for me. I think of you when I am tired, alone, or achy. I love you Optimum Whey Protein Powder.*

*Times have changed and I have found a new love that is better than Optimum Whey, and her name is Colleen. Just wanted to let you guys know. She is the best and she doesn't mind me working out religiously.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The net carbs are the only carbs that will impact blood sugar.

But all carbs in a bar or shake or whatever can make you fat, if your total calories is over maintenence. Any carb has 4 calories per gram (except fiber), whether it be a net carb or not.

So if you are worried about getting fat from a bar, look at the total cals, and not the net carbs.

How many calories per gram is fiber? I was had the understanding that fiber had 4 cals per gram but it wasn't as easily digestible thus not all fiber was absorbed...

Re: Atkins and his net carbs

Originally posted by Kenshiro
    Does that mean that only 2 grams of the carbs in my Advantage bar go into making me fatter
    Carbs are not going to make you fat, and overall calorie balance will be the main determining factor as to whether or not you gain weight. Although timing your carbohydrate intake around your training would be a good approach IMO, but carbs are not "bad." The Atkin's diet would not be the best approach to dieting, and if you are going to use a ketogenic diet I would recommend looking into a cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD) or a targeted ketogenic diet (TKD).

Just count the total amount of calories in the bar towards your daily calorie intake, and count the net impact carbs towards your carb count for the day. Although the sugar alcohols and other non-impact carbs contained in these types of bars can still kick some people out of ketosis.

Originally posted by Khar
    How many calories per gram is fiber? I was had the understanding that fiber had 4 cals per gram but it wasn't as easily digestible thus not all fiber was absorbed...
    Fiber is considered a carbohydrate, thus it is listed as having 4 calories per gram, but the body can is not very effecient at breakding down fiber. The bacteria in the intestines can break down fiber, and some of the energy produced can be used by the body, although it will be a negligible amount.
    Last edited by bradley; 10-21-2003 at 03:35 AM.

Here is something that I posted in a previous thread regarding fiber and energy content.

This was taken from the following page:

http://www.ib.be/cefs/dietaryfibre.htm

"Dietary fibre as an energy source

More in-depth knowledge in the field has changed our thinking about dietary fibre, especially regarding its caloric contribution. Dietary fibre was initially considered as non-caloric. However, while it is not digested in the small intestine, many indigestible carbohydrates are nevertheless later fermented to varying degrees by the bacteria in the large intestine. Fermentation results notably in the production of short-chain fatty acids. They provide, on the one hand, energy and carbon necessary for the maintenance and growth of the microflora. On the other hand, a proportion of these short-chain fatty acids is absorbed by colonic cells and provide some energy to these cells or, after transfer into the circulation, to body tissues.

Since colonic fermentation is less efficient than absorption in the small intestine, the carbohydrate reaching the colon provide about 8 KJ/g (2 Kcal/g the dietary fibre ingested is degraded in the colon."