Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pull ups dilemma!

Banned

pull ups dilemma!

I have been doing pull ups for a while,right now I am doing them using 15 lb on my back( I can do 11reps).

I got some mixed messages about what is the right way . Some would say NOT to lower your body all the way down as you will be better off having your muscle contracted,therefore you can get the best out of it.

Others would say to lower your body all the way down.

I can do either but I would like some clarification and explanation about the right way to do them.
    Thanks

Vito

I don't quite follow the logic that a partial ROM in a chin up is superior to a full ROM in a chin up.

To get maximal benifets perfrom your chin ups using a full ROM. Anyone who says otherwise is mistaken.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

All the way down (anything else is cheating)

Banned
    It make sense to do them all the way down.
    One more thing!
    What is the difference between pull ups behind your neck and the regular ones?

Does the under hand pull ups involves a good deal of biceps or only the overhand ones?
    Pull ups have become one of my favorite work out and I do them every day. Right now I can do 19 reps (no weights attached), and I use a lot of variation(wide grip,behind the neck,weights). Soon I will become and expert.LOL
    Thanks for your input

V

Others may disagree but I never do anything behind the neck (pulling or pressing) as I believe you risk rotator cuff injury.

Palms facing you is the strongest position for the biceps so they will be less likely to fail first (ie. before your back).

Rather than doing 19 reps, I think you'd be better off adding weight and sticking with 8-12 reps.

(I wish I had that choice to make )

Ditto what Hemants said about behind-the-head. This probably isn't as critical for younger people, but it seems to be a common problem once you get into your 30's and 40's. It can also lead to neck strains. Same logic goes for behind- the-head overhead presses and pulldowns.

I agree with Maki that full ROM is better. You should be careful, however, not to HANG for a long time with an excessive stretch on your shoulders.

The palm-away grip is a pullup. The palm-facing-you grip is a chinup. The chinup is easier because the biceps are used more in that position. Some people do pullups to failure and then do chinups to follow.
    Last edited by Delphi; 09-07-2001 at 04:55 PM.

Just being picky, but I think it's a good question.

What would be considered full ROM? Going all the way down and just letting yourself hang? Or what?

I let my elbows straighten completely. I keep some tension in the back muscles so that the shoulder ligaments and rotator cuff muscles don't take all the strain at the bottom.

I'm not sure whether it's good to let the back muscles completely relax so that the shoulder joints are completely "stretched". If you do let the back muscles relax completely, you shouldn't bounce off the bottom, and the very first part of the ascent shouldn't be ballistic.

Probably another case where "younger" lifters can get by with complete relaxation of the back and shoulders, but us "older" lifters might run into shoulder strain.

Any other opinions out there?
    Last edited by Delphi; 09-07-2001 at 11:43 PM.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I recently started doing hanging leg raises from the chin bar and have noticed it's a little uncomfortable on the shoulders. Just hanging like that. That is kind of like what you are talking about.

Anyone know a way to make this less uncomfortable? Should I contract my lats the whole time?
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Wannabebig Member
    i exercise on pullups around 2 times a week but barely can pass 3-4 repetition

is it just i'm to weak?? or is there any good way to increase my sterength and add more repetition????

i believe pullups is a hard routine, how many repetition can you do in pullups to be consider strong???

i can do pushup 35-40....
    Ann was sixteen when I married her. I was nineteen. I'm not embarrassed to tell the story. You see, both Ann and I were taught you must be married before sex. We had been dating since she was thirteen or fourteen. You know how intimate you get. Well, we were so in love with each other, we couldn't control it. We needed to go get married.

Banned
    Hi Rev of the Nerd,

I can do 18 pull ups with no weight and 10 or 11 with 15 lb

weight.

I do them every day at least 40 reps.

When I first started to do pull ups I was able to do 7 or 8 reps.

I kept doing over and over and now I do them only with a 15 lb back pack.
    I also do chin ups every day as part of my routine.
    Keep doing them and you will improve.The secret is repetition +push ups + dips!

V

You do pull-ups every day???
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Banned
    Yep!

Right now I am taking a break from the gym and I am doing pull ups ,push ups and running only.
    I really love pull ups!!

I love them too. I can do them with 90 pounds strapped to my waist.

I do them once a week.

Why oh why do you do them every day?
    Last edited by Alex.V; 09-09-2001 at 08:19 AM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

revenge of the nerd;
    do assisted pull ups so that you can do more reps. have someone help you or maybe your gym has a pull up assist machine.

everyone believe pull ups to be the best "back builder"?

Banned
    Belial,

Whats wrong with doing pull ups every day?
    I do 40 chin ups in the morning and 40 wide pull ups in the evening using 15 lb weight.

How many reps you do with 90lb? Sounds impresive!

V

Everyday is too much because your muscles need time to recuperate and repair themselves. When you workout and stress the muscles, you are basically destroyng them and tearing the fibers inside the muscles.

Therefore if you don't rest; you will overtrain your muscles and they really won't grow.

Try adding weight to your chins. Enough weight so you can do like 3 sets of 8 - 12 reps. And than see if you can do them everyday.

Banned
    Muscle

I do use weights for my chin ups and do them every day .
    4x15 reps.

My mistake; mis-read what you said.

But still, everyday is going to counter itself and you will end up overtraining.

this just may be a very stupid question, but what is "ROM"?
    "Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you."

"Know thyself."

range of motion

thanks

thanks, i guess i'm not quite hip to the bodybuilding lingo yet
    "Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you."

"Know thyself."

bone crusher
    yo beliel that is great!
    with 90 lbs on you how much is that?
    are you doing a curl type grip or palms away from you?

do people at the gym look at you weirdly when you do this?
    I know people stare at me when i do weighted dips. I guess i must look weird with that plate hand just under my balls...

Sh*t yeah. Palms away (pronated baby).

People definitely look at me strangely when i put that belt on, but they do that anyway since I'm usually walking around with a glare of death, pouring sweat, breathing heavily, and pushing more weight than 95% of them. lol. Which doesn't take much.

I usually do the pull-ups in the cage with the tacky grip (since nobody's ever over there anyway; chill biscuits, we've got two power cages ) Have you seen that older powerlifter walking around? Balding German guy; very cool. Generally ignores everyone and works out with a slightly bemused expression on his face. Actually made a point to come over and congratulate me on the 100 pound dips. interesting.

Anyway, shoot me an e-mail when you've got the chance. I'm working out from 3:30 - 4:30 on T, Th and 12:00 on Saturday, Sunday. (I usually work out with a friend sunday, though.)

(Back/shoulders/chest/legs respectively) Let me know how your schedule looks, we can go help beat the crap outta each other one day.

Wannabebig Member
    guys, what is the main difference between pullups and chin up??

i just check the exercise from:http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

and i can't see a big difference between those 2 exercise??? is it better doing pullups or chin ups?? and is this 2 exercise work for the same muscle??

thanks
    Ann was sixteen when I married her. I was nineteen. I'm not embarrassed to tell the story. You see, both Ann and I were taught you must be married before sex. We had been dating since she was thirteen or fourteen. You know how intimate you get. Well, we were so in love with each other, we couldn't control it. We needed to go get married.